right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Cooper Union is rumored to release decisions tomorrow (4/1). Share your outcome!
Tulane is rumored to release decisions today (3/31). Share your outcome!
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

What little things drive you crazy?

snowballsnowball 2820 replies247 threads Senior Member
I am home doing housework today and bored, so thought I would start a new thread! :blush: What bothers you, that might not bother your friends? I will admit, most on my list involve my husband, but after 40 years of marriage, I am sure there is plenty of things I do that drive him nuts!

When my husband make coffee in the morning, and yes, I appreciate he does it, he always pulls the coffee maker out to the edge of the counter, with the handle pointing out. I have bumped into the handle a number of times as the silverware drawer is right there. I have requested several times that he turn the handle back a bit, and that the coffee maker does not have to be at the edge. I have now given up and just move it every morning when I get my coffee.

Same husband that does the dishes after dinner many nights, stacks all the dishes in the sink and will put the pots and pans on top. I have had a few broken/chipped plates and can not get to the drain due to all the dishes. I prefer all the dishes and pans to go beside the sink and I wash one at a time unless a pot needs to soak.

Pantry door is always opened. He figures he will return the item he took out at some point, so why close it!

Leaves on every light in the house. I go behind him and turn them off; not as an energy saver, I just hate tons of light on.

My 23 year old coworker hums and sings to herself a good part of the day. For some reason, that is all I hear and it drives me batty.

People that jiggle their legs while in a common area such that your seat jiggles.
106 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What little things drive you crazy?

• Midwest67Midwest67 3468 replies14 threads Senior Member
    I have a coworker I rely on and he needs to make decisions and contribute in order for me to complete my work.

We have very different working styles. He is a blur of energy and often throws things together at the very last minute. He's not very good with details.

I like things to be taken care of well ahead of deadline, leaving room to fix anything that is amiss. I would rather email than talk on the phone. He is phone all the way.

His working style makes me feel like it creates more work for me, and it can make me cranky.

I've observed that others in the organization are either unbothered, or shake it off, so I'm trying to learn ways to deal with it so I suffer less.
    · Reply · Share
  • Sue22Sue22 6695 replies117 threads Senior Member
    My own typos.
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 9323 replies83 threads Senior Member
    edited February 22
    Trendy/odd phrases - "bad actor" , "empathy" (when they really have not been "in that person's shoes"), "solutionize" (what is wrong with "solve"?)
    edited February 22
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 23232 replies198 threads Senior Member
    @snowball I have the opposite problem with my husband and it drives me crazy. He would live in the dark! I was raised to put lights and lamps on at dusk so that the house felt warm and welcoming and he is Mr. Energy Efficiency and never puts on the lights unless absolutely necessary. I also have vision problems in low light levels, and it is a constant source of irritation to me.
    · Reply · Share
  • snowballsnowball 2820 replies247 threads Senior Member
    @Marilyn I guess I was bored 2 years ago also!! Yes, he still annoys me, but he would say the same about me :neutral:

@MomofWildChild I don't mind lights, but when he changed all our can lights to brighter bulbs on the main level, and turns everyone on while we are watching tv, I go and turn them down. We put dimmers on them for a reason. I don't mind all on while doing work/cooking etc.., but for relaxing, I prefer the tableside lamps.

· Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 40333 replies474 threads Senior Member
    I can't stand the designations DH, DS1, DD etc for family members. Too bad for me, because everyone uses these!

I try to avoid them - for @MomofWildChild's and my own sake! :)
    · Reply · Share
  • AboutTheSameAboutTheSame 3167 replies47 threads Senior Member
    Married for 32 years and I still cannot stand her very loud [trust me on this one] yawns in the family room after I've gone to bed if she decides to stay up and watch something on the telly. Can't close the bedroom door or the cats will complain. I limit myself to a gentle [for me] reminder every year or so. Seems to work for a few months. I'm sure there are things I do that annoy her just as much. <3 to all.
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4727 replies341 threads Senior Member
    @MomofWildChild , I’ve really tried to avoid them now since I know it grates on your nerves. It is easier not having to type the D.
    · Reply · Share
    @conmama I'm in the definite minority, so no need to change your practices! :)
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4727 replies341 threads Senior Member
    @MomofWildChild , I just started typing it when I started on Forums because everyone did it, I remember asking what the letters stood for. Like I said it’s easier to not include it, actually, and easier to read.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4874 replies190 threads Senior Member
    I will read all of these later, but the thing that drove me CRAZY was when my husband went through a high pitched whistling phase. He whistled ALL THE TIME. When he woke me up about 5 AM with his whistling in our bedroom I screamed at him (not proud of it, but he woke me from dead asleep). He realized he needed to stop, and he’s trying. He likes “noise” - singing, whistling, listening to music and I like quiet (don’t mind listening to music sometimes, but I don’t need to hear/make noise 24/7.
    OK - vent over.
    · Reply · Share
  • somemomsomemom 10940 replies329 threads Senior Member
    I would rather email than talk on the phone. He is phone all the way.

Me, too! Don't call me when you can email or text! Probably because I have worked on the phone for so many years. But also because it interferes with my multi-tasking.

· Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 56929 replies2987 threads Senior Member
    edited February 22
    @snowball- I think we are sisters from another mother and/or married to twins. My DH leaves lights on all the time and leaves pantry and cabinet doors open. He also puts stuff randomly in the dishwasher that isnt really in any of the racks and I always have to rearrange the things in the dishwasher. I don't always see if he happens to start the dishwasher, so we have lots of chipped dishes and bowls.

The leg bouncing/jiggling thing drives me NUTS. I literally have to block it with my hand from my line of sight if someone is doing it.

The other thing that bugs me is when people are constantly late. What’s the message to the people waiting- that their time is more important?

Last annoyance- my DH likes to listen to podcasts when we are in the car and he listens to them at 1.5 speed. Sounds like the Chipmunks! Arggh!
    edited February 22
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 23182 replies296 threads Senior Member
    edited February 22
    No H any more, but toward the end even his breathing bothered me, so I guess that was a sign.

I am also with @jym626, I hate it when people are late, and that includes professional service people. My tolerance is around 15 min. It doesn't include when people have a legit reason and text me to let me know (traffic in NYC is not a legit reason).

It bothers me when I am having a meal with someone and the person talks about all the stuff they can't eat. I want to tell them to just order something they could eat and stop telling me why they don't eat meat, wheat, etc. Of course, the worst is when they try to tell me why I shouldn't eat certain things (like bacon because it could cause cancer).
    edited February 22
    · Reply · Share
    I should have been more clear. I don’t even like the D, S or H. I want it spelled out!
    · Reply · Share