right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Anyone been to Istanbul lately?

Classof2015Classof2015 4208 replies190 threads Senior Member
DS is going there in February (he'll be in the area for work). He's 24 and can handle himself, and I have some Turkish friends he'll meet up with. Wondering if anyone used a specific guide they could recommend, or have any other tips. He'll be staying in Bebek in an AirBnB. Thanks
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Anyone been to Istanbul lately?

• stradmomstradmom 5114 replies51 threads Senior Member
    Not terribly recent, but we were there for a few days two years ago. Stayed near the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Cisterns. Definitely an area worth exploring, although the offers of rugs, leather jackets, and tour guiding can be overwhelming.

Lale Pudding Shop for an informal meal or Matbah Restaurant near the Hagia Sofia (their historic recipes were one of my top ten meals ever).

Or course, he'll do the markets.
    · Reply · Share
  • Lassie3Lassie3 236 replies23 threads Junior Member
    We went several years ago. We loved the food tour through Istanbul on Food. We also book most of our European day tours through Viator. They have quite the assortment and you can cross check them with reviews on TripAdvisor. What was really helpful is to go with someone experienced to the grand bazaar. Too overwhelming on your own the first time.
    · Reply · Share
  • Lassie3Lassie3 236 replies23 threads Junior Member
    We like to do a walking food tour on one of our first days. Not only do you understand the cuisine better but you also get a sense of the neighborhoods and lay of the land. They’ll usually give good restaurant suggestions as well. It’s a fascinating city, he’ll have a great adventure.
    · Reply · Share
  • Classof2015Classof2015 4208 replies190 threads Senior Member
    @stradmom - thank you for the recommendations! It makes me want to go there!
    @Lassie3 -- good idea about the walking food tour. I remember the grand bazaar as being overwhelming. Sort of like Macy's Herald Square on steroids, all outside, with people shoving things in your face. Thanks!
    · Reply · Share