right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

The Exclamation Point (!!!!!)

Replies to: The Exclamation Point (!!!!!)

• maya54maya54 2415 replies97 threads Senior Member
    Gen Z sees a difference with: K, kk, ok, and okay and still more differences with the addition of an explanation point or a period at the end of several of these. It’s a whole new world and hard to follow for many of us Baby Boomer/older Gen X’ers
    · Reply · Share
  • musicmommusicmom 2465 replies89 threads Senior Member
    Oh no.
    I have no idea that
    K, kkk, okay, OK have different meanings.

I wonder what my kids are thinking as they read my texts.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 20241 replies893 threads Senior Member
    I find there is a time and place for capital letters. Usually just on a word or two in a sentence in a text - gives emphasis and is more like how you would talk and emphasize.

My S uses a lot of capital letters in his texts which for all of us in the family know that is S's excitement - you can literally HEAR the capital letters in his speaking voice!
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9936 replies538 threads Senior Member
    Kk and k, yes, but kkk? I’ve not seen that, and it looks pretty un-PC.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 56625 replies2969 threads Senior Member
    Am definitely an overused of punctuation marks (and also of not catching the weird autocorrects). DH hates anyone responding to en email or text with “K’ or “ok”. Would never use KKK! Ouch!!
    · Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 1846 replies203 threads Senior Member
    This makes me think of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine and her boyfriend get into an argument about when to use exclamation marks.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 5506 replies25 threads Senior Member
    Just read the above articles. I feel so old at 58.. Lol...
    · Reply · Share
  • my2sunzmy2sunz 721 replies66 threads Member
    I'm a recovering !!! user....haha :) When I go back and re-read emails, I try and eliminate them where I can. Still a work in progress! (see?)
    · Reply · Share
  • stradmomstradmom 5114 replies51 threads Senior Member
    I have a colleague who was considered very intimidating until he started using the occasional exclamation point in his emails. Then people just called him "serious."

!
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 942 replies2 threads Member
    What I've observed between our kids and my husband or me:

30 y.o. son is a purist and texts as though he were writing-- capitalization, punctuation, use of the word "hence" included. Exclamation points denote excitement rather than code for "I come in peace."

27 y.o. son and his wife don't usually punctuate ends of sentences. They tend to transmit one sentence at a time, so the "send" serves to separate them. It actually works beautifully with their understated, dry senses of humor.

I've noticed all three of them tend to use more exclamation points when happy or enthusiastic about something.

Don't know their usage among peers.

Husband and I punctuate "normally" unless in a rush, then we send a bunch of uncapitalized danglers. Husband uses more emojis than I do. I couldn't find a skunk emoji the other day when one of our dogs got hit and had to make do with all the other black-and-white animals in the visual lexicon (vis-i-con?). Needed a lot of exclamation points for those texts!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18749 replies328 threads Senior Member
    I had no idea there were so many nuances in texting language. How is someone whose native language isn't English supposed to manage?
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32791 replies160 threads Senior Member
    I've taken to using the thumbs up emoji instead of OK. Now I'm going to reread all my kid's texts - I'm pretty sure he uses "K' all the time with me!

My 30 year old rarely sends texts, except to say his plane has landed. The 27 year old though definitely grew up in the texting era.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 942 replies2 threads Member
    Good point about thumbs up @mathmom I find myself doing that too, or saying "right," "got it," or something else that I devoutly hope is neutral.
    · Reply · Share
  • 2VU06092VU0609 3613 replies60 threads Senior Member
    I love exclamation marks, parentheses, and emojis. S is an attorney and occasionally remarks on my overuse, though not too recently. No plans to change, however!
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14281 replies64 threads Senior Member
    Too many of those diminish their impact. Shouting with exclamation points or all caps, ellipses too often take away from writing. I know I have decided to not "..." during posts several times. Need to figure the audience knows (or who cares if they don't) there is much left unsaid.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 23023 replies240 threads Senior Member
    abasket wrote: »
    Maybe those of us who use more !!!! or ?!!!! or ....!!!! are just more animated in real life when talking??

Holds true for me!! :)
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 56625 replies2969 threads Senior Member
    Some people are animated when talking over their car speaker phone, and gesture with both hands (neither on the wheel) when driving! Saw that just yesterday!
    · Reply · Share