right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
COMING SOON "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. This event is exclusively for registered members. CREATE YOUR CC ACCOUNT NOW to receive event updates!

Where do young people buy furniture these days?

1214mom1214mom 4760 replies189 threads Senior Member
My son and his GF are moving into a new apt, and need to buy a sofa, kitchen/dining set, and probably a couple of other things.
I know there’s IKEA, and they have a sale going on right now.
Any other suggestions? They don’t have a car, and I’m not in to driving them around to too many different places, and we don’t live that close to them.
I would be shopping for high quality, real wood, etc., but I know they don’t want to spend a lot.
70 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Where do young people buy furniture these days?

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 39657 replies471 threads Senior Member
    Wayfair, Anko, Amazon... Not sure if there is one in your neighborhood, a store called Dania is very popular with the younger crowd here in my neck of the woods.
    · Reply · Share
  • tdy123tdy123 1033 replies18 threads Senior Member
    1214mom wrote: »
    ...I would be shopping for high quality, real wood, etc., but I know they don’t want to spend a lot.

High quality and real wood is somewhere between expensive and very expensive.

Had similar requirements when son was outfitting off campus apartment. Had best luck with Craigslist followed by Housing works thrift shop.

· Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 22660 replies237 threads Senior Member
    My kids have thrifted some furniture and just accumulated a little over time that way.

In my area, some stores that aren't super expensive but better built than IKEA (and more styles) are places like Jordan's and Boston Interiors.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4760 replies189 threads Senior Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I know they aren’t going to pay for real wood, etc. - they just want it to look “good enough” and be “comfortable enough.”
    I know some things are fine to order on-line, but for something like a sofa, I would want to try it out before purchasing.
    I have a relative who is great with thrift shopping, but they need some things ASAP, and without a car, they can’t check out many things from Craigslist.

· Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 76446 replies3379 threads Senior Member
    Agree....Wayfair and Amazon have a lot. Overstock too.

My kids also have gotten some great deals at resale shops and on Craigslist. Like a Pottery Barn buffet cabinet for $100. Like a great wood platform bed frame for $50. Yes, they will need to arrange for delivery, but if the price is right, renting a van for a few hours could make it worth it.

They should check some of the furniture stores as this is clearance time and they might find a sofa there.

The sofa I’m sitting on right now came from Big Lots...and it was $210 and is the most comfortable couch in this house. So check there too.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 39657 replies471 threads Senior Member
    Room and Board has some reasonably priced real wood furniture.

If you have Dania, their furniture is quite a step above IKEA. We bought this Oregon-made maple bed for our own guest room at Dania:

https://daniafurniture.com/products/mia-bed
    · Reply · Share
  • TatinGTatinG 6586 replies116 threads Senior Member
    For wooden furniture Facebook marketplace has great buys. Better quality than the put it together yourself stuff. I've gotten Baker and Henredon tables for less than $100.
    · Reply · Share
    Just texted son to check facebook marketplace. I have looked at Craigslist near him, and didn’t see anything that looked worth pursuing. They are on the east coast, near DC, so Dania won’t work for them. (But I love that bed @BunsenBurner).
    They’re already looking at Wayfair and Overstock.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5824 replies86 threads Senior Member
    Great values can be had and good quality at estate sale type consignment galleries.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 8685 replies82 threads Senior Member
    Another vote for Wayfair and we've also had good luck at Home Goods.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 5390 replies24 threads Senior Member
    We bought a couch on overstock and it was a great price.

Search for sample sales
    Fixing some scratches is super easy if needed.

Search for estate sales
    Lots of times there is an auction but you can get great quality stuff for cheap and you can look at it first and most will deliver. FYI
    · Reply · Share
  • ams5796ams5796 518 replies4 threads Member
    West Elm, Room and Board
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks everyone. I’ve heard Homegoods can be great - but you’ve got to be ready to jump. There’s one near me, and I will be frequenting it for the next couple of weeks.
    I’m trying to remind them they don’t need to get much to start. They have a bed and a desk, and the closets are such that they really don’t need dressers.
    So, they need something to eat/sit on, and a sofa would be great but isn’t critical in the immediate future.
    IKEA is having a sale, so I will take them there this week. They went to Macy’s today as a starting place.

· Reply · Share
  • SingswimsewSingswimsew 26 replies0 threads Junior Member
    In my area there is an Uber-like app called, I think, Bungii or something similar. If you find something you can't carry you summon someone with a pick-up truck just like you'd summon a ride on Uber and they will deliver it.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 5390 replies24 threads Senior Member
    At Macy's and the like see if they can buy floor samples. Sometimes the new stuff is coming in and a way to save money.. FYI
    · Reply · Share
  • 3kids2dogs3kids2dogs 243 replies24 threads Junior Member
    Do any "real" furniture stores near your kids have local outlet stores or clearance/scratch and dent outlets attached or nearby? We have a Crate and Barrel outlet nearby and I bought all of my kids' furniture at the Land of Nod portion super cheap.
    · Reply · Share
  • 4kids4us4kids4us 800 replies4 threads Member
    @1214mom, do they have Homesense nearby? I’m in MD and we have one nearby. It’s part of the Marshalls, Homegoods chain but the one near me has a lot more actual furniture than Homegoods (couches, chairs, tables, rugs, lamps, etc). In MD, there is one in Columbia and Annapolis and in VA there is one in Fairfax.

Being in the DC/Baltimore area, I’ve had great luck with Craigslist as there are so many areas to search. For quality wood furniture that isn’t expensive, you have to be willing to buy older stuff. I’ve gotten some beautiful dressers with dovetailed drawers in excellent condition. I also found a set of 6 kitchen chairs, perfect condition, for $100 when the same exact chair was selling on Ballard Designs for $125 per chair. We also have a couple of really nice consignment furniture stores where I live that have a pretty good selection of couches, etc. People around here redecorate frequently so the items are still on trend and in excellent condition.
    · Reply · Share