right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
COMING SOON "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. This event is exclusively for registered members. CREATE YOUR CC ACCOUNT NOW to receive event updates!

Annual Post: Whatcha Doin NY Eve? New Year's Day?

abasketabasket 20161 replies891 threads Senior Member
I do think that over the years the going out for NY eve has slowed down and more people are staying home - yay! :)

But always fun to hear - whatcha doin, whatcha eating????

We will stay home. Weather is actually a little messy this morning - big winds and a little snow. Plan to go to the gym this morning and Costco later and will probably pick up something to eat there. D2 asked if we could make either a cake or a skillet chocolate chip cookie for dessert tonight.

Maybe make a big pan of lasagna or enchiladas tomorrow for NY Day.
62 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Annual Post: Whatcha Doin NY Eve? New Year's Day?

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 8685 replies82 threads Senior Member
    Hosting D’s college friends this week. We are dressing up, making a nice spread of finger foods, listing to music, and playing games. Looking forward to it!
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4760 replies189 threads Senior Member
    We are going to Baltimore to have lunch in Little Italy and then walk along the harbor for several miles. We will be home by dark. If we are hungry, we may pick up some lobster tails on our way home.
    Tomorrow I will start stressing about a get together we are hosting Saturday. I’ve got to look through some of those recipe threads we did for the holidays :)
    Happy New Year everyone!
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32757 replies160 threads Senior Member
    We've had a couple of sad New Year's Eves where we did pretty much nothing waiting for midnight, so this year we are going to a party at a neighbor's house. We can walk home. I feel like our friendship circle is shrinking and am trying to make an effort to combat our sloth and introvert tendencies. I'm pretty sure our oldest won't come with us, but he's not interested in celebrating anyway.

New Year's Day we will go to an Open House at some of our oldest friend. Our kid will go to that one and socialize a bit. Their oldest was his best friend through elementary school, they drifted apart a bit after that, but still enjoy each other's company and catching up. Our kid will probably get tired of the party before we do and find some corner to go read his Kindle.

@college_query sounds like fun! I like the idea of celebrating another time zone's NYE.

· Reply · Share
  • mom2andmom2and 3003 replies20 threads Senior Member
    We go to a low-key party at a friends home which is always nice. Last year we had folks over on New Years day but this year will just hang out with the kids. DH wants to see a movie.

Happy 2020!
    · Reply · Share
  • collage1collage1 1872 replies73 threads Senior Member
    Many years ago, before kids, we started a tradition with 5 couples where we'd get together. The early years we went out to bars, went dancing, etc. Once kids came, we started rotating houses. One couple got divorced and slipped away, another moved away and then a third couple slipped away. So, for the last maybe 8 years it's just been one other couple, dh and me. Sometimes we go to a restaurant and then back to one of our homes and stay together until 12:30 or 1. This year, the couple that moved away is back so we now have 6. They're really our closest friends and we treasure the tradition even though the numbers have ebbed and flowed. This year we'll eat in and one couple is on Jenny Craig so I think it'll be a healthy dinner which I really appreciate.

Whatever you're doing, here's to good health and much happiness in 2020.
    · Reply · Share
  • helpingmom40helpingmom40 199 replies6 threads Junior Member
    DH works in the local media and hosts a performance venue for the area’s First Night. DD and I are homebodies and hate crowds. We go our for a nice, late lunch/early dinner with my parents that gets DH to his event in time to set up. DD and I watch a movie, have a special snack, and do a puzzle or play a game, do face masks or paint nails. Boring to many, I’m sure :) Tomorrow we have singing hinnies for breakfast and Hoppin’ John for dinner.
    · Reply · Share
  • 4kids4us4kids4us 800 replies4 threads Member
    Dh and I have become boring introverts. We have absolutely no desire to be on the road, even in an Uber, on New Year’s Eve so we never leave our neighborhood. For years, when the kids were young, we either did a progressive dinner with a bunch of neighbors or one would host and kids would all be in the basement or with babysitter at another house. The group has split up as some moved away, etc. Our best friends in the neighborhood have started going OOT for NYE so for the past few years, Dh and I treat ourselves to surf and turf, then attempt to watch a movie. Our kids are all home for holidays, but it looks like all but one have plans, so we are planning on getting filet mignon and lobster for dinner and watch The Irishman. I just hope I can manage to stay awake for the 3.5 hour movie.

No plans for New Years Day but my daughters and I are going to NYC on Thursday and coming back Friday. Hoping to avoid most of the NYE crowds but I’m sure some will still be in town.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 35113 replies396 threads Senior Member
    We go to H’s best friend’s house. Many of H’s buddies that he’s known for decades show up and they chat.

