right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Who else loves their Waterpick?

Lassie3Lassie3 210 replies21 threads Junior Member
I’ve always been good about brushing and flossing, but read somewhere that the waterpick takes it to another level. Having permanent retainers installed after my adult braces, I was ready to try it. I’m addicted now, my mouth feels even fresher after using it, and you can’t believe what is left even after brushing and flossing. If I’m home I’ll even do it after every meal and snack. Anyone else?
18 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Who else loves their Waterpick?

• thumper1thumper1 75458 replies3308 threads Senior Member
    Opposite here...I actually didn’t like mine. I was religious about using it for about a year. I just hated it. So I pitched it.

My dentist saw no difference in my dental hygiene when I stopped using it...or I would have continued.

But glad you like it...that’s what matters.
    · Reply · Share
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad 1987 replies72 threads Senior Member
    I started using waterpick upon my dental hygienist's recommendation. It's amazing how much is still left in between and under the gum even after flossing and electric toothbrush applied. I use it everyday, but not after every meal, though.
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 13100 replies244 threads Senior Member
    I love mine too.
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 3036 replies45 threads Senior Member
    I too loved my waterpik, but over time it made my gums recede. Wish I would have never used it.
    · Reply · Share
  • MassmommMassmomm 4015 replies82 threads Senior Member
    My dentist told me that if your checkups are good--limited plaque, stable gums, no decay--whatever methods you are using are good.
    · Reply · Share
  • JustaMomJustaMom 2729 replies98 threads Senior Member
    I love mine. And I agree I'm always surprised by what dislodges after brushing (electric) and a good rinse.
    · Reply · Share
  • HeartofDixieHeartofDixie 260 replies8 threads Junior Member
    edited November 14
    I have a hole where a piece of a tooth chipped off and certain foods would get lodged in there and I could not get them out, the waterpik is the most wonderful thing ever and will clean it right out. However, I have not been using it as much lately because another part of my tooth broke off and I am using dental wax to cover the rough edge until I can come up with the money for a root canal and crown, the waterpik just dislodges the wax and irritates the area. As soon as I can get that tooth fixed I will go back to using it all of the time. I also love my sonicare toothbrush.
    edited November 14
    · Reply · Share
  • collage1collage1 1817 replies72 threads Senior Member
    I tried a 'water pik' which I put in quotes bc I think it was a knock off. It was so powerful that it hurt and I definitely didn't see any debris. I'd be curious to know what waterpik people have and, if there are settings, what setting is used...in other words, am I just ultra sensitive or should I try again? And maybe I used it incorrectly??
    · Reply · Share
  • SnLMomSnLMom 651 replies19 threads Member
    I was thinking about starting this exact thread because I love my Water pik so much! I have several trouble spots where food lodges easily, but is very difficult to dislodge with floss. The Water pik flushes it out in no time along with other debris that wasn't obvious.

It's interesting that @FlyMeToTheMoon experienced gum recession as my hygienist noted an improvement in my gum health at my last 6 month cleaning. She was surprised to hear that I had been using a Water pik for only 3 weeks at that point. She will be monitoring my gums closely as her dental school training was anti-Water pik.

My unit is set at 6/10. I use it anywhere from 1 to 5x / day as needed. My gums feel clean and pleasantly tingly after each use.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3488 replies220 threads Senior Member
    My daughter first used it when she had braces as a child. Her dentist recommended it now as an adult. She has a fixed retainer and some TMJ issues so it helps to keep her teeth cleaner. The dentist also strongly recommended an electric toothbrush, which she uses for one brushing a day (using a manual one for any other brushings).
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2438 replies47 threads Senior Member
    I love mine! I only use it at night, though, on setting 4-5. My dentist notices the difference when I use it regularly.

I miss it when I travel. At one point I considered buying the travel version, but decided I don't travel enough to make it worth the money.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75458 replies3308 threads Senior Member
    I do love my sonicare toothbrush...
    · Reply · Share
  • toledotoledo 4806 replies290 threads Senior Member
    I have holes where my wisdom teeth were. (I must have had a bad oral surgeon.) Sometimes food gets stuck there, which is when I use my Waterpick.
    · Reply · Share
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad 1987 replies72 threads Senior Member
    I forgot what brand my waterpick is, but I got it from Costco. It comes with a travel unit, so 2 units total which my wife and I use at home. When we travel, we take the unit for travel. Costco has these 2-unit pack on sale frequently, so wait for it rather than paying the full price.

I started with the setting at 2, then moved up to 4-6 now.
    · Reply · Share
  • collage1collage1 1817 replies72 threads Senior Member
    @justamom, thank you!
    · Reply · Share
  • anomanderanomander 1696 replies4 threads Senior Member
    @collage1 You should start on a lower setting and work your way up. I started around 3/10 and increased every day to about 7/10, then took a few more weeks from there to get to 10/10.

Not that 10/10 should be a goal or anything, you just want the strongest that you’re comfortable with. If there’s any discomfort at all, then back off.

Personally I don’t find that my waterpik finds any extra debris, but I do notice that after eating very strongly-flavored foods (e.g. garlic) it helps clear the aftertaste more than just brushing and flossing alone.
    · Reply · Share
  • dietz199dietz199 3632 replies73 threads Senior Member
    H got braces in his 50's and the orthodontist suggested a WaterPic. We also get ours at Costco.

Both of our dental hygienists have noticed a difference. I had a few gum pockets which were a bit deep. These have resolved themselves. And yes, it is eyeopening when you see what remains to be flushed even after a solid flossing and brushing.

One does have to keep the thing sanitary. I run a mild Clorox solution thru the unit about once a month. I soak the tip in the same solution. We found that ours got moldy if left sitting in it's 'natural' state - with the pick portion upright in the holder and the water container in place. We've found it stays more sanitary if we remove the water container and leave it upside-down on the counter and leave the hose/tip draining into the sink.
    · Reply · Share