right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

December weather travel issues? Anyone?

thumper1thumper1 76135 replies3358 threads Senior Member
edited December 2019 in Parent Cafe
I’ll start. I’m supposed to fly to Atlanta on Tuesday very early morning. Weather is supposed to be terrible here in CT...with ice and freezing rain. I may go the night before and sleep on the airport floor.

Lots of college student travel, and holiday travel coming up.

edited December 2019
30 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: December weather travel issues? Anyone?

• OhiBroOhiBro 464 replies6 threads Member
    Didn’t they make a movie about this? With John Candy? 😂
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 22024 replies233 threads Senior Member
    Can you change flights and fly out a day early, @thumper1?
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19963 replies885 threads Senior Member
    D2 is suppose to drive home from grad school on Monday. Not a flight but the weather is currently looking iffy especially on her end. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive which isn't awful but in bad weather? It will be awful for me worrying about her! If needed she can wait until Tuesday....so it's not the end of the world but I'm - and she - is ready to be home!
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8330 replies215 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    My D is coming home on Friday. It looks like her flight won't be affected fortunately. But I am not done with xmas decoration outside and the weather isn't helping.
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 891 replies2 threads Member
    Son and daughter-in-law flying in to New England from the Midwest a week from today (Saturday). Her parents flying in from west coast, same-ish arrival time. I've already been watching forecasts even though I know at a week out it's more climatology than meteorology.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34850 replies394 threads Senior Member
    S is currently on a lot of flights between now and the next week. I hope all are safe and uneventful. No time critical deadlines for him so safety is our main concern. Hasn’t heard about storms on East Coast. Hopefully if they would affect him he will be allowed to reschedule.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19963 replies885 threads Senior Member
    If only we could cure the common cold and control the weather, right? :)
    · Reply · Share
  • college_querycollege_query 4380 replies333 threads Senior Member
    My S is getting married in the midwest on New Year's Eve. We're flying there (from the southeast) on December 27. Right now it's snowing there; but by a week from today the highs are currently forecast to be in the low 50s. Just hoping we can all travel safely.
    · Reply · Share
  • 4kids4us4kids4us 777 replies4 threads Member
    Thankfully my immediate family all got home on Friday, two from international flights and one a four hour car ride away. It was raining all day with a lot of fog so I was glad none of the flights were delayed. Lucky me-I got to do the RT college pickup in that nasty weather, but fortunately despite the foul weather, the traffic was only awful in northern NJ and we only saw one accident. The rest of the drive was uneventful, though exhausting since my kids slept and I had to drive the entire way.

Some of dh’s family is flying in the week of Christmas from the west coast so hopefully the weather next week will be storm-free.

@HImom the DC area is supposed to get rain/snow mix tomorrow morning but looks mostly clear the rest of the week. Tomorrow’s forecast doesn’t look awful, and looks to changeover to all rain rather quickly.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 56295 replies2938 threads Senior Member
    Just a thought- why not start a general “travel issues” thread that can be updated with whatever the travel challenge du jour is. Might get more ongoing visibility.

And FWIW, will be rainy in Atlanta Tuesday, but weather should warm up to the 60s.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 39602 replies2179 threads Super Moderator
    edited December 2019
    Well, of COURSE snow is scheduled to start here overnight Monday into Tuesday morning, since my plane to Texas is supposed to leave at 7 am Tuesday. If you want to know when it's going to snow wherever I am, ask me my travel schedule. :(

And of course I picked the shorter layover time in Philadelphia for this trip since the two four-hour layovers I had there on my recent trip drove me batty.
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 76135 replies3358 threads Senior Member
    I just changed my reservation to Monday morning. Well worth the additional ticket cost since I must be at my destination without issue.

@jym626 I thought about a general travel thread, but who wants to read through pages and pages of past storms just to get to the current issues. So...I did this one for December travel, and it can die after the December travel season ends.
    · Reply · Share
    Since this thread has already been started, I don't see the need for another one.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 76135 replies3358 threads Senior Member
    @MaineLonghorn any chance you can switch your flight to Monday? Just keep an eye on the weather advisories...maybe you can change without penalty if needed.

Or maybe this will blow out to sea or temps will rise and it will all be rain!
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 56295 replies2938 threads Senior Member
    Since this thread has already been started, I don't see the need for another one.
    There will be MANY MORE weather/travel issues !
    · Reply · Share
    @thumper1, I wish I could, but I have a lot of work to wrap up since I'm going to be gone 2 1/2 weeks. My husband has already extended me more grace than any other employer would! I have to draft the structural plans for a house whose owner has been waiting awhile.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 5075 replies23 threads Senior Member
    Driving from somewhat snowing Detroit area to Chicago soon (yes, again). But Chicago seems to be somewhat sunny today. Guess the snow is leaving the area. Safe travels to those traveling.
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14230 replies64 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    Historical notes. One March left early for the big city airport because of iffy weather- ended up spending the night as the airport closing snowy weather arrived just before our flight was to leave. Son once had a delay in his Seattle-Tampa via Phoenix red eye flight because the plane was coming in from NYC- missed the connection and hours of time here. Who knew NYC weather would affect the west like that? I can relate to those college kid (and friends) pickups in snowy weather- the guys slept while I contended with snow and traffic.

My take- never guarantees with choosing flights.
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 3060 replies45 threads Senior Member
    I hadn’t given this a thought until this thread, but our daughter is taking the red eye Friday night. Looks like the weather will be ok. Whew!
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34850 replies394 threads Senior Member
    Brrr, all this chilly & bad weather. I'm glad S has flexibility and will adjust as appropriate to avoid flying in dangerous weather.
    · Reply · Share