right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What Items In Your Possession Would Your Kids Want?

abasketabasket 20200 replies892 threads Senior Member
You can tell it's January with all the "clean out" and "stuff" threads. :)

I got to thinking reading one of the threads.... Taking jewelry out of the equation, if I look at my mom's house (she is not a pack rat and is pretty pared down in her probably 1500 square feet house), there is very little I would want to have. None of her furniture. No art. Some photos but she has already given me a lot. A couple of old dishes she brought from Morocco where she met and married my dad. No china, dishes. No collectibles (neither she or I "collect").

So I think about my house - what would my kids want??? Maybe a couple pieces of wood furniture that were passed down and H and I refinished. Son loves my couches. :) I don't have china or expensive dining pieces.

I think if anything they would take a few random not valuable but special memories to them small things.

Are we - like our parents may have done - fooling ourselves that our kids would want our stuff and we should hang onto it?

So just food for thought - what in your house would be prime "THAT'S MINE" property for your kids????
98 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What Items In Your Possession Would Your Kids Want?

• MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 39965 replies2197 threads Super Moderator
    My daughter knows she's getting the Steinway! That's about it, ha.
    · Reply · Share
  • MabelsmomMabelsmom 11 replies0 threads New Member
    Daughter and son already having a friendly argument about who gets the piano !
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 39965 replies2197 threads Super Moderator
    My parents have a beautiful old Baldwin grand piano but the estate sale people said there is not much of a market for used pianos anymore (unless they're Steinways). They said it's even hard to give them away.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 8750 replies82 threads Senior Member
    My D wants the grand piano, and will get it as soon as she has her first house.

She also staked claim to our second home furniture which is from IKEA :( No desire for any of the antiques or art, with the exception of two more modern pieces.

Now, she's only 19 so that may change as she grows older but I'm not holding my breath.
    · Reply · Share
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay 19411 replies462 threads Senior Member
    No piano here, but ds2 has said that he wants my magnet collection. I thought that was sweet.

I've told them about three pieces of furniture that I hope they keep -- one is the cedar chest made by my dad's best friend (and who my kids have met) and given to my parents when they were married, a bench my dad built that literally I have had people try to buy from me, and a small upright dresser my grandfather built. After that, I don't care what they want or what they choose to sell/trash.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 22815 replies239 threads Senior Member
    edited January 6
    In their current situations (small apartment, transient) probably not a lot now but I'm sure there are things they'd want in the future - a few furniture pieces, artwork. They already taking more than a few things from both us and their grandparents. But, my kids are kind of boho/old school, less into trends and more into quality. They like vintage and thrift shop a lot for both possessions and clothing.

I'd love a lot of stuff from my parent's home. My mom has excellent taste and has some beautiful antique furniture and lots of wonderful artwork. I'll have to share with my siblings, so unfortunately I won't get everything I'd want. :)
    edited January 6
    · Reply · Share
  • milee30milee30 2292 replies14 threads Senior Member
    My tools and a few of my good cookware pieces.

We're a practical group.

I gave away my wedding china years ago and now just have a small set that I bought on a whim at a thrift store one day. It's pretty to me but probably of no value and I doubt either son would be interested, so it will probably be recycled back to the thrift store from which I bought it. Sounds reasonable to me.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32777 replies160 threads Senior Member
    My older son? Nothing.

My younger son? He likes real furniture - right now his apartment is too small to put much more in it, though he has his eye on a sideboard in our dining room I'd like to get rid of. He already has my mother's wedding china. (Very Mad Men, but worn.) I wouldn't be surprised if he took the silverware and a fair amount of art once he has wall space.

We have a ton of art - both our parents collected art from Africa and Asia and I paint so there are quite a few of my watercolors.
    · Reply · Share
  • momo2x2018momo2x2018 945 replies52 threads Member
    My son would take the piano ( it has been handed down through four generations); he plays, my D doesn't. My D wants my fur coat - I'm not sure where she would wear it given that she's vegan, LOL! When my H dies, I will bury the contents of the garage with him; other than that, it's a free for all!
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 35131 replies396 threads Senior Member
    My H hopes that the kids & I will love all the tools he's acquired and now catalogued over the years. Honestly, no idea what any of us would do with all of them, but they are in excellent condition. His brother similarly has tons of lovely well-organized tools that only H and brother appreciate.

No idea what (if anything) our kids would want of ours. Maybe nothing? Of course, D has loved some of my jewelry items, but that's about it.
    · Reply · Share
  • jmnva06jmnva06 812 replies7 threads Member
    D1 already has dibs on my collection of setlists from concerts
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 13221 replies247 threads Senior Member
    I'm clearing out my house now to travel long-term, and it seems my kids want some of my art but that's about it.
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 3376 replies13 threads Senior Member
    If I keeled over tomorrow, the kids (early 20s) might want to dig through my hiking & camping gear & pluck some goodies. The kitchen has some things they need, as well.

If I make it to later decades and my kids are already established? I'm confident they will want nothing.

· Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4621 replies334 threads Senior Member
    Gosh, I have no idea. Right now in their lives probably just photos, DVD’s and practical stuff, lamps, etc. . No room for furniture and not their taste anyway.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJresNJres 6056 replies189 threads Senior Member
    I don't think they want the Steinway. I'm not even sure I want it. Beautiful piece, sounds good, 100 years old. I would do better with a good electric. Maybe my guitar (Martin D-18) because S2 plays guitar. I don't think they would even want the corvette. (These "kids"!). Pretty much nuthin!
    · Reply · Share
  • liska21liska21 673 replies10 threads Member
    edited January 6
    Eldest wants the china that was passed down from his grandparents and the art. Younger 2 would probably take a variety of outdoor gear. One of them will want the house surely.
    edited January 6
    · Reply · Share
  • silverpurplesilverpurple 214 replies45 threads Junior Member
    From my house, my kids would take my pots and pans if they didnt have their own. What i wish was left to me were my grandparents’ 1920s ornate lamps, bowls and tchotchkes. They were all given away when the house was sold.
    · Reply · Share
  • shellfellshellfell 3463 replies12 threads Senior Member
    I doubt my adult sons would want anything but family photos (which they'd probably promptly scan and toss out the originals). Maybe S2 would take some of our electronics if he could find the space for them. DH has some antique books he's hoping one of them will want- I'm not so sure.
    · Reply · Share
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay 19411 replies462 threads Senior Member
    Ds1 definitely wants this house. We talked about it yesterday! He'll have to buy out his brother's half.
    · Reply · Share