right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Upcoming changes to the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Need ideas: inexpensive EASY chocolate treats

abasketabasket 19685 replies874 threads Senior Member
@doschicos for another fundraising idea. :)

Let's see how creative you are.

Last year my organization was involved in a "Chocolate Crawl" - happens in a small college town. Local businesses and organizations host a crawl stop - and each stop features some type of "bite sized" chocolate treat. People buy tickets to attend (I forget...$10-20/ticket?) and can stop at each crawl stop and indulge. It's done on a Friday evening in winter and they only sell 500 tickets - sells out every year.

So that means I need to come up with an inexpensive easy chocolate ingredient based treat to share at my table. Some places get fancy (a couple restaurants had fancy one bite chocolate desserts) and others (IMO) whimp out and pass out bite sized candy bars.

I will need to have 500 of whatever. And I need to do this on a VERY tight budget. Last year (I'm a children's literacy program) I did individual Oreo cookies wrapped in Saran, tied with a ribbon with a "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" sticker on it - IYGAMAC was the theme of our table. Not hugely creative, but people liked that it was wrapped and so they could take it and not have to eat it right away! It also appealed to families that came with children.

Ideas???? It also has to be easy to serve. One thing I just thought about as I typed this was puppy chow. Does have peanut butter in it so would have to deal with peanut allergies....

The presentation is almost as important as the treat. People like nice things! One organization last year literally took a bunch of Little Debbie treats and cut them up in like 3-4 pieces for each item. Let me tell you 500 cut up swiss cake rolls or peanut butter bars just looks like a mess!

And just for the record someone else ALWAYS does chocolate covered pretzels. :)
53 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Need ideas: inexpensive EASY chocolate treats

• allyphoeallyphoe 2466 replies59 threads Senior Member
    If you Google for Hershey's Kiss crafts, there are a million of them. The kisses are really cheap (~$12 for a giant bag at Costco near me), but if you're crafty and are willing to donate the time, some of the projects are really cute.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21568 replies226 threads Senior Member
    Marshmallows dipped in chocolate then rolled in graham cracker crumbs - use a lollipop stick or pretzel stick for a handle = s'mores on a stick. You can also use sprinkles or something else besides the graham cracker crumbs. A little work but cheap.

If you want to go with a literary theme again, perhaps something around Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. You could use the fun sized hershey bars or hershey kisses. One could have a gold sticker on it which wins a copy of the book.

· Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7814 replies65 threads Senior Member
    Chocolate lollipops dipped in fun sprinkles would look nice and could be individually wrapped.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19685 replies874 threads Senior Member
    Keep em coming.

Admittedly, I'm largely a one man show. So if I'm making 500 something it has to be PRETTY QUICK!

The event is around Valentine's Day. This could be kind of fun. Looks kiddish but recently we had an event with light up rings and our medical residents were fighting over them!

To be clear, all ages kids - through senior adults will be at this event.

https://www.momontimeout.com/bring-on-bling-valentine-ring-craft/

I'm going to start pulling any Charlie and The Chocolate Factory books that might get donated just in case!
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1315 replies2 threads Senior Member
    A play on the chocolate covered pretzel - take a square waffle pretzel, top with a Rolo, bake for a couple minutes on low heat to melt to the pretzel and you can press an M&M into the top while still warm. 500 might take while tho!
    · Reply · Share
    Enlist help! :)
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7814 replies65 threads Senior Member
    Chocolate dipped strawberries?
    · Reply · Share
    I love chocolate covered strawberries but the problem is doing 500 and having them keep. They don't have a long shelf life.
    · Reply · Share
  • college_querycollege_query 4344 replies325 threads Senior Member
    edited November 15
    My kids’ orchestra did a fundraiser and made and sold chocolate dipped pretzel sticks (the thick rod style). Dipped in milk, dark, or white chocolate, then rolled in sprinkles, then individually wrapped.
    edited November 15
    · Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3438 replies11 threads Senior Member
    I was going to suggest the melted rolo on a pretzel topped with an M&M. The hard part is unwrapping all the rolos.
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 13118 replies246 threads Senior Member
    edited November 15
    I make chocolate from scratch all the time (because keto, so no sugar) and it is surprisingly cheap and easy. I do it in the microwave with cocoa butter (a bit $$) or coconut oil (cheaper but needs to be in fridge) , unsweetened cocoa powder, a dash of vanilla.

What could be neat about that for you even with sugar is you can get some kind of clever molds that suit the occasion. Hopefully some that let you make like 50 at a time :)
    edited November 15
    · Reply · Share
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us 1365 replies43 threads Senior Member
    edited November 15
    this is a fun thing to think about. No stress, non competitive, all good and sweet.

my family and I all like homemade treats for sure . . .

but I think wrapping 500 things would be hard. Maybe you could have little snack sized sandwich bags nearby and people could put their own treat in a bag?

Here's one idea that was a huge hit, and probably cheap at our swim team potlucks - chocolate graham cereal bars. (chocolate, grahams and mini marshmallows) cut into bars. They look super tasty and always disappeared. Recipes are all over online if googled.

Cake pops are easy to make and if dipped in a coating, they are pretty durable on their own. (cake crumbled up, mixed with frosting, made into balls, chilled and dipped) Also, Oreo balls are similar and really good.

My favorite recipe from 30 yrs ago: snickers brownies, but you'd have to find some other type of caramel than the wrapped single Kraft caramels.
    edited November 15
    · Reply · Share
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom 1671 replies10 threads Senior Member
    edited November 15
    Edited: I guess this a slant on the suggestion above...

These windowpane pretzel treats are my favorite easy and inexpensive chocolate treat. I do not use Kisses but use the candy melts like Wiltons, which always go on sale super cheap. You just need to be careful in the micro and I usually use the defrost setting. You can do a large plate at a time.

https://www.food.com/recipe/easy-festive-chocolate-holiday-pretzels-104975
    edited November 15
    · Reply · Share
  • KnearSeattleKnearSeattle 76 replies4 threads Junior Member
    What about popcorn drizzled with dark, milk, and white chocolate?
    · Reply · Share
    I have to go with something that I can be pretty darn sure will turn out. Popcorn for 500 drizzled sounds time intensive in terms of making the popcorn just right, coating just right so it looks appetizing, etc. But it does sound delicious!

I'm currently thinking about doing a Valentine's Puppy Chow. Puppy chow with Valentine M and M's. Serve it in a pretty cupcake liner or even one of those plastic containers with a lid - I could then stick one of our program stickers on top - and our logo is red and white!

But your ideas have given me some good thought!
    · Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3438 replies11 threads Senior Member
    Is this for adults only? Because there are chocolate stout beers out there. Could serve a small portion.
    · Reply · Share
    No alcohol allowed! :) It is open to people of all ages. A good mix from kids to seniors. Less on the kids but some. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang 18420 replies159 threads Senior Member
    Seems to me what is called for here is decorative, tasty chocolate cookies. But maybe that's too much work?
    · Reply · Share
  • voyagermomvoyagermom 119 replies8 threads Junior Member
    I was going to suggest the same thing as @MAandMEmom , the pretzels and M&Ms and using a Wilton chocolate wafer instead of a Kiss. Cheaper and faster with not needing to unwrap.

Another good one is Christmas crack. Very easy to make and a crowd pleaser for sure. You can also add M&Ms to the top. I won a cookie bake off at work with this recipe and made my batch in the morning before I went into work, that's how quick and easy it is.
    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/christmas_crack/
    · Reply · Share
    I've def made Christmas Crack! I feel like it doesn't need extra chocolate on top.

500 cookies is a lot of cookies!
    · Reply · Share