right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
COMING SOON "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. This event is exclusively for registered members. CREATE YOUR CC ACCOUNT NOW to receive event updates!

Best Flooring For Dogs

rockymtnhigh2rockymtnhigh2 338 replies5 threads Member
We have Australian Cyprus flooring at home and even though it is a 'hard wood' it scratches terribly with our 70 lb golden doodle. We have her nails cut and grind every few weeks and she walks on the road with us 4 miles a day. So, we are now planning a DADU and would like dog friendly flooring.
Criteria is: no carpet (not like)
no vinyl (just don't like)
no cement or tile (too hard to walk on and if fall will break something in me)
wood (seems ok but inevitably will scratch)
Experience with engineered wood?
or other suggestions you have tried with your big dog?
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Best Flooring For Dogs

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 39656 replies471 threads Senior Member
    edited January 10
    Calibam. That stuff is apparently bomb-proof.

https://www.calibamboo.com/blog/flooring-for-dog-owners/

One acquaintance installed it in the basement and wished that he installed it in the entire house. The
    edited January 10
    · Reply · Share
  • Singersmom07Singersmom07 4225 replies82 threads Senior Member
    S1 has engineered hardwood in his house with 4 big dogs. It still looks great after 5 years.
    · Reply · Share
  • rockymtnhigh2rockymtnhigh2 338 replies5 threads Member
    @Singersmom07 does he have oak or? Brand that’s good?
    · Reply · Share
  • me29034me29034 1791 replies91 threads Senior Member
    I have to ask - what is DADU? Google did not help. I assume it means you are replacing the floor but am completely puzzled by the word.
    · Reply · Share
    It is a Detached ADU. Accessory Dwelling Unit aka Granny Flat. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom 29080 replies243 threadsForum Champion UC Forum Champion
    We have an Engineered Wood flooring from Johnson Hardwood. English Pub Series Distressed Hickory which hides any scratches really well.
    · Reply · Share
  • Singersmom07Singersmom07 4225 replies82 threads Senior Member
    @rockymtnhigh theirs was done with builder so I don’t know what brand it is.
    · Reply · Share
    Calibam and possibly other engineered plank makers will send samples of their stuff. You can test the material for scratch resistance yourself. I am weathering 2 samples of Calibam decking on the deck for 2 years already - so far, so good. They are a strong contender for our deck overhauling next year.
    · Reply · Share
  • dietz199dietz199 3671 replies73 threads Senior Member
    We have 4" plank California tan oak throughout the whole house. Had it refinished in the main area after 10 years and then the whole house after 20. It has held up to two 80 lb dogs, a husband who wears workbooks in the house, two kids and all their friends. Never babied it in any way.

Tan oak is harder than red or white oak. My folks have maple floors. Put in when they were older. They look completely beat up. And they never had a dog.
    · Reply · Share