right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

City with diverse population and access to outdoors? Any recommendations?

Rae1958Rae1958 3 replies1 threads New Member
My 30 yr old daughter has spent a fair part of her 20s teaching English in Latin America. In the next couple of years, she'll probably come back and have to figure out where to live next. Her childhood community is scattered (NY state) and she's not an urban person at heart. Do you all have any favorite big towns or small cities with ethnic diversity, green space, not too far from areas to hike, not astronomically expensive? All suggestions much appreciated.
82 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: City with diverse population and access to outdoors? Any recommendations?

• rockymtnhigh2rockymtnhigh2 403 replies6 threads Member
    edited February 20
    deleted
    edited February 20
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 23286 replies199 threads Senior Member
    Denver or Colorado Springs might work. Charlottesville, VA.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 25999 replies260 threads Senior Member
    If it wasn't for the diversity part, I could name several. We aren't too ethnically diverse up here in northern New England.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 20579 replies897 threads Senior Member
    I feel like there is still a lot we don't know to help determine....does diversity mean color or sexual orientation...or both? Does hiking mean only mountains or are cool parks ok?

How about climate? A preference? I'll throw my bid in for Columbus, Ohio. Very popular area, cool neighborhoods, great art scene, many local parks and Hocking Hills (amazing hiking!) about an hour away. Reasonable cost of living. Weather is not bad! Definitely less snow and bitter cold than northern Ohio. LOTS of recent grads beeline to Columbus after college graduation. Good food scene.
    · Reply · Share
  • tdy123tdy123 1040 replies18 threads Senior Member
    New Haven, CT. Diverse, inexpensive, college town, access to NYC, lots of hiking trails, free museums, good restaurant scene, did I mention inexpensive?
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 9239 replies93 threads Senior Member
    Cleveland and Pittsburgh fit the bill too.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 2206 replies14 threads Senior Member
    doschicos wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the diversity part, I could name several. We aren't too ethnically diverse up here in northern New England.

There are some diverse areas in NE, like Stamford, CT.

Kent, WA, the entire area of Denver, the area around Las Vegas, NV, Charlotte, NC, Santa Fe, NM, Schenectady, NY, and, if she doesn't mind living on an island, Hilo, HI.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 6428 replies127 threads Senior Member
    Austin Tx.
    · Reply · Share
  • CMB625CMB625 373 replies8 threads Member
    Asheville, NC
    · Reply · Share
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 682 replies39 threads Member
    Chapel Hill is "Surban" very diverse. Lots of green spaces and parks, a short weekend drive to either the coast or the mountains. Expensive if you're in the portion of town w/in the Chapel Hill/ Carrboro schools. But there's a section south that's still CH, but different school district that's more affordable. And everyone we've met is just so darn NICE!! Everyone loves to talk and hear about your day.
    San Antonio?? I don't have any first hand knowledge, but I've heard it's a lovely town!

Second Cleveland! The Metro Parks system is wonderful! Just don't live ON the lake!! LOL Lake effect snow is not for the faint of heart. People are really nice, down to earth.
    · Reply · Share
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal 6472 replies10 threads Senior Member
    Minneapolis StPaul? I second Pittsburgh.

· Reply · Share
  • Rae1958Rae1958 3 replies1 threads New Member
    edited February 20
    Wow, you all are wonderful. Keep them coming! Funny, the Connecticut towns are pretty near us but I hadn't really thought of them. Her younger sister is in Colorado and I don't think eldest loved it during her brief exposure but it might grow on her. Re abasket's questions, diversity mostly referred to ethnicity, because she likes it (white herself) and there have to be some immigrants so she can get an ESL job. About the outdoors access, "cool parks" great, and more serious nature within a short drive even better.
    edited February 20
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32910 replies160 threads Senior Member
    The NYC suburbs (including the above mentioned CT) are a lot more diverse than you might think and many are affordable and have large African American and Hispanic populations. Pittsburgh is a really up and coming place. I have a semi-relative who left Brooklyn for it.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 40399 replies474 threads Senior Member
    edited February 21
    Is a large Asian, Indian, etc. population is OK? This would cover a lot of the greater Seattle area. Lots of recent immigrants. She should check Indeed etc. for ESL teaching positions - that would be an indicatior of job availability in her targeted areas. Lots of postings around Seattle, but some areas here are not cheap. Some are more reasonable. No lack of outdoor fun either (decent skiing is a short drive away).
    edited February 21
    · Reply · Share
  • CT1417CT1417 4462 replies24 threads Senior Member
    Stamford is not inexpensive. And I don't think of New Haven as really affordable either, but I don't know prices once you leave the immediate university area. Tons of free cultural opportunities by the university, but restaurant prices rival lower Fairfield county.

But please do come to CT! We need people!
    · Reply · Share
  • musicmom1215musicmom1215 2858 replies57 threads Senior Member
    Austin, Texas
    · Reply · Share
  • MarilynMarilyn 3997 replies132 threads Senior Member
    Other than cost of living, San Diego meets the criteria. It’s quite diverse : https://www.sandiego.gov/economic-development/sandiego/population. It looks like there are ESL possibilities at the universities (UCSD and SDSU).

There is tons of nature and hiking within easy reach and four climate zones for variety: coastal, inland, mountain, and desert. It’s only astronomically expensive along the coast; as you move inland it goes to just expensive and then more reasonable.

For a large city, San Diego is not really that urban - the downtown isn’t an employment core like most big cities. Major employer areas are scattered elsewhere. It’s very much a city of neighborhoods.
    · Reply · Share
  • HarrietMWelschHarrietMWelsch 2662 replies34 threads Senior Member
    edited February 21
    Seconding / underlining @mathmom's observations about the NYC burbs, especially Westchester. The rivertowns (including Yonkers) are very diverse, as is White Plains, and Westchester has loads of county and state parks, including all the Rockefeller properties. And the Hudson is right there with lots of access points for kayaking, etc.
    edited February 21
    · Reply · Share
  • ThisNameNotTakenThisNameNotTaken 86 replies1 threads Junior Member
    doschicos wrote: »

My D21 and I were in Maine last fall visiting Bates. Lewiston is definitely an acquired taste, but might be worth looking at. I believe Portland also has a fairly substantial immigrant community. Lewiston is probably fairly cheap to live in, Portland, not so much, depending on what you're comparing it with.
    · Reply · Share
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal 6472 replies10 threads Senior Member
    ^^ Great suggestion. Portland is pretty affordable (for the northeast) and the outdoor options in Maine are great. Lots going on there these days. There are a lot of housing options that aren't in the city proper if that's not her thing.

I didn't originally realize that the diversity was for ELL. Yes, lots of recent arrivals as well.

The days are short in the winter and it is often very cold. I realize this may be obvious but worth thinking through. Not for everyone!
    · Reply · Share