right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What do you wear for international flights?

conmamaconmama 4634 replies334 threads Senior Member
edited February 14 in Parent Cafe
I need to find a new “uniform” for long flights. One where it won’t look stupid wearing sandals. Therefore, no leggings or joggers. Love that look for traveling, but I’m not taking sneakers at all. I’ll be leaving in September, so fairly warm weather and arriving the same. I get cold on planes. I’ll also be putting on compression socks. I thought maybe palazzo pants, I’ve never worn those.

Trying to get ideas!
edited February 14
91 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What do you wear for international flights?

• Momof3BMomof3B 270 replies6 threads Junior Member
    mathmom wrote: »
    I like slip on shoes at the airport. I generally wear pants with a bit of stretch and pockets. Boot cut looks best on me. Layers on top. I don't like sandals on planes - too many wet bathroom floors.

Same here. For international/long haul flights I wear slip on espadrilles or cute slip on sneakers, boot cut stretchy pants and layers on top...usually a long cardigan and a T-shirt underneath with and scarf.

· Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 6007 replies1 threads Senior Member
    I think that there are perhaps four main considerations for flying, which particularly apply to long international flights:

- Comfortable clothes.

- Avoid clothes that are going to upset the metal detectors. Anything with a lot of metal parts is best avoided or kept in your checked luggage.

- I prefer pants with deep pockets. This reduces or eliminates the risk of anything falling out of the pockets. I also prefer shirts with pockets for things like eye glasses.

- Shoes that can come off and go back on easily, again for the metal detectors. Also, shoes that are meant for walking -- it is common to do a lot of it when traveling.

I have occasionally ignored the first part of the last requirement above. Sometimes if I am only taking one pair of shoes/boots (the ones that I am wearing) to a snowy location, I will put up with a bit of delay to get them on and off for security screening.

I agree with @mathmom that sandals in the airport are a bit risky due to the potential for wet floors. Occasionally when going to warm climates I will put a pair in my luggage.
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4634 replies334 threads Senior Member
    edited February 14
    Well, I do care how I look. If it’s something that doesn’t bother you that’s great. You asking me why I even care doesn’t answer the question nor does it change the way I feel.

I guess those types of statement I find offensive.
    edited February 14
    · Reply · Share
  • alhalh 8518 replies48 threads Senior Member
    edited February 14
    Lately in summer: almost ankle length (on me) Elizabeth Suzann black silk artist dress over black silk tee and leggings, black smart wool socks, black lace up wingtip oxford. Light weight black wool mid-calf length duster, cashmere scarf/shawl. The oxfords slip on and off if they aren't tightly laced. Also, a black straw cloche hat to keep my hair from contact with airplane seat back, and to use as a sun hat on arrival. These layers can take me from temps of 45 to 85 degrees pretty comfortably as we travel.

Leggings work better for me than palazzo pants. No chance of touching bathroom floors.

It's an expensive dress but I may wear it two months straight when traveling, just washing it out and hanging to dry now and then. I've amortized it to almost zero at this point in time. I wear it under wool dresses for winter travel.
    edited February 14
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 56617 replies2968 threads Senior Member
    I have a friend who believes strongly that if you dress nicely on planes you will be treated better.

BOlero pants are another option. I also get cold, so dress in layers or use the blanket. Have a great trip!
    · Reply · Share
  • PetraMCPetraMC 871 replies6 threads Member
    edited February 14
    I wouldn't wear sandals on a long flight. Maybe flats or some other kind of slip on shoe. It doesn't seem sanitary for me in the bathroom and I also want to keep my feet covered in close quarters with other people.

I have several pairs of pants I use almost exclusively for travel. They look like regular trousers but are very stretchy and comfortable for sleeping, and they don't wrinkle. Athleta and Lululemon have a lot and I'm sure there are others.

Other than that, I do layers: comfortable bra (key), t-shirt, sweater or wrap to put on if the cabin is cold. I like to bring my own socks even if they provide it. I also bring my own eye mask that I love: it blocks out ALL the light and it's concave on the inside.

edited February 14
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 20229 replies892 threads Senior Member
    I agree that for such a long flight that comfort and ability to adjust for temperature is what is most important. Doesn't mean comfort has to look bad!

I personally would be wearing 7/8 leggings, a nicer tshirt top and have a layer to pull over that - probably a lightweight quarter zip. I can take the 1/4 zip off at destination and the leggings would be not full length. That's me.

