right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

MLB 2020

ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 682 replies39 threads Member
Full squads are in camp and we've got exhibitions on deck this weekend. Welcome back to Baseball!!

With all the baloney that went on w/ the Astros, whether you agree w/ Manfred's punishments or not, does it change your opinion of the MLB? Will you stop watching, or going to games? Or are you still as rabid as ever but secretly hoping for a massive flame out by the 'Stros?

What are your predictions for the season?
I think the Yanks will start off a bit slow. It'll take time for all the new pieces to mesh, but I think they'll get hot as the temps rise. Hoping beyond hope that their new training staff can keep everyone at least moderately healthy this year b/c that was ridiculous last year!!
17 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: MLB 2020

• garlandgarland 16246 replies204 threads Senior Member
    Hi, Mets fan here! So I have no expectations! Oh, that's a lie; I think we're going to make a splash this year, with all the fun young players and a great pitching staff. Bonus if Diaz becomes the guy he was two years ago, and amazing bonus if Cespedes really can play again.

As far as the 'Stros, I hope they're booed and shunned everywhere they go. I hope they flame out and lose 162 games. I get livid every time I think about them, and I'm furious that Manfred didn't strip the title from them.

I'm thrilled that my team did the right thing and fired Beltran. Would have wrecked the year if they hadn't.

Otherwise, play ball! I am the world's biggest baseball fan, and I won't allow these shenanigans to ruin the game for me.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 682 replies39 threads Member
    The Mets could be fun to watch this year! As always, a great pitching corps and you picked up some 'pen help w/ Betances. And Pete is just a beast!! It'll be interesting to see if pitchers make adjustments to him this year & if he can adjust as well.

We're huge Yankees fans here, but we also follow a handful of other teams.
    It wouldn't break my heart if the Astros completely fall apart!! I don't think they will, I think they're still a good team. But I don't think they'll be as good now. They definitely won't be the juggernaut that they've been over the last few years!

Personally, I think they should've been stripped of all their awards, both team and individual, just like olympic athletes! Then I think they should've had a 1 or 2 year ban from the post season, just like they do w/ schools that violate recruiting! I think THAT would've sent a MUCH bigger statement!
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2078 replies33 threads Senior Member
    I think the Pirates were eliminated from the pennant race today....
    · Reply · Share
    Ouch!! Yeah, they've sadly not had a good run. The roster heavily leans 30+ as well. Maybe you'll get some prospects up to get excited about?
    · Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 3528 replies40 threads Senior Member
    I think the whole scandal is much ado about nothing. Silly rules that prohibit using public information if obtained from a television, but ok from binoculars-nonsensical. Players can beat their wives, commit felonies, with much less hoopla than this supposed scandal. A big yawn from me. Perspective, please.
    · Reply · Share
    So a big yawn to breaking the rules? Even after being explicitly warned about exactly what they did? If you don’t agree with the rules, you don’t need to bother following them?

Sadly, I guess that’s the state of society today.
    · Reply · Share
    Pirates actually only have two players over 30 on their 40 man roster. They were the 7th youngest team last year, and that was before trading away Marte at 31.
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 2425 replies21 threads Senior Member
    The Red Sox seem to be in rebuild mode. I hate that. They have so much great young talent on the big league squad. I guess they are dry in farm system. This year is setting up to be underwhelming but who knows. last yr they were ridiculously bad relative to their talent. I think that's a big part of their decision making. They think they can get to 92 0r 93 wins without Mookie, Price, The Brockstar (love that guy) while rebuilding their farm system. I don't see it. Evoldi has to have a killer year.
    · Reply · Share
    Or they over performed in 2018?? I don't know, honestly. Either way, yeah the Red Sox farm system was ranked dead last at the end of the 2019 season. That's a scary prospect going forward. The fire sale they recently had looked like a salary dump, as well. But who do you see as the number 2 team in the AL East? The O's definitely aren't there yet! Tampa? Maybe. Blue Jays? Possibly. They've got some really exciting young guys coming back, but I don't know enough about their pitching staff.
    · Reply · Share
  • shellfellshellfell 3577 replies12 threads Senior Member
    As a Mets fan, I temper my expectations at the beginning of the season. Let's see how they do by August.

Teams and fans of those teams (particularly the ones most affected by the Astros' cheating) will let the Astros know how they feel. I just find it hard to believe that this isn't a more widespread problem throughout the league.
    · Reply · Share
    And Sevy goes down w/ Tommy John.... damn it!!
    · Reply · Share
    So, MLB.TV vs. MLB Xtra Innings...
    We've always had both b/c streaming mlb.tv thru an ipad or such then chroming it to the tv was such a pain!! The kids have PS4s that they use to stream MLB.tv and I bought DH a PS4 for the living room recently. So last night I decided since Xtra Innings isn't available yet, to see if I could figure out how to stream MLB.tv thru the PS4.
    It was really easy!! We watched highlights of the Yankees and caught the tail end of the Nats (which I thought we were blacked out for, but who's complaining!!)

So, is there anything that I'll be missing if I don't get Xtra Innings this year? Has MLB.tv been enough in your experience?? TIA
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 2425 replies21 threads Senior Member
    The Rays are tough and I expect them to be very competitive, likely #2 in AL East. Amazing they get it done with their payroll, lack of fan support, lousy facility, etc. I live in Tampa, and there's just no buzz around the team.

Interesting with the Red Sox, they have plenty of great young, farm grown players on the big league club, but they drained the pipeline.
    · Reply · Share
  • jmnva06jmnva06 822 replies8 threads Member
    I hope an Astro's player gets hit by a pitch every single game.

Other than that I will continue my indifference to the game. I will probably go to 1 or 2 games this season with work or family.

I had my own boycott of my local team since they screwed the city so badly on their stadium deal that it took our local MLS team forever to get its stadium. The boycott ended in the summer of 18 when the new soccer stadium opened
    · Reply · Share
    We just do MLB radio. The Mets have fantastic radio announcers, so I'm fine with just listening to games, when we're at our shore house that doesn't have a tv. When we're home, we get SNY still, and can watch that. I don't think I know what Extra Innings gives you.
    · Reply · Share
    @garland All games, live. We watch ALOT of baseball!
    · Reply · Share
    Ah, I'd probably enjoy that, but it would probably be bad for me! Bet it's fun, though!
    · Reply · Share