right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Check out our newest addition to the Student Lounge. Go to the "STUDENT HERE: Ask Me Anything!" and connect with fellow students who can answer your school specific questions!
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

Accommodations for Lab

Dancer41Dancer41 89 replies20 threads Junior Member
My daughter is taking her first lab science class at the college level. She is not a science person but this is a requirement. She has accomodations for a disability and also has processing issues. She gets extra time, audio books, etc. She's done really well in college so far but can not handle lab. Most of her college work is done independently, she has her ways of learning, reading and getting things done most of which take a LONG TIME but she's used to that. Lab is done in a group which helps for her physical challenges but it takes her a longer to process things including following the instructions and the group is usually ahead of her and then she's quikcly lost. She met with the lab professor and they are open to creative ways to help her and wanted to take some time to think through what that might look like. I was wondering if anyone has a child who needed special accommodations in lab and curious to hear about them to give some ideas for her to think about. I thought about things like allowing her take pass/fail even though the deadline has passed, "audit" somehow the lab by observing but not participating (not sure if that's feasible or fair) or somehow partner her up with the prof or TA vs her peers.

Appreciate any thoughts.
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Accommodations for Lab

• mominvamominva 3124 replies36 threads Senior Member
    edited February 22
    @Dancer41 , wondering if it is this specific course that is the requirement, or just that she complete any lab science?
    One of my kids fulfilled a lab science requirement with an astronomy (for non-majors) class with night sky observations as the lab. The students had to show up to the observatory (it wasn't an independent study) and answer specific questions in a lab journal, but it did not require detailed methodology of say a step-by-step chemistry experiment.
    Would something like that be available?
    edited February 22
    · Reply · Share