right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

HealthyHabits - nutritious food recommendations

Replies to: HealthyHabits - nutritious food recommendations

• abasketabasket 21010 replies908 threads Senior Member
    @mom60 I was actually looking at that Lotus brown rice ramen yesterday at Costco! Didn't buy it but was curious.
    · Reply · Share
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom 3055 replies28 threads Senior Member
    I avoid wheat, and in my Asian market I found Mama brown rice noodles. They are fast to prepare, just some soaking prior to putting in soup or stir fry, and are delicious. Mama is THE brand of Thai ramen with many styles of ramen. I adore this specific noodle for my own quick meals.
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 9380 replies83 threads Senior Member
    "I think the best thing I’ve done is to minimize the starches and full our plates with more vegetables." - Same here. Even when we do a starch with dinner, my portion size is much smaller now.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 8288 replies513 threads Senior Member
    @abasket I first tried the Forbidden rice ramen of the same brand from Whole Foods. I made a similar sauce and roasted vegetables and served it with sushi ginger, roasted cashews and a fried egg on top. It was good but my H didn’t find the forbidden rice ramen appetizing. I’m constantly trying to come up with vegetarian meals that aren’t heavy in dairy. I’m sure you could find the Costco variety in a smaller package to try it out.
    · Reply · Share
    My friend gave me some turmeric/ginger shots she had bought and didn’t like. I tried one and they are very peppery. They are https://vive-organic.com/products/immunity-boost I still have three left. Any health benefits or are they just another fad?
    · Reply · Share
  • sabaraysabaray 7242 replies80 threads Senior Member
    There have been several discussions over the years on the benefits of turmeric in reducing inflammation. I remembered a few, but I'm sure there were others where turmeric supplements were discussed:

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/2094528-taking-vitamins-or-supplements-p1.html

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/2025247-your-favorite-anti-inflammatory-diet-resource-p1.html

I take 1000 units (think it's mg) of turmeric curcumin daily. The physician I see recommends it for reduction of inflammation in the body.
    · Reply · Share
    A little timely, I was listening to a podcast today and they were reviewing some frozen meal products. So items that would be considered a meal in itself like a bowl, a something in sauce, etc.

One tip they gave was that many of these "in a pinch" meals can be nutritionally boosted by just adding a lot of vegetables to the "dinner". So if it's a prepackaged chicken bowl with a grain, chicken, some veggies and some sauce, add another cup or two of roasted (or steamed) vegetables to it to make it more filling, flavorful and healthy. I thought that was a good tip.

If you can be ahead of the game, pick a day of the week to roasted a bunch of vegetables and then refrigerate to use throughout the week. You can mix them on a sheet pan or separate by vegetable on the sheet pan.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 4744 replies59 threads Senior Member
    edited February 17
    Or just eat the vegetables LOL. Make the vegetables the meal. This is what we used to do when food poverty was real, vs nutritional poverty created by cheap frankenfoods. Even now, despite the constant news to the contrary, vegetables and beans are cheap. Food deserts are a social creation that could easily be fixed with a bit of imagination and commitment by govts. This is literally a conversation about saving the children, fat adults are mostly too late to fix. When we look at the cost of the cheap quick processed food, it needs to be counted in decades of health implications.
    This is a lot like big tobacco, we are all susceptible to this indoctrination.
    edited February 17
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 33082 replies160 threads Senior Member
    I find nearly all the one pot meals that include grains or pasta have at least twice as much of those ingredients as I think appropriate for healthy eating.
    · Reply · Share
    Nothing wrong with a vegetable only meal - sometimes. Vegetables only doesn't feed children's brains and bodies for energy and thinking. And growth and development.

· Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 8389 replies28 threads Senior Member
    I cooked this for dinner tonight:

https://recipecenter.giantfood.com/recipes/175915/lemony-chicken-and-potatoes

Both H and I liked it. H put a ketchup bottle out on the table (for himself, I never eat it), but thought the potatoes were very good without it, so he ended up not needing it. Next time I will try adding some carrots.
    · Reply · Share
    ^^ Looks good! I like the lemon touch. I would mix up a little yogurt and herbs to serve with that!

I do a lot of sheet pan meals. Once you put it together, you can walk away until it's done!

I'm doing meatless Mondays for 2020. H isn't...so I try to make extra on Sunday for his Monday. Tonight I roasted sweet potato cut into small cubes with some onion. Tossed it all in olive oil, and salt and pepper. Roasted and then the last couple minutes topped with some feta. Plated it and added a drizzle of sriracha. Also sauteed some cabbage with paprika. All so good!
    · Reply · Share
    My H gave me a New York Times food subscription. I’m enjoying trying new recipes and I’m always looking for more meatless meals. Tonight I made a vegetarian chili that I served on top of roasted whole sweet potato. It was delicious. Even with chili I try to add more fresh elements such as radish, raw red cabbage and cilantro.
    Another key thing for me to keep things healthy is to plan ahead. If I have food in the house and a plan I’m less likely to go out or pick up something on my way home. My DIL sent a photo tonight of them roasting several sheet pans full of vegetables for the week.
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 9380 replies83 threads Senior Member
    edited February 17
    Although I am not aiming for 37g of fiber daily, I did like the charts ("Trade this" - "For That" ... fiber/calorie wins) at bottom part of this link - https://www.webmd.com/diet/eat-this-fiber-chart

For a few years I've been having oranges (usually clementines) instead of orange juice. It took a while for DH to do same... perhaps got tired of the stale juice at end of the bottle (we are empty nesters). The Sam's freshly squeezed OJ we favored was tasty .... but it pricey and not as filling as the actual fruit. Extra bonus - less packaging waste.

We both like brown rice ;)
    edited February 17
    · Reply · Share
  • sabaraysabaray 7242 replies80 threads Senior Member
    I have some of the brown rice ramen, you’ve all inspired me to actually try and cook with it. Pasta, noodles, quinoa - all huge weaknesses of mine so I’m always looking for healthier options. The chickpea and lentil pastas I’ve tried are not my favorite - anyone have a brand they would recommend?
    · Reply · Share
  • taverngirltaverngirl 1587 replies45 threads Senior Member
    @sabaray I've tried a few nontraditional pastas and like the black bean the best, though I don't eat it much because I try to limit my carbs. I also use zoodles a lot in place of pasta. My daughter likes chickpea pasta - the Banza brand.
    · Reply · Share
  • raclutraclut 3753 replies238 threads Senior Member
    I stopped eating rice due to high levels of arsenic from the soil. Brown rice has 80 % higher levels of arsenic than white rice.

"Basmati rice from California, India, or Pakistan is the best choice, according to Consumer Reports data. These types of rice have about one third of the inorganic arsenic compared to brown rice from other regions."

https://foodrevolution.org/blog/arsenic-in-rice/
    · Reply · Share
  • maya54maya54 2614 replies100 threads Senior Member
    “Regarding the “processed” food definition, I like his rule: Don’t eat something your grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food.”

My grandmother wouldn’t have recognized most very unprocessed, nutritious and delicious sushi as food. Nor kale salad, unsweetened yogurt, or a poke bowl. I like many of Pollan’s rules and try to follow them. This one misses the mark for me.
    · Reply · Share
  • surfcitysurfcity 2698 replies61 threads Senior Member
    @maya54 perhaps you’re taking it a bit too literally. I think Pollan meant something like neon colored sugar cereal, or pepperoni pizza flavored Doritos etc.
    · Reply · Share