right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

HealthyHabits - nutritious food recommendations

1235»

Replies to: HealthyHabits - nutritious food recommendations

• maya54maya54 2614 replies100 threads Senior Member
    @surfcity I just think that part of Pollans rule smacks of neophobia. I think that there are better ways to suggest not eating things with lots of sugar, artificial flavors or colors.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 57359 replies3009 threads Senior Member
    This thread is helpful. Any suggestions for some lower carb foods that are not bowl or curry flavored meals?
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 33082 replies160 threads Senior Member
    The Greens cookbook (an old one) has a great recipe for a warm salad. You saute a red onion, garlic and red cabbage briefly till the cabbage turns color but is still relatively crisp. Add 3 oz of goat cheese, and some roast almonds. Season with salt and pepper.

You could pair it with a ltalian lentil soup.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 21010 replies908 threads Senior Member
    Low carb meals. Take any recipe that calls for an accompanying grain (pasta, rice, etc.) and turn it in to a salad. Or any sandwich into a salad or open faced sandwich on a bagel thin.

Example: I bought an gyros kit at Costco. It came with meat, pita, tzatziki. I sauteed the meat, took just one pita and cut it in half. Made a bed of greens on a plate. Topped with the 1/2 pita torn up, gyro meat and added feta, cucumbers, tomato, banana peppers and tossed it all in tzatziki. It was delicious and I didn't feel shorted!
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 9380 replies83 threads Senior Member
    edited February 19
    We use a Veggetti spiralizer tool ($10, sharp - be careful!) to make zucchini "zoodles", but you can buy them frozen too. We do any topping we used to do on pasta.

We saute the zoodles in frypan with a little oil, garlic, sometimes onion and mushroom, peppers etc (and then steam a while with lid on) . We add leftover meat, jar sauce or canned chopped tomatoes and cook a little more.
    edited February 19
    · Reply · Share
  • DeeCee36DeeCee36 158 replies4 threads Junior Member
    edited February 19
    sabaray wrote: »
    I have some of the brown rice ramen, you’ve all inspired me to actually try and cook with it. Pasta, noodles, quinoa - all huge weaknesses of mine so I’m always looking for healthier options. The chickpea and lentil pastas I’ve tried are not my favorite - anyone have a brand they would recommend?

Have you tried shirataki? They do the job (satisfy my carb-craving) in asian dishes (I use them in ramen bowl type dishes). One tip, though, open the package, dump in a colander and RINSE quickly without breathing in the odor. Trust me on this one.

https://www.thekitchn.com/why-its-worth-getting-to-know-zero-calorie-shirataki-noodles-221166
    edited February 19
    · Reply · Share
  • maya54maya54 2614 replies100 threads Senior Member
    I eat almost no carbs in my non-desert foods. I eat a big salad with protein like salmon or grass fed beef. or roasted chicken with veggies.
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5640 replies138 threads Senior Member
    Have I missed discussion of grains? I have Farro and Barley back in my cooking regime. NYT recipes have lots of ideas.
    · Reply · Share
    @oregon101 - I saw a recipe this week that uses Farro ... was thinking about giving it a try.

Tonight's snack:

What I wanted - one of the chocolate fudge pudding cups, lurking in the fridge from when we were sick a few weeks ago.

What I had instead - half the pudding + 1/4c plain greek yogurt + 1/4 c frozen raspberries + 2t chia seeds. My swap was higher in total calories, but it gave a bit of fiber with less added sugars. Added bonus - it was really tasty and filling. Better yet would be to have it w/o the pudding, which is my more typical choice (sometimes with nuts) .
    · Reply · Share
  • momo2x2018momo2x2018 1042 replies60 threads Senior Member
    I make my own nut butters which are the easiest thing in the world to make; a cup of roasted nuts (warm if possible) run them in the food processor until smooth, a dash of salt and, voila! The only processing in this nut butter, is the food processor!

I also make my own butter - 2 cups of cream in the food processor, run until the cream forms a solid, strain out the buttermilk (use for pancakes/waffles/soups etc.), rinse the butter with fresh water, drain, add a dash of salt and give it another pulse or two, dump out the butter solid onto a cheesecloth, strain and refrigerate.

I also make my own mayonaisse / pesto etc using a good olive oil
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 5178 replies20 threads Senior Member
    raclut wrote: »
    I'd stay away from the Kodiak waffles as it is not made from clean ingredients. One of the things listed is canola oil which is bad news. It is very inflammatory and leads to higher reading of cholesterol. It's also made from oats which are not organic. I would buy Birchbenders keto pancake mix.

Palm oil, not canola. But I’m not sure there’s a big difference.

I appreciated the suggestion, so I ordered 8 Birch Benders Keto pancake cups. However, compared to the Kodiak Cake pancake cup, there’s no contest in my mind. The BB Keto pancake cup is NOT good. It’s like eating an airy sawdust.

BTW, I always add a combo of chia seeds, hemp seeds, wheat germ and flax seed.

If you’re an otherwise healthy individual and only eat them occasionally, then Kodiak wins hands down.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 40827 replies475 threads Senior Member
    @sushiritto - I bought a pack of BB mix. By itself, it is bleh. Mixed with Kodiak 50/50 and served with sour cream - yumm. OK, I am weird. 😂
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 2216 replies28 threads Senior Member
    Healthy pancakes (gluten free) This does have natural sugars but no refined.

Mix:
    1 egg
    1 banana
    add in desired amount of blueberries (or desired fruit)
    (double if serving multiple people)

Cook your mix just like regular pancake batter. I find the blueberries are so sweet there is no need for maple syrup or butter.
    · Reply · Share
    Great hints! Keep them coming. My sister is GF. I'm going to have to try that pancake recipe to be ready for her next visit.

I've gotten lots of use out my stashes of frozen blueberries, frozen raspberries and frozen avocado chunks. They thaw easily enough that I can add them to meals or snacks without advanced planning. So far I've not tried the frozen mango chunks, but they will likely be a fun change of pace while we avoid the supermarket as much as possible over next weeks.
    · Reply · Share
    With limited trips to the grocery store and limited selection once there.... we may have to do some swaps on our favorite go-to foods.

For Fiber, I found this concise chart - https://www.med.umich.edu/mott/pdf/mott-fiber-chart.pdf
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 21010 replies908 threads Senior Member
    I made these today and they are a yummy healthy filling snack. Only 5 ingredients: dates, PB, vanilla, egg, chocolate for dipping. I think they are a great alternative to a bar or a nice little sweet after a meal. Very easy!
    https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/5-ingredient-chocolate-dipped-peanut-butter-cookies/
    · Reply · Share
    edited March 30
    Has anybody tried an interesting new food, due to grocery store shortage?

My grocery store had thankfully been well stocked on most things, but the first time I went there was no peanut butter on the shelves. I picked out some almond butter, which I love. I also decided to try some PEANUT BUTTER POWDER because I had once seen it in a recipe (maybe for Thai dish?). Tonight I stirred some into yogurt, along with some raspberries and sliced almonds. It was good.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/pb2-powdered-peanut-butter
    https://spoonuniversity.com/how-to/8-genius-ways-to-use-powdered-peanut-butter
    edited March 30
    · Reply · Share