As fireworks are lit & things start getting smoky, D and I leave and go to her best friend’s house nearby and chat there with their family and a few close friends until midnight. I will be designated driver and take everyone home as I don’t drink.

New Year’s Day we are all gathered at my youngest brother’s home for a great lunch. For dinner may pick up some takeout Japanese nishime, which D & I love.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 39657 replies471 threads Senior Member
    We are hosting a small party at our place. I have some poppers we can pop on the deck. Most likely, we will be able to see some fireworks somewhere if we go outside and uphill, but we would probably just watch the big show on TV. Mister wants fancy food. So be it! Making steamed dumplings and his traditional salads. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 923 replies2 threads Member
    Just husband and me here. We'll be happily nesting at home, maybe even catching up on some desperately needed sleep.

Also like the NYE in a different time zone practice. Our sons were 10 and 7 when 1999 turned into 2000. We're on the east coast and rang it in then went to bed. Kids stayed up for as many that followed as possible. We found them in the living room the next morning mumbling about having lasted until Vegas.
    · Reply · Share
  • deb922deb922 5863 replies196 threads Senior Member
    Going to bed early. My mom has a 6:40 am flight an hour and a half from here.
    · Reply · Share
  • MarilynMarilyn 3799 replies126 threads Senior Member
    We’ve normally gone out for dinner but didn’t like the menus or costs this year. We could go to a party at friends but I’m not interested for a variety of reasons. So we’re cooking at home - I pulled out some recipes from a 50 year old cookbook (The New Cook’s Cookbook) and we’re making French onion soup and Duck Jubilee.

Tomorrow we may go to a “pajamas” late brunch at a local restaurant.

DH grew up in Connecticut and still considers EST to be the official New Year. Even though we lived in CST for 40 years and now PST for four years. So we observe three different countdowns. Fortunately we have no connection to MST.

Happily DS is in the same time zone as us. He walks across the street to Seattle Center and watches the fireworks at the Space Needle.
    · Reply · Share
  • emilybeeemilybee 13218 replies35 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    Having our two close couple friends, who happen to be our neighbors over. I’m making scrimp scampi w/ linguini, antipasto and Tuscan hard rolls. I have 3 bottles of Prosecco, a lovely Pinot Noir and several bottles of red wine that my kid brought us from France. After dinner we’re going to play domino’s.

It’s a very last minute thing when we found out none of us had any plans for NYE and the only thing I needed to buy was the Prosecco.
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5467 replies260 threads Senior Member
    We're staying in and preparing another fine meal together (rack of lamb, garlic-roasted smashed redskins, steamed artichokes, rosemary popovers) and will probably enjoy some fine wines and champagne throughout the evening while we watch movies until we (I) fall asleep. I rarely make it past 11. Our son leaves at O'dark-thirty on the 2nd, so just one more day... It's never enough.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 20161 replies891 threads Senior Member
    ^^^ @ChoatieMom may I please have an invite for dinner? That sounds AMAZING!
    (I'm a huge popover fan!)

No one should feel "old" or "boring" for staying in! Really most people I know - young or old - do largely stay in! S who is 27 and his wife just texted me that the last thing they want to do on NY Eve is be on the road. They are driving to her sisters house now and parking it for the night. They will enjoy each other in the comfort of a safe house!
    · Reply · Share
  • stradmomstradmom 5105 replies51 threads Senior Member
    After 30+ years of staying home, we're going out for Chinese food and a movie. (Yeah, I know, we're a week late!)
    · Reply · Share
  • NhatrangNhatrang 534 replies1 threads Member
    We will stay in and watch the ball drop on TV. Tomorrow we will go see our friends around noon, they will make hot pot, we’re told not to eat any breakfast bc there will be plenty of food.

D19 is at the shore with 10 of her HS friends celebrating new year eve. First year she isn’t with us. Guess we have to get used to this new normal.

Happy new year everyone! Glad I discovered this parent forum. Love all your life stories, advices and wisdoms <3
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3626 replies223 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    We started a tradition when our daughter was little to go to a local first night and then out to dinner with the other families. (they did a kids new years eve fireworks at 6 pm and we ate right after that). First night ended many years ago and the dinner tradition continued for many years. It was always an early dinner with these other families (who had kids my daughter's age) and then each family went home. Once my daughter stopped being home for the holiday (she gets to enjoy all the fun at Boston's first night), we switched to dinner out with a few of the couples that were part of the original families. This has morphed into dinner out with another couple only (the others seem to be busy with kids who are around for new years.) So, tonight we will have a nice dinner with the other couple at 7:30 and then come home and just watch the ball drop my husband and I.

We typically do nothing on New Year's Day. The last few years I have started the new year with my 9:30 am yoga class. - will be doing that in the morning again.
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share