right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Best food for guests arriving after a long flight - beef stew?

IgloooIglooo 8317 replies215 threads Senior Member
What would you recommend to make for people arriving from a plane ride? It will be best if it can be made in advance and just reheat when they get here since I will be at the airport picking them up.
84 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Best food for guests arriving after a long flight - beef stew?

• greenwitchgreenwitch 8831 replies41 threads Senior Member
    Beef stew sounds great. Or anything else you make in a big pot that is not fussy about being reheated. You could even boil pasta fresh if you have a bit pot of sauce around. Just be sure they'll all love whatever you make! (I had a friend make us a bit pot of clam chowder, not realizing that H and our daughters are allergic to shellfish....)
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 76087 replies3353 threads Senior Member
    Of you make that stew or whatever in your crock pot, you can either time it right to be done when the guests arrive...or switch the crockpot to “warm” before you make the drive to the airport if it’s already done.
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 3058 replies45 threads Senior Member
    I vote for beef stew. For years it was a tradition of three girlfriends and myself to go away for a weekend, leaving a Thursday night after work. One friend made beef stew to bring along, so we could reheat it as we unpacked. Great comfort food.
    · Reply · Share
  • anomanderanomander 1723 replies4 threads Senior Member
    I usually make a hearty sweet-potato chicken soup.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 888 replies2 threads Member
    Definitely beef stew, I've done it myself. Crock pot working backwards from your arrival time works great. I don't have one, so I prepped in a dutch oven that I turned off when I left to pick up our people -- great thermal stability, so it stayed hot.
    · Reply · Share
  • Lassie3Lassie3 226 replies22 threads Junior Member
    Chili or a lasagne are other ideas,
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 79714 replies712 threads Senior Member
    What do they like?
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 9030 replies72 threads Senior Member
    For my meat eating sister, sweet and sour short ribs in the crockpot. (Or chicken). Pasta dishes for others.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35105 replies398 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    I think I'd wonder if a long flight (how long?) had served them a heavy meal or two. I know most of us encounter not great food, but even that can be 'stick to your ribs.'
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21988 replies232 threads Senior Member
    Beef stew sounds great. Or a pot of some kind of soup. Loaf of good bread. Maybe a crunchy side salad.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheFrenchChefTheFrenchChef 197 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Beef stew, lasagna both sound great.
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2658 replies55 threads Senior Member
    Any kind of "comfort food" sounds like a delight after a joyless day of a air travel. Go for it!
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 8291 replies70 threads Senior Member
    Chili would be another option. Corn bread and all kinds of add your own toppings.
    · Reply · Share
  • holychildholychild 173 replies7 threads Junior Member
    Beef Stew sounds great as long as they are meat eaters.
    · Reply · Share
  • dentmom4dentmom4 1415 replies4 threads Senior Member
    I love beef stew, but would probably go with something else. Depending on the arrival time, I wouldn’t do much that was too heavy. I would also put it in my crock pot. I’m thinking chicken corn chowder, chicken soup, crockpot chicken pot pie. I’d add a salad and some bread. If kids involved, I’d add mac/cheese.
    · Reply · Share
  • silverpurplesilverpurple 189 replies42 threads Junior Member
    No beef stew for me or my guests. We prepare salads and lots of veggies., fruit.
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5595 replies137 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    I always make a potato cheese soup pureed I would not eat beef stew or chili before bed. A nice creamy soup with nice bread and an offering of dessert. It is always welcome. Comfort food.
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • momo2x2018momo2x2018 936 replies52 threads Member
    If it's a day of long air travel, I'd be more inclined to go 'light', - after many hours of inactivity, I'd prefer 'light' - maybe a nice soup, salad or quiche, bread/cheese and fruit
    · Reply · Share