right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Big News From Harry and Meghan - Royal Family Stepping Back

abasketabasket 20192 replies891 threads Senior Member
Apparently they are “step back as senior members of the Royal Family,” and planning to split their time between the UK and US!

Discuss! :)

https://people.com/royals/prince-harry-and-meghan-markle-announce-shocking-move-to-step-back-as-senior-members-of-royal-family/
462 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Big News From Harry and Meghan - Royal Family Stepping Back

• Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 3306 replies62 threads Senior Member
    edited January 8
    Happy for them. But it says they will be splitting time between UK and North America. Could be US, but considering they were able to fly under the radar so long in Canada, and it's a Commonwealth country, I would expect that's where they might live part-time.
    edited January 8
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 20192 replies891 threads Senior Member
    ^^ Apologies for the US assumption!!!! I vote to live in Canada too! ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 39963 replies2197 threads Super Moderator
    Wow, good for them!
    · Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3553 replies12 threads Senior Member
    It will be interesting to see what they will actually be doing (with their time and also financially) if they aren't going to representing the family in all the usual charitable activities that I see on their instagram sussexroyal. This plan also seems flexible - they could change their minds. Maybe Prince Andrew's daughters will take over some of their duties. On another royal instagram page, we just saw Edward's teen daughter Lady Louise doing some work with her mother.
    · Reply · Share
  • itsgettingreal21itsgettingreal21 226 replies5 threads Junior Member
    I applaud this decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4621 replies334 threads Senior Member
    I remember reading several years back that Harry, at one point, was so unhappy that he was seriously considering giving up his Royal title (and probably prince title, too). I think this is a wonderful compromise for him and his family. I’m happy for him.
    · Reply · Share
  • kelsmomkelsmom 15793 replies99 threads Senior Member
    I also applaud the decision. Harry is not the king-to-be, so he doesn’t have the same obligation to put up with all that comes with that life in the way William does. They plan to work toward financial independence, according to what I read, which would allow them to dictate the manner in which they want to stay involved with Royal “duties.” The information I read seems to point toward North America being Canada.

Best wishes to them for a happy life.
    · Reply · Share
  • katliamomkatliamom 12987 replies169 threads Senior Member
    I think this has a lot less to do with Harry and Megan, and more to do with the ongoing efforts to shrink the royal family -- and their taxpayer expenses.

Prince Charles has been advocating this for a long time.

It's also going on in the royal families elsewhere in Europe.
    · Reply · Share
  • shellfellshellfell 3461 replies12 threads Senior Member
    Good for them. Harry's so far down the line of succession at this point that pulling back from royal duties isn't such a big deal.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 4348 replies56 threads Senior Member
    edited January 8
    Shame they didn't do this before the wedding. Frankly it looks like a great business decision though. Monetize the publicity thus far and control the narrative. The karshashianization model.
    edited January 8
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4621 replies334 threads Senior Member
    edited January 8
    @katliamom , I think you hit on something. I have read where Prince Charles is wanting to rein things in. But if it is true that is behind this, at least it aligns with what Harry wants, it would seem.
    edited January 8
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 15252 replies1033 threads Senior Member
    I get the feeling that there will soon be a royal reality show produced by one or more of the Kardashians.
    · Reply · Share
    @conmama With the succession set for a few generations, I'd think it's major relief for Harry to be able to lead a life on his terms, and no longer so much on the royal family's.
    · Reply · Share
    edited January 8
    Well, this is fun:
    the Daily Mail (admittedly a rag) claims the announcement to step back caught the palace by surprise, that the Queen is livid, and that aides say they've been stabbed in the back. "One exasperated aide said: 'People had bent over backwards for them. They were given the wedding they wanted, the house they wanted, the office they wanted, the money they wanted, the staff they wanted, the tours they wanted and had the backing of their family. What more did they want?'"

The person getting most of the blame? Meghan, naturally.
    edited January 8
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 22784 replies239 threads Senior Member
    edited January 8
    ^ Well, that does ring true - the wedding, major renovations to the house (twice I think?), etc. She did seem to relish in it for awhile, until she no longer wanted to do so - like an acting role one participates in for a short while, not a way of life. Not saying it isn't a fine decision given how far removed Harry is in the line of succession.
    edited January 8
    · Reply · Share
  • TS0104TS0104 1115 replies29 threads Senior Member
    @deb922 just watched The Crown Season 3 episode 4(?) that hit on exactly this (the hardest thing to say is nothing at all) ...with the documentary and the Queen's decision to go back 'behind the curtain.' That has changed in our day of course, but still..I would love to hear from the Queen on this!

I may be a little jaded from watching The Crown (IMO it is very sympathetic to the Queen and what she goes through) but I see how this announcement can have the appearance of a stab in the back. Not that I believe or agree with the nasty, negative, Meghan hating comments. I feel that this announcement would have been so much better if it had been jointly made by the Sussexes and the Palace.

I'm most curious about the desire to achieve financial independence and how this will work.
    · Reply · Share