right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
COMING SOON "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. This event is exclusively for registered members. CREATE YOUR CC ACCOUNT NOW to receive event updates!

Fear and loathing - moving house after more than 30 years

fendrockfendrock 2926 replies297 threads Senior Member
edited January 5 in Parent Cafe
We are considering moving.

We've lived in our home for more than 30 years. We have a lot of stuff and have not kept pace with clearing things out of the house.

I absolutely dread the thought of going through everything, throwing stuff out, figuring out what to do with things we don't use but are too valuable to just toss (anyone else have fine china from their wedding they haven't used in decades...) and moving the rest.

How have others managed this? Was it as bad as you expected? How long did it take?
edited January 5
94 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Fear and loathing - moving house after more than 30 years

• CMB625CMB625 331 replies8 threads Member
    I'm in the same boat! Except we have china from both grandparents also!
    · Reply · Share
  • one1ofeachone1ofeach 723 replies17 threads Member
    Consider hiring someone to help you if at all possible. There are people in our area who will come and figure out how to recycle/throw away/sell things for you. My in laws did this a few years ago and my mil had never thrown away a single thing her kids had produced. It took them a full year+ to get the house cleared out. So I guess leave yourself a long time or hire someone.
    · Reply · Share
  • one1ofeachone1ofeach 723 replies17 threads Member
    Also, watch organizing shows on YouTube as you wade through - it can be motivating!
    · Reply · Share
  • fendrockfendrock 2926 replies297 threads Senior Member
    ugh, I think the only thing that will motivate me is selling the house and knowing we need to be OUT.
    · Reply · Share
  • AlmostThere2018AlmostThere2018 1468 replies58 threads Senior Member
    edited January 5
    Watching my in-laws do this now -- in their 80s! Ack. We'll be moving from our home of 20 years in a couple years, and it will be hard!

But then again we moved into our current house when my D was 4 and my S was 1 so how can this be harder, right? Even though we have more stuff now. . .

When we downsize our kids will still be in college so the hardest part is figuring out what to hold on to in terms of household items/furniture that they may want for their first homes. My current thinking is not much -- who knows when and where they will be -- and will they really want our stuff, especially if they have to transport a long distance? I don't want to pay a monthly storage fee for years with no idea if it'll ever be used.

I figure used furniture is like fruit cake and just gets passed around. We will donate or cheaply sell ours when it's time and they will buy used stuff from other empty nesters close to wherever they are. Or, heck, they'll prolly just get cheap Ikea stuff, right?

We'll hold on to meaningful art / decorative items for them and some kitchen items that are easy to transport.

Will be watching for others' tips!

PS -- I own THREE sets of crystal! Mine, my mother's and my grandmother's! I have one daughter and two nieces so each will be getting a set even if I have to track them down and personally deliver, lol! :)
    edited January 5
    · Reply · Share
    edited January 5
    My husband is something of a packrat, which adds to the challenge.

I did go to considerable effort to clear out one area and my husband had refilled it within a month or two, so it seems like a Sisyphean task.
    edited January 5
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 8672 replies77 threads Senior Member
    Try to get on the same page with your spouse. Mine is a pack rat too. He hates getting rid of stuff and we had to set some ground rules on what could realistically be moved.

I definitely had to keep more than I wanted but we also got rid of a ton too.
    · Reply · Share
    Agree that the house needs to be cleared out so that it can be staged and sold, however, our house is highly, highly likely to be a teardown.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 76432 replies3379 threads Senior Member
    Even if it’s thought to be a teardown, it will help everyone...including you...to clear it out now.
    · Reply · Share
  • AlmostThere2018AlmostThere2018 1468 replies58 threads Senior Member
    edited January 5
    @thumper1 -- haha! I was being a bit tongue in cheek. . . The crystal is pretty cool actually (think mid 20th century, Madmen) so part of me thinks they'd like their retro nature. Also, my mother died when all her grandkids were little so it's one of the only things to remember her by. But I will certainly ask b4 burdening them.

While in college I don't think that my kids have any idea what they will want down the line -- other than art and some things from our family travels -- but we'll see.

edited January 5
    · Reply · Share
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us 1457 replies44 threads Senior Member
    I think about this a lot. I'm not attached to the physical stuff as much as the mementos. I have BOXES upon BOXES of kids' stuff. Favorite clothing, t-shirts, artwork and papers from preschool- HS. I'd have such a hard time getting rid of that. Maybe I should start slimming down on that all . . .. but it has such cherished memories!

I've heard you should take pictures of it all; that's not a bad idea.
    · Reply · Share
  • mamalionmamalion 733 replies26 threads Member
    Moving this year after 20 years in a house: 400+ miles, from a three BR house and garage to a one BR condo . . . it's certainly a process. Slowly I had decided more and more can go. After donating over the last 4 years and buying little new, I'm mentally (not yet physically) down to clothes, books, pictures, 3 boxes of mementos, 2 boxes of kitchen, and 3 or 4 pieces of furniture.

Try reading this book. It's easy, fun, and relevant. Sooner or later everything winds up in the landfill.
    https://www.amazon.com/Long-Haul-Truckers-Tales-Life-ebook/dp/B01M2XRQ50
    · Reply · Share