right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
COMING SOON "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. This event is exclusively for registered members. CREATE YOUR CC ACCOUNT NOW to receive event updates!

2020: Consolidated weather issues/travel challenges/airline priority phone # thread

jym626jym626 56518 replies2965 threads Senior Member
edited January 3 in Parent Cafe
With the new year upon us, many are returning home this weekend from their family/school/ winter break holidays. Fortunately at the moment the only severe weather/travel issues seem to be flight delays and some road flooding in the SE.

So, perhaps this year instead of restarting multiple weather threads with each travel challenge, we can consider having one consolidated “travel issues/weather challenges” thread, and include priority phone numbers for the airlines that might help get through to them faster and more efficiently.

I found the priority phone # that was handed to me by an agent during a horrible snowstorm causing massive cancellations, but it turned it to be from US Airways, which is now American airlines, so that phone # is unhelpful. That said, the following might be helpful if you encounter problems on Delta:

Delta priority phone #s: 800-221-1212 or 800-325-1551

Please add phone #s you have found helpful to reach airlines, and add weather/travel issues as they occur (perhaps please label the weather/travel posts with location so they are easy to identify in case there are several issues occurring at one time). Thanks in advance.
edited January 3
50 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: 2020: Consolidated weather issues/travel challenges/airline priority phone # thread

• jym626jym626 56518 replies2965 threads Senior Member
    Many people traveling today. Glad weather seems to be a non-issue. Safe travels, CCers and kids.
    · Reply · Share
  • emilybeeemilybee 13215 replies35 threads Senior Member
    edited January 6
    I just made my reservations to fly to Florida on February. 4th, so expect a big snow storm to pummel the northeast that day. )
    edited January 6
    · Reply · Share
    LOL! My flights are late Feb/dearly March but into snow country.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 35105 replies395 threads Senior Member
    You my wish to look up the phone numbers for the airlines you are flying on and have those numbers in your phone so they are handy just in case. If you have status with hotels, you may want those in your phone as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 76426 replies3379 threads Senior Member
    @emilybee I think you are fine. It’s really going to snow on January 20 and 21. Ask me how I know!
    · Reply · Share
    LOL- heading where?

Hearing about bad storms in the NE today. Everyone ok?
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 23022 replies194 threads Senior Member
    I’m on my first of 4 trips this month heading into fairly moderate climates. So far so good.
    · Reply · Share
    edited January 11
    Severe thunderstorm warnings are predicted here. Coming across Louisiana at the moment with a “level 3” weather alert, possible tornadoes and lots of flooding. Lovely. And there is also a “Winter Storm Isaiah”. Is that in the midwest?

** Update- many flights cancelled in/out of O’Hare .
    edited January 11
    · Reply · Share
    Why is snow always forecast for holiday weekends? Weather forecasters here are saying significant snow for this Saturday, starting in the afternoon. Hoping my kid’s flight that arrived at 11:15 gets here!

It’s MLK weekend, and some schools still have a winter break that’s up to a week long.

Could be a rescheduling mess if the forecast is accurate!
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8433 replies215 threads Senior Member
    I just booked a flight for mid-Feb. Layover at MDW. What was I thinking?
    · Reply · Share
    Oh boy @Iglooo

Maybe you will hit it lucky.
    · Reply · Share
    Oh my! Hoping that all these flights will go smoothly!
    · Reply · Share
  • PrdMomto1PrdMomto1 300 replies5 threads Member
    Yeah, we learned a hard lesson this year for my freshman heading back after winter break. We booked her on a Sunday morning flight. On Friday her flight was cancelled due to the weather forecast (which incidentally turned out to be wrong and the other flights that did not cancel 2 days ahead of time took off no problem). All flights from our airport to her school airport quickly filled up and we had no options but to book a fight out of another airport about 2 hours away. Not a big deal but while the airline would pay if we flew out of our original airport, they would not cover the cost difference between the flight we booked many months ago on sale and the current cost because it was a different airport. SO, we had to cough up over $400. Next year we will plan on her heading back a day earlier so if there are weather issues we will have a little time buffer to get her back before classes start.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 39905 replies2196 threads Super Moderator
    When we fly to Florida for cruises that leave in the winter, we leave three days early, minimum.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 922 replies2 threads Member
    We too always padded kids' return date(s). They continue to do the same and it saves a lot of stress.

Husband was scheduled to attend a conference this Saturday (northern New England). Yesterday -- Monday -- they already rescheduled it to end of March based on forecast. Snow predictions for Saturday have veered between 11"+ and flurries. I'm staying home with a book.
    · Reply · Share
    My kid has a commitment on Monday night. She is supposed to get here Saturday morning. We hope it all works out.

Last weekend it was almost 70. Weird weather.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 80092 replies719 threads Senior Member
    thumper1 wrote: »
    Why is snow always forecast for holiday weekends?

Because those holidays are during the (northern hemisphere) winter?
    · Reply · Share
    @ucbalumnus there are tons of winter weekends that are not holidays or big travel days🙄
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 20149 replies891 threads Senior Member
    Some dicey weather happening here in the midwest overnight - if you're traveling the next 24-30 hours, stay safe!
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 8670 replies77 threads Senior Member
    Supposed to be on a flight tomorrow morning out of ORD. Praying we get the low end of the forecast for snow. At least our flight seems to be originating here.
    · Reply · Share