right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

The Exclamation Point (!!!!!)

13»

Replies to: The Exclamation Point (!!!!!)

• maya54maya54 2391 replies97 threads Senior Member
    My favorite bit from the above article:

"I myself kk rarely. I prefer 'OK!,' which feels more natural, but still conveys to the recipient, through its superfluous exclamation point, the same frantic message that I'm not annoyed or angry (omg why would I be) so please don't feel bad!!"
    · Reply · Share
  • 4kids4us4kids4us 804 replies4 threads Member
    @maya54 thanks for mentioning that book. It sounds really interesting. Adding to my TBR list.

@VeryHappy I’m another who loved diagramming sentences way back when. I was sad to see my kids never were taught that in grammar lessons.

I had no idea all the meanings of okay in text conversations depending on its spelling. I could’ve sworn my kids always use “k” with me but I just scrolled through all of their texts. None of them use “k” and interestingly, both of my girls always text “okay” while both of my boys always text “ok.”

Confused b/c I could’ve sworn older ds always used “k” so was surprised to see it wasn’t him. The culprit? DH! I’ll have to inform him of the error of his ways.

I have never seen anyone use “kk.”

This has been an enlightening topic! And yes, I am guilty of using exclamation points and ellipses.
    · Reply · Share
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay 19406 replies462 threads Senior Member
    I didn't read the linked story but was watching the To All The Guys sequel, and someone used kk. I came back to read about what it meant. lol
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 8109 replies512 threads Senior Member
    I got curious and went back and looked at my messages. Oldest uses thumbs up and OK. Middle kid uses KK and youngest spells it out okay. My oldest messages in a more formal style. She texts in her personal life similar to how she emails in her work. My S the middle child is the opposite. Lots of Ya and his favorite Yup, Yup.
    · Reply · Share
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad 2066 replies73 threads Senior Member
    “Cut out all these exclamation points. An exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke.”

― F. Scott Fitzgerald
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 16
    “Cut out all these exclamation points. An exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke.”

― F. Scott Fitzgerald”

I know you are mostly joking but looking to rules from the past is a failure to understand the linguistic difference ( and its a real and important one) between traditional writing and written speech.

Fitzgerald was spot on regarding good traditional writing. But his point is irrelevant to the topic at hand which is the use of exclamation points to convey tone in texted speech.

Learning the new linguistics is fascinating to me. New forms of communication like written speech do benefit from the thoughtful evolution of rules but ones for traditional writing are not helpful.
    edited February 16
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 16
    “I was texting 32-year-old DS earlier and used kk for fun, then explained that I had been learning about all the permutations. He replied, “Thank you, but please just feel free to talk normally”

Many kids will say this. They are often uncomfortable with the idea of us “old dogs learning new tricks; they will say they don’t want us to. But at work I’ve seen many young people ( younger than your son and thus complete texting natives since early childhood) really question whether they have full approval when they get back a curt “ok” to a request. I think it’s very helpful to understand the new rules especially as companies switch to written speech communication formats like slack.
    edited February 16
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14271 replies64 threads Senior Member
    We never diagrammed sentences in school- thank goodness. I learned many of the names for verb tenses et al while taking French. My grammar and writing were good enough to place in the few allowed honors required lit in college (back in the pre AP days). Learned through parents with good skills and classes where we read a lot of well written lit. No need to know that trivia to use the language well. Time better spent.

Language, written and spoken, always continues to evolve. Rules change. Some things become archaic.

Does anyone else notice when a TV show person uses the incorrect form of words? I do- without knowing the "proper name" of the form to be used. The lack of -ly to some words comes to mind.

· Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 9574 replies119 threads Senior Member
    edited February 16
    I rarely use the exclamation point. Useful to indicate an emergency situation or excited utterance such as when one shouts "Fire !" in a crowded venue.
    edited February 16
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 16
    “There is one absolute rule in writing--NEVER use an exclamation point !

P.S. Sorry for shouting.”

That “ absolute rule” is not relevant to the new form of communication that has emerged mostly out of texting: written speech. An exclamation point conveys things in written speech that it does not in traditional writing. The rules are different and this makes logical sense from a linguistic point of view. Only if you fail to understand that texting is closer to speaking than it is to writing will you misapprehend the issue. ALL CAPS has emerged as the understood written speech form of shouting. Not exclamation points.
    edited February 16
    · Reply · Share
  • 4kids4us4kids4us 804 replies4 threads Member
    wis75 wrote: »
    We never diagrammed sentences in school- thank goodness. I learned many of the names for verb tenses et al while taking French. My grammar and writing were good enough to place in the few allowed honors required lit in college (back in the pre AP days). Learned through parents with good skills and classes where we read a lot of well written lit. No need to know that trivia to use the language well. Time better spent.

I suppose we will have to agree to disagree on this point. While you had benefit of parents with good skills and good classes, there are many who do not. Perhaps it may have wasted your time, but there are so many people who are unable to write well and perhaps could have benefited from learning how to properly construct a sentence. Maybe it’s because I’m a visual learner that diagramming sentences was something I enjoyed back in elem/middle school and I’m sure influenced my writing skills.

· Reply · Share
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 585 replies34 threads Member
    I'm raising 2 Gen Z'rs. I can barely talk to the 12 yr old anymore. We were all in the car and Dh was saying he's going to start going to the gym at work. S told him "Geez, dad you're such a sweat!"
    Um, what?!
    Ya know... a try hard.
    Come again??? LOL
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5844 replies86 threads Senior Member
    🧐🤷🏼‍♂️👍
    · Reply · Share