right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

How much do you spend for your kids xmas gifts?

TNE2011TNE2011 182 replies35 threads Junior Member
We usually buy each around $100-150 in gifts and give them $100 cash each. Wondering what other people do.
77 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How much do you spend for your kids xmas gifts?

• musicmom1215musicmom1215 2751 replies56 threads Senior Member
    edited November 2019
    When they were younger, I bought tons of gifts and stocking stuffers and spent about $400 each. I had a Christmas Club savings account which made it easier than having to pay off the credit card later! Now that they are grown, our family does not exchange gifts, but I have been giving them $150 cash each, including my DIL. This year, I have a baby grandson who is too young to know what is going on. I don't know what to do for him. I buy him clothes all the time and just bought some books which I already gave to him.

Edit: I am a single mom and have been since the kids were 9 and 5. I don't make much money, but I manage well and live simply. Christmas was always a splurge where I bought name brands from the "cool" stores. I had to save all year to be able to do it on my meager salary.
    edited November 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • milgymfammilgymfam 1078 replies16 threads Senior Member
    About $50-$100 each.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 76078 replies3352 threads Senior Member
    edited November 2019
    My mother left me an inherited TSA which is small, but large enough to buy all of our Christmas presents. I get a check once a year at the beginning of December...about $1000. I use it all for Christmas related things. Then we parents add to that amount as needed.

Really the amounts vary from year to year.
    edited November 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • milee30milee30 2234 replies13 threads Senior Member
    The amount varies.

I give a mix of extremely practical with a few fun things mixed in. The practical includes things like clothes, which works well because my kids hate to shop but like to open presents so are pretty happy to get even basics like shirts and socks. Or this year my oldest needs a new laptop for his programming classes and has been looking at refurbished or used, economical models; I'm going to surprise him with a nicer, more powerful model than he'd be able to buy himself.

We also like to give jokey gifts and gifts that relate to hobbies.

If I were to separate out the practical stuff that most people buy throughout the year (clothes, computer for college) from the jokes and hobby related gifts, the nonpractical things that would generally be Christmas gifts are probably about $150 - $200 per kid.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34799 replies394 threads Senior Member
    It varies a great deal—depends on our finances, their finances and their needs. Maybe it shouldn’t but that’s the bottom line.
    · Reply · Share
  • SammoJSammoJ 103 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Up to $500/kid now (S19 and S16), but that typically includes higher coast practical gifts, such as new soccer shoes, a nice jacket, new quilt, etc. These are things that we would have purchased anyway, but in the spirit of it being a gift, we might spend a bit more - the name-brand jacket versus the one from Costco.
    · Reply · Share
  • taverngirltaverngirl 1221 replies37 threads Senior Member
    It varies from year to year, and it's not always the same for both kids either. One year D got an iPhone; another year S got skis. Those were more expensive years, but we would've had to purchase both of them anyway. This year neither need anything so I'll likely buy some clothes for both, a few stocking stuffers, and maybe lift tickets so we can all go skiing.
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2657 replies55 threads Senior Member
    It varies a lot, depending on DD's needs. Often my parents will split the cost of major gifts (a new bike one year, a laptop another - they like to spoil her, but generally don't have any idea what to get her, and sharing the costs of the high ticket items is very much appreciated all around) then I will spend about $150 on smaller items.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3568 replies221 threads Senior Member
    This is one area where having only one child is convenient. I don't need to make sure I spend fairly for multiple children. It varies a lot from year to year. This year will be a cheaper one, as there are no big ticket items she needs. Some years the cost would be higher if a new winter coat, computer, phone, or video game system was purchased for Christmas. I usually add to whatever I buy with gift cards for the places she frequently purchases lunch from. So maybe $200-300 in gifts and $100 in these gift cards.
    · Reply · Share
  • CreeklandCreekland 5858 replies90 threads Senior Member
    We don't keep track and it all depends upon what's going on in any given year. My mom used to give them a lot as youngsters so in those years we probably spent roughly $20 each. Now it's probably closer to $50 - $100, but I might be forgetting something from a year or two TBH. We don't feel the need to keep it equal either - not equal in finances anyway. We try to keep it fairly equal in what they "feel" about the gift. Candy in stockings was essentially equal just varying in who liked what.