My biggest concern is the footwear. I personally would feel uncomfortable with sandals both for sanitary reasons and for temperature reasons. Not saying that planes/airplanes are filthy but I don't know a lot of ground is covered from getting out of your car at airport one, through security, to gates, on the plane, in bathrooms,maybe multiple flights, etc. - I'd prefer at least a slip on of some type like a Rothy's or Allbirds or something. Or 100% I would wear "sneakers"!
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 56617 replies2968 threads Senior Member
    Will you be doing a lot of walking wherever you are going? Perhaps consider some slip on sketchers with the memory foam padding. Or walking shoes. Super comfortable!

Like:
    https://www.skechers.com/en-us/style/136115/skechers-on-the-go-bliss-easygoing/nvy

or
    https://www.skechers.com/en-us/style/15901/skechers-gowalk-5/nvw
    · Reply · Share
    What I do is slip off my sandals and wear a ballet type slipper when I need to go to the restroom. I have on my compression socks, too. So I need to wear find some thing those can go under.

Agree that Palazzo pants are bad idea because of bathroom situation.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 1952 replies31 threads Senior Member
    Length and class of flight? I assume you mean coach/PE across an ocean, not a hop to Toronto or a lie-flat A380 to Dubai.

How I look to others is the last thing I care about - maybe it’s a male/female thing. Slippers/sneakers, loose jeans, a T-shirt with a heavier pull-over if needed, is about all I’ve work to Istanbul, Sydney, Mumbai, etc. Athletic socks, as I take my shoes off, take care of warmth/sanitary issues. Bare feet are a no-go, and shoes back on for moving about the cabin (fwiw, the A380 trips, travel for work, we’re the same).
    · Reply · Share
  • MeddyMeddy 552 replies36 threads Member
    Marmot has a great pair of travel pants. Thin, loose and very comfortable. They also have slightly thicker versions that you can zip off below the knee.
    · Reply · Share
  • college_querycollege_query 4392 replies337 threads Senior Member
    I travel frequently - most are domestic flights under 4 hours, but occasionally I have work-related international flights of 10+ hours. I'm not exactly fashionable, but want to look respectable. I frequently wear these pants from LL Bean:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/56777?page=women-s-perfect-fit-pants-straight-leg&bc=&feat=womens perfect fit pants-SR0&csp=a&searchTerm=womens perfect fit pants

They're really soft, and with a nice top, they can be dressier. They have different cuts if you don't like straight leg.

I always have layers, and especially when flying to middle eastern countries, take a versatile scarf that I can also use for warmth if the plane is chilly.

I usually wear some slip-on loafer type of shoe (with socks) that are comfortable for walking.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 22969 replies240 threads Senior Member
    conmama wrote: »
    but I’m not taking sneakers at all.

What footwear are you bringing? Good shoes for walking?
    · Reply · Share
    @doschicos. I have wide feet and high arches. I take sandals from The Walking Company. Very very comfortable for me. I typically buy Abeo and Vionic. I’m giving Aetrex a try this time.
    · Reply · Share
  • cbreezecbreeze 4703 replies89 threads Senior Member
    My go to flight uniform is a pair of Lululemon pants (not leggings), socks and slip on shoes. I usually wear a long sleeve shirt (I'm always cold on board) and there's always a windbreaker or jacket and a Turtle Fur light microfleece neck gaiter. I never wear sandals. When I do international flights, I always fly Business so my clothes will also serve as my PJs.
    · Reply · Share
  • emilybeeemilybee 13241 replies35 threads Senior Member
    edited February 14
    I have a great pant I bought at Athleta I wear for traveling or I wear leggings.

I also always throw a pair of socks in my purse if wearing a sandal (like I did last week when I flew to Florida.)

I’m a big believer in layers, too. Sometimes planes are hot and sometimes they are freezing.
    edited February 14
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 76586 replies3391 threads Senior Member
    For plane flights, I wear comfortable pants...like jeggings, or a yoga style pant. I also get cold, so I always carry a pashmina wrap or a cashmere wrap with me. Or a fleece jacket (I have some that are blazer style). The last time I flew internationally, I put a pair of fleece socks in my carryon bag...they felt great while on the plane.

A nice scarf makes me feel sort of put together!
    · Reply · Share