right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Petty, annoying neighborhood Christmas decoration question

GourmetmomGourmetmom 2839 replies49 threads Senior Member
My small neighborhood association has about 10 very tall Victorian style street lights that we decorate for Christmas every year. Originally, 20+ years ago, those who happened to have a street light on their property volunteered to decorate it (artificial lighted greens and a big red bow). I've been decorating mine since the beginning - the first bunch of decorations were purchased by the association, but since then I've replaced my own several times - they don't last long - the bows blow away and the lights burn out. Perhaps other people have asked the association to pay each time, but it's really nominal and I never bothered with it.

This year, as I reach the ripe age of 60, I don't feel like lugging a big extension ladder down to the road - it's not all that close to the house, and climbing the ladder to put them up and after New Year's take them down is kinda scary.

Today, I emailed the our "president" (who doesn't happen to have a lamp post) to tell that my decorating days are over (we are the longest residents in the neighborhood) and I'd like to pass the baton. I also explained that I don't have the decorations since last year's were trashed. I did say that I've replaced them myself many times. He emailed me back saying that he expected me to provide new decorations to the new person. I found it incredibly disrespectful and rude (no good deed goes unpunished). I'm halfway between emailing him back or just ignoring the whole stupid thing.
25 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Petty, annoying neighborhood Christmas decoration question

• conmamaconmama 4556 replies329 threads Senior Member
    I agree with @momofsenior1 . I would have to say something, with a period at the end. I like exactly how she worded it.

How rude of him.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35121 replies398 threads Senior Member
    Lol. The downside of neighborhood associations.
    All I can say is, have you spoken wth any close neighbors, anyone have teens who might want to take on the task? Talking at least may get you some allies.

What happens if you simply ignore this?
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2680 replies58 threads Senior Member
    It sounds like that president needs a gentle reminder that there is nothing in the covenants requiring you to decorate or supply the decorations. You've retired from the volunteer position. The end.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35121 replies398 threads Senior Member
    Otoh, I'd love an assn that took care of lawns and snow plowing. Maybe maintained a pool.
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4556 replies329 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    FWIW, my DH would say to ignore it. Since you are dealing with a man, perhaps how another man would handle it would send a more powerful message? Just a thought.
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • deb922deb922 5827 replies195 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    Do you pay association fees?

I would kindly send another email stating that you’ve replaced the decorations several times and that if they would like the light decorated that the association has funds for it.

I’m not a big fan of saying nothing, but would state your case and be done with it.

I’d also ask to be put on the agenda for the next association meeting so you can ask that the association hires people to decorate the lamp posts as you feel it’s a liability problem

edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 1930 replies27 threads Senior Member
    That is terrible! I think you should ignore him and let the association decide if they want to decorate the light pole or leave it empty. That gentleman sure doesn't have any Christmas spirit!
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 9043 replies72 threads Senior Member
    Can I second and third Mathmom’s suggestion?

Or, if I wanted to be polite(not that he deserves it), I’d add that I’m not in physical shape to climb ladders, and will not do this task.
    · Reply · Share
  • anomanderanomander 1724 replies4 threads Senior Member
    “ Since you are dealing with a man, perhaps how another man would handle it would send a more powerful message?”

Heh, I was thinking that my reply would be exactly: “LOL No”
    · Reply · Share