right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Changes to the Delta AmEx credit card fees and benefits-- any experts here?

jym626jym626 56570 replies2967 threads Senior Member
edited January 22 in Parent Cafe
The Delta AmEx credit card fees are rising and changes are occurring effective Jan 31. It is the only card I have paid for the privilege of owning as it comes with a free buddy airline ticket, which essentially pays for itself. But the rates are jumping and the benefits are changing. I have been comparing the cards as best I can side by side (probably will go back to the platinum from the reserve card) but someone told me of one change in the platinum I hadn't noticed, but I didn't write it down and now forget what it was!

Anyone have the cards and/or familiar with all the upcoming changes? Thanks in advance!
edited January 22
39 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Changes to the Delta AmEx credit card fees and benefits-- any experts here?

• jym626jym626 56570 replies2967 threads Senior Member
    FYI the website to find the changes is newdeltaamex.com Am still looking for that elusive change....
    · Reply · Share
  • somemomsomemom 10911 replies328 threads Senior Member
    I'd ask on Bogleheads, they tend to follow that stuff.
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you, @somemom
    · Reply · Share
  • busdriver11busdriver11 15356 replies28 threads Senior Member
    Okay, I googled this, and there is a Forbes article about the changes. This might lock in my decision. Both me and my husband have our own Reserve card, and at $450 each, I was wavering about whether it was worth it. We never are able to use the companion pass, which stinks, but the fares and flight are so restrictive, we just can’t use them.

The positive about the new rules is that now you can accrue more MQM’s and are not limited to 60K of purchases. That and the club membership is why we keep the card for both. But we can get a free membership for one of us using Delta Skybonus and transfer MQMs to the other person. Two cards are just too expensive.

Until they offer another big signup bonus. Thanks for the heads up👍
    · Reply · Share
    @busdriver11 - do you have the link to the Forbes article?

I hit a higher medallion status this year so some of the benefits that come with the reserve card I will already get with my medallion status. I am not a fan of paying that much $ for the privilege of a card, so might drop back to the platinum card.

I have been reading the options, as best I can decipher. Apparently they did away with the bonus miles on both cards, replacing it with a "miles for purchases" (hotels, supermarkets, restaurants) on the platinum. Oddly, the shopping miles addition seems to be lower on the reserve card. Don't care too much about the lounge access, and if we need it (we can go to the USO) we will pay.

They are now calling "miles boost" "Status boost" and there will still only be 2 bumps on the platinum but there will be 4 on the reserve. I expect to lose my medallion status (it will be a big drop-- possibly back to silver from platinum) at the end of this year, and what I did 2 years ago was to switch to the reserve card in December so it retroactively credited me more MQMs for spending in that year so I was able to keep my gold status this past year. Will see if I need to try that again at the end of this year, as so far, unless there is some big advantage, from what I am reading it looks like I will drop back to the platinum card. Will look for the Forbes article (if you don't have a link)
    · Reply · Share
    Here is the link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/davidrae/2019/10/23/changes-to-the-delta-reserve-amex/amp/

Oh wow, I didn’t notice that you are going to lose the mileage bonus. That’s a huge loss. Ugh, my husbands card will be cancelled, for sure! We still need the MQM boost, so will keep one of them. I anticipate many people dropping the card, and a big bonus for signup at the end of the year, to try to win people back.
    · Reply · Share
    edited January 22
    My DH is a secondary cardholder on my account, so we only pay one card fee, and then all of our purchases got to one account, which is how we get the bumps. No way could we do that if we were each using separate accounts.
    edited January 22
    · Reply · Share
    Problem with that, is don’t they charge extra to have an additional cardholder? Think it’s fairly substantial, too. We can probably get away with it, because we put a bunch of personal taxes, real estate taxes, insurance, and I can be the one whipping out my card for everything most of the time.

Otherwise, our Bank of America card pays ?2.75% on purchases, which is hard to beat.
    · Reply · Share
    No, I believe we only pay one card fee for both cards. This past year I had the reserve and he kept the platinym. Paid only for one (the more expensive) card. I am pretty sure thats alwys been the case. I dont think we ever tried to pay taxes with a credit card! Does the state or the fed charge a fee for that?
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 35126 replies396 threads Senior Member
    When I last checked, the fed govt and HI state charged significant fees to charge taxes with my CCards, more than any benefits I’d get, so now I do e-check which has a much lower fee.
    · Reply · Share
    Hmm, when I just checked, it said they charged $175 for each additional cardholder for the Reserve card, but they also get club access. Maybe you have a different deal than I do. Paying that $175 might make it worth getting the additional card for my husband, since he uses the club all the time.

I believe it costs us 1.87% to pay Federal taxes on a card, which is kind of pricey, but my husband really needs the MQMs this year, also if we use the B of A card, they give us 2.75% in rewards, so it is worth it to use either.
    · Reply · Share
    When I called customer service on the Chase Sapphire card, they said taxes were NOT processed as a charge that got the award perks but classified as something else that netted me NO benefit. I would call to be sure you’re getting the benefit and credit you think you are. This is specific to paying taxes with the card.
    · Reply · Share
    edited January 22
    @busdriver11 my DH doesn't have a reserve card. He has the platinum. So maybe they don't charge for the lower level? That, or I got charged and didn't notice :(. But I don’t think so.... Hmmmm.... gonna have to check.
    edited January 22
    · Reply · Share
  • kjofkwkjofkw 808 replies95 threads Member
    Timely thread. We were considering applying for the Chase Sapphire Platinum for the first time. Main benefit for me is the insurance on rentals, and the limited cancellation / interruption insurance. Currently they are having a 60,000 point sign up bonus once you spend $4000 in the first (3) months, but no waiver on the annual fee. 1) Are there typically better bonuses for which we should wait? 2) Other than the yearly fee, and a temporary credit ding, are there any other disadvantages you have discovered?
    · Reply · Share
    How much is the fee?
    · Reply · Share
    Here’s the comparison between AmEx Platinum and Chase Sapphire Reserve. We have the Preferred, which has an annual fee of $95. It suits our needs. We got a nice signing bonus.
    · Reply · Share
    Is there a link missing?
    · Reply · Share
    As far as the Chase Sapphire not allowing any benefit in taxes, that sounds fishy. I’d call another agent, and check the fine print. Why there would be no benefit is beyond me, as they accrue the fee from taxes. I’ve never been denied a benefit from any card for taxes, and have already accrued benefit this year from the Amex Reserve and Capitol One Spark Business Card ( which has a massive 2K signup bonus if they’re still running the promotion).
    · Reply · Share
    edited January 23
    @busdriver11 — it was complained about on Bogleheads.org, which is what prompted me to call and ask for both of my credit cards. Both said I wouldn’t get my normal 2% or 2.5% because it wasn’t a “purchase,” and their terms specifically mentioned paying taxes.

If it’s wrong, I’d love to know because I did prefer putting taxes on my CCards.

The link I posted was removed. It compared the cards. Maybe it was not a permitted link. One can search and there a few places comparing the cards.
    edited January 23
    · Reply · Share
  • Singersmom07Singersmom07 4225 replies82 threads Senior Member
    Here is a summary of the Delta changes across the cards. https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-amex-current-offers/
    · Reply · Share