right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
2 DAYS until our "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. Ask your question NOW if you are a registered member!

Where do you hang your kitchen wash rag?

conmamaconmama 4616 replies334 threads Senior Member
When it’s just us, I hang it on the metal part of the soap dispenser. That way it’s sort of air drying. But it’s not very attractive because you can see it above the opening of the sink. Right now with company, I lay it on the divider between the two sinks, but it does get smellier faster that way. I don’t like the sponges.
61 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Where do you hang your kitchen wash rag?

• EconPopEconPop 445 replies7 threads Member
    I lay it over the divider, but it does get smelly. Although these days, I'm more of a sponge guy than a wash cloth guy.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 22709 replies238 threads Senior Member
    I don't use a washrag. I have dish towels and rags and use at least 3 a day (rarely use paper towels).

For dishes, I use a sponge. My mom hated sponges and always used rags. I found the rags to be smelly and ineffective so when I got my first place of my own, quickly switched to sponges with a scrubby side.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 3295 replies62 threads Senior Member
    edited November 2019
    I use a sponge instead of a wash rag as well....I clean it in the microwave or dishwasher at least weekly.

Trying to use fewer paper towels....would be interested in tips to help achieve this!
    edited November 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 22709 replies238 threads Senior Member
    Mwfan1921 wrote: »
    I use a sponge instead of a wash rag as well....I clean it in the microwave or dishwasher at least weekly.

Trying to use fewer paper towels....would be interested in tips to help achieve this!

I just use rags (for messy stuff) and dish towels.

I also don't do paper napkins and use cloth so all this gets washed together.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 8714 replies82 threads Senior Member
    I don't use a dish rag anymore either. Sponges, scrubby brushes, and dishtowels.

When I did, I would dry it over the faucet spout.
    · Reply · Share
  • Lassie3Lassie3 233 replies23 threads Junior Member
    I use a brush with a handle that just lies in the bottom of the sink. If I use a dish cloth that needs to dry I’ll drape it over a small cup or glass that will sit on the sink bottom.
    · Reply · Share
  • psychmommapsychmomma 3163 replies47 threads Senior Member
    edited November 2019
    I have a ceramic utensil holder next to the sink with four handled scrubbers - one for dishes, one for bottles, one for straws, one for the sink. I use scrub daddy and scrub daddy scour sponges for scrubbing where more contact is needed. No rags. Tons of dish towels that are changed every other day. I have over the drawer towel hangers on the drawers next to the sink, stove, and island work surface for easy access and towel hanging/drying.
    edited November 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 20181 replies891 threads Senior Member
    edited November 2019
    No dish rag. No sponges.

I have two scrubbers.

One stays in the sink to wash out the sink, push food in the disposal, etc. This one is NOT for using on dishes (unless they are going in the dishwasher after.

The second scrubber is for hand washing of any dishes. It sits next to the sink on a cake pedestal stand that houses a small decorative plate this scrubber goes on and hand lotion and a small plant.

Both scrubbers get popped in the dishwasher most times I run it.

For cleaning counters I grab one of my many Ikea cheapo dish towels and just use one a day (or as needed), hanging it on the stove handle if I'm not using it and dropping it down the laundry chute.
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by Erin's Dad on
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 39674 replies471 threads Senior Member
    Sponge tip: after rinsing it clean, pour a drop of liquid soap on it and squeeze it so the soap spreads. Leave in a sponge dish. The soap will prevent most nasties from growing it. Change your sponges often.

I use cloth towels for most cleanups and sterilize by washing/high heat drying. If a washed cloth diaper is as good as new to wrap around a baby's bum, a washed kitchen towel is just as good as a new one. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32768 replies160 threads Senior Member
    Scrubbers are in a beer stein. Sponges are in a thingie for them that is part of the dish drainer. Don't use a rag. Have towels for drying up, but still probably use more paper towels than I need to.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 20181 replies891 threads Senior Member
    Think how much extra laundry you have if you change out your dishrag/dishtowel daily. Really hardly nothing! 7 dishrags/towels takes no space at all in your load of laundry. Change them often!
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 3067 replies45 threads Senior Member
    I use a dish rag and drape it over the divider between the two sinks. I change it once a day, and if regular laundering doesn’t address the odor, I wash it in hot water with white vinegar.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 39946 replies2197 threads Super Moderator
    Ugh, no dish rags! They are disgusting. I use scrubbies and paper towels. I cannot even imagine how many germs are on dish rags.
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 3067 replies45 threads Senior Member
    That’s how I feel about sponges.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 39946 replies2197 threads Super Moderator
    edited November 2019
    I don't think I've ever owned a sponge, either.

Did you see the recommendation NOT to wash the turkey before you cook it? Even doing that can spread germs all over the kitchen. Blech. I think I'm a bit of a germophobe.
    edited November 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • MassmommMassmomm 4087 replies84 threads Senior Member
    I'm sure sponges aren't that hygienic, but I use them and sanitize/toss regularly. Dish rags gross me out. I don't want a food-encrusted cloth flapping back at me. No, no, no
    · Reply · Share
  • kjofkwkjofkw 807 replies95 threads Member
    (2) sponges. One for touching food (or cleaning food off dishes). The other for touching countertops or other items. Both reside on a soap holder with plastic nibs to keep them elevated while drying. Wash them in the dishwasher approx. every 3rd or 4th load.
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5609 replies137 threads Senior Member
    dishrags and many of them a day. Same with my dishtowels. Don't like sponges in general and dislike when I go to someone's home to eat and have no idea if they even know to sanitize them.
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 9100 replies72 threads Senior Member
    I never heard of dish rags. I have a basket full of rags for cleaning. I have sponges, bought at Costco so easily replaced. Different kinds of scrubbers, which sit in an IKEA box so don't show u less you are standing at the sink. Costco paper towels sit near sink
    · Reply · Share
  • MarianMarian 13230 replies83 threads Senior Member
    No dishrags. No sponges. I use Brillo pads for the few things that need them (and store the current one in a small bowl on the counter for the few days of its brief existence) and paper towels for everything else.

This means that I use vast numbers of paper towels. I don't care. Cloth towels and sponges are disgusting, and heaven only knows what lives in them.
    · Reply · Share