right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Climate Change. You vs your kids

maya54maya54 2324 replies96 threads Senior Member
edited December 2019 in Parent Cafe
Do you all have the same views on climate change? Are your kids more concerned than you? Do they (or do they want to) take more active steps than you to combat the issue. As for me, I’m pretty aligned with my kids who are in their early 20’s. Several friends with teens have the same general views as their kids but the kids are taking and demanding more steps like eating vegan, traveling less. Etc... Curious if this is common.
edited December 2019
136 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Climate Change. You vs your kids

• GKUnionGKUnion 313 replies10 threads Member
    The next climate change discussion I have with my teenage boys will be the first one...
    · Reply · Share
  • OhiBroOhiBro 464 replies6 threads Member
    We’re not fanatical, or even directly acknowledging climate change, but trying to make lifestyle choices for financial and health reasons that can help reduce our impact.

Minimalism (also makes Christmas a snap!), fuel efficiency, energy efficiency, about 50% vegetarian, etc.

Kiddos seem pretty well aligned.
    · Reply · Share
  • psychmommapsychmomma 3131 replies47 threads Senior Member
    We’ve had discussions, are equally concerned, and the kids question whether they want to have kids of their own or not. I’m more hopeful than they are about the future.
    · Reply · Share
  • maya54maya54 2324 replies96 threads Senior Member
    “Can't imagine how this can be seen as an us against them situation.”

Wasn’t thinking as an “us against them” more like are your views the same or different and even if same are your actions as a result of those view the same or different. I think my kids are like me concerned about climate issues but not making major changes, even if we sometimes think we should.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 79766 replies714 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    I would not be surprised if younger adults are usually more personally concerned about it than older adults, since younger adults have a longer remaining life expectancy that will result in them being more likely to have to deal with the longer term effects (on either a personal level like whether that beach house will be flooded several decades from now, or on a political level dealing with mass resettlement of refugees from places made uninhabitable).

But then, wasting energy = wasting money. Seems like, regardless of political views, conserving energy will be good for one's personal finances.
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay 19373 replies460 threads Senior Member
    Ds2 is resentful that my generation has screwed up everything. *sigh*

Ds1's gf is a vegetarian, but I don't know why she chose that route. I do know that she became her family's only vegetarian in middle school. Ds1 now eats less meat as well, and they definitely aren't big consumers. I think we all have a similar level of concern.
    · Reply · Share
    Those concerned about environmental impact of different foods may want to take a look at sites like:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/12/your-kitchen-and-the-planet-the-impact-of-our-food-on-the-environment
    http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2018-06-01-new-estimates-environmental-cost-food
    https://www.pnas.org/content/116/46/23357/tab-figures-data
    http://www.greeneatz.com/foods-carbon-footprint.html

Meat from ruminants (beef and lamb) has the largest climate change impact due to methane production.
    · Reply · Share
  • ThisNameNotTakenThisNameNotTaken 42 replies1 threads Junior Member
    This topic comes up with two of my four kids periodically. I try not to downplay it, or pull up examples from the past that never panned out, since I do take it seriously, even though I'll probably be long gone before things really start to get weird.

I also tell them that I'm pretty sure no meaningful effort will be made to do anything about it, and that they'll just have to arrange their future lives accordingly. There is no thing in life that I'm surer of than that.

· Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 3267 replies13 threads Senior Member
    I asked my daughter and her BF (early to mid-20s) — on a scale of 1 to 10 — how worried are you about climate change.

My daughter surprised me by saying 4 (I was expecting a 8 or 9). Her BF also said 4.

I cannot remember exactly how they worded it, but both of them thought it would get addressed by various world governments & businesses, imperfectly, slowly and in ways we may not foresee.

Note: both work on The Hill.

Then my daughter chimed in that she was more anxious about being the random victim of crime. Maybe an 8 on that, she said. A mass shooting, bombing, attack by vehicle, etc.

She says she does not want to have children of her own. Her BF claims he is not as adamant about that but would be okay sans kids.

Both of them do “small” things to be less wasteful, buy used, etc.

For whatever reason, climate change does not keep me up at night. The problem seems so so big.

I’d say my issues are The Robots Are Coming (what in the world are people going to do for work and how will we make a living wage?) and The Microbes Are Going To Get Us In The End (antibiotic -resistant, anti-fungal resistant microbes etc)

Happy Holidays! ;-)
    · Reply · Share
    TheBigChef wrote: »
    If I was a teenager, I would be more worried about the $23 trillion (and growing) deficit than climate change. Sooner or later, that bill is going to come due, and when it does, nobody is going to be talking about plastic straws.

Well, will anybody (except the wealthiest and big business who got the recent tax cuts that increased the annual deficit) be able to afford plastic straws or other wasteful things by then?
    · Reply · Share