There was a year where the gift for all of us was a major trip later in winter. It's one of our favorites.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 76078 replies3352 threads Senior Member
    We try to get holiday gifts the kids want vs things they need that they would buy anyway. This year DD wants an electric blanket or mattress pad. She surely doesn’t need that, but she wants it. DS wants lift tickets to ski while here but only if there is enough snow. So...he will get cash.

They all know they will get new socks every year!
    · Reply · Share
  • homerdoghomerdog 5738 replies105 threads Senior Member
    @thumper1 Socks are a must here too. Who doesn't want new socks?

We probably spend about $300 on each of the kids every year but half of that is stuff I would have shelled out money for anyway like clothes. I try really hard to find things they would like to surprise them too. It's harder now that they are older. I don't really want every present to be something they flat out asked for or something practical. Our kids get gift cards from other family members as gift so I try to stay away from that. Many times they don't end up using them and I just give them cash in the amount of those gift cards and figure out how to use them myself!

I love buying thoughtful gifts but my husband's family is all about lists. Everyone has a list and we all figure out who is buying what. Boring!!! And not really a gift if you ask me. More like I'm doing their shopping for them!
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19936 replies883 threads Senior Member
    More than I should. :)

I also don't keep a running tap and worry about making it even. I don't think anyone feels shorted. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • leftrightleftleftrightleft 417 replies5 threads Member
    I hate lists as well! Love to surprise my kids as well . For the last several years we have taken everyone on vacation in January while college kids are on break, older kids can usually join us for at least part of the trip. I do stockings for everyone. Honestly don’t know how much I spend and it definitely isn’t a hard line same amount for everyone.

When I was in high school ( early 80’s) I remember my mom telling me another neighborhood mom told her she spent $1500/kid - my own parents were very generous but my mother could not believe what she heard- even now, that is, in my opinion, an absurd amount :)
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32646 replies160 threads Senior Member
    My family does lists and I hate them. I agree with homerdog. Anyway amount varies, my younger son always has lots of idea - some quite pricey. Older son never has any ideas, occasionally he asks for clothes. (And this is a guy who wears cargo shorts or khakis and t-shirts to work.) Anyway, I'd guess the average is $150.

Currently my younger son is lusting after a gorgeous gaming table. I think it starts at $7000. More with all the add-on other wood choices and of course you might want some nice chairs too! He's not getting that for Christmas! But if he and his girl friend ever tie the knot, I think it would be a terrific wedding present.
    · Reply · Share
  • SouthmomSouthmom 294 replies78 threads Member
    I probably spend $400 or so per child, but I tend to buy them big ticket items (winter coats, snow boots, cold weather running gear) that I know they need (they live in cold and snowy states) instead of lots of small stuff. They appreciate it and it makes me feel good imagining them wearing those items during the long winter months. I don't spend much on birthdays, though.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofadultMomofadult 1127 replies29 threads Senior Member
    edited November 2019
    The question reminds me of my first Christmas as a newly wed. My mother took me aside and made a big point of telling me that "I split your money between you and New Husband. Your (unmarried) sister has more gifts, but I spent the same amount on both of you."

I still find mother's notion that she needed to justify herself offensive. She has still not figured out that I am no longer 8 years old and gave up keeping score years ago. I am not a petty person.

I always try to give gifts that are wanted or needed, but above all meaningful. I hope no one out there is keeping monetary score! (I do not mean to suggest that budgeting quite specifically or carefully or thoughtfully isn't absolutely the correct course for others. I'm just very put off by the way the entire "spending on the children" was conducted in my birth family.)
    edited November 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • shellfellshellfell 3416 replies11 threads Senior Member
    Not really a set amount, but around 125-150 for each adult child, including DIL. The grandkids are very young and get gifts all year round, so much less for them at Chanukah, usually just a single gift instead of many. That may change as they get old enough to understand the 8 days of Chanukah.
    · Reply · Share