right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Schools are not offering in-person tours because of COVID-19, but many offer virtual tours. Check out our directory of virtual campus tours we know about right now.
Many schools have delayed their deadlines for enrollment due to COVID-19. Check out our exclusive directory of extended deadlines we know about right now.
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!

Going back to work after being a SAHM???

momofsenior1momofsenior1 9265 replies93 threads Senior Member
I feel like there is an existing thread about this but I can't find it. If there is, I'd love to be pointed in the right direction.

I inadvertently am being considered for a job (long story). I'm super excited that someone doesn't think my skills are obsolete but I'm also super nervous about the possibility of going back to work. I'm most concerned about losing my flexibility in seeing my D, my parents, and traveling with my DH.

That said, I would like to go back to work, and have been searching for a while for a part time position that speaks to me. I've applied for a handful of jobs over the past year that haven't panned out but this one seems like a great fit.

Feels scary though to even be considering going back into the work force after so long!

53 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Going back to work after being a SAHM???

• abasketabasket 20596 replies898 threads Senior Member
    I can't offer advice as I've always worked at least part time if not full time.

But if it's a job you think you would enjoy and it wouldn't turn your home world upside down in a bad way, AND you've been looking, why not try? It's a great way to grow your world!

How long since you last work? Does the job sound fun/interesting/in your wheelhouse?? Be sure to ask about the flexibility for those things important to you - like time off for vacations or school functions, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 9265 replies93 threads Senior Member
    I haven't had a paying job in over 10 years. Been super active as a volunteer in my field the entire time though.

This job is absolutely in my wheelhouse. It's a great fit for me, and I think for the employer. It's a very small operation though so my big fear is vacation time/flexibility.

Ideally I was looking (unsuccessfully) for contract or short term project work, but this would be 30 hours/week.
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4772 replies341 threads Senior Member
    I’ve done that twice now after I left my career. Wanting to do something PT, but not wanting all the working stuff (asking fur vacation), etc.

The first was contract and came to an end. The 2nd I quit after 10 weeks because it was a hostile work environment. Both places I really enjoyed the work, the busyness and the paycheck.

It’s scary to jump off that ledge. But my DH tells me if I hate it, quit!
    · Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 3537 replies40 threads Senior Member
    I am so happy for you and hope it turns in to your dream job! You can do It!
    · Reply · Share
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 683 replies39 threads Member
    I got pregnant (and had to quit PT job due to hyperemesis) w/ my eldest 7 months into marriage so I was never able to establish any sort of career. The thought of trying to find something once my 12 yr old doesn't need me anymore (Sob!!!!) is terrifying!! I'm so excited for you and a wee bit jealous. Best of luck! :smiley:
    · Reply · Share
  • LTmomof2LTmomof2 156 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Good luck @momofsenior1! I am sure you will do great! I haven’t worked since S was born 16 years ago but like you, have been a constant volunteer. Volunteer skills are much like those needed in the workplace and I am sure this employer recognizes that. Go get em!!!

Like @conmama said, if it gets to be too much then just quit. Best of luck!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 77248 replies3436 threads Senior Member
    @momofsenior1

Go for it. If it doesn’t work out, you can always go back to your SAHM status. It sounds like you are excited about this opportunity. All the other moving parts will fall into place!
    · Reply · Share
  • homerdoghomerdog 6535 replies111 threads Senior Member
    @momofsenior1 I agree that it's scary. I left full time work when S19 was born over 18 years ago. I did a lot of volunteer stuff at school including being on the grade school and middle school PTO boards but my volunteering at high school has been less. I've been a private math tutor for six years but would like to work more once D21 graduates. It is scary! In my case, it's so hard to think about working for someone else anymore. I set my own hours and make between $60 and $100/hour and going back to a salary makes me crazy when I divide it up by the number of hours and see how much I'd make per hour. Plus, the vacation thing and less flexibility is a problem. Who will walk the dog? He's going to be alone all day if I work? I'd feel bad about that. That sounds like an excuse but I really do see it as a problem. And only two/three weeks vacation would be hard.

All of that being said, I feel like it's time to move on from the SAHM life so I get it and i'm happy for you! It feels good to get out and be around people and be productive. I hope it works out for you. I imagine any change will take some time to adjust to but go for it! I agree with the posters who say you should give it a shot and keep in mind that you could stop if it's not what you expect it to be.
    · Reply · Share
    I worry about the dog too @homerdog! This position's hours have a big break in the middle of the day so it's perfect to go home and take care of the woofie :)
    · Reply · Share
  • homerdoghomerdog 6535 replies111 threads Senior Member
    @momofsenior1 That's perfect!
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 20596 replies898 threads Senior Member
    @homerdog, if I could make $60-$100 part time I'd be quitting my full time job pronto! That's wonderful you have had the best of both worlds.

@momofsenior1 I think it's also important to know that you can work and still be "available" to your D or whoever else needs you. Just because you aren't available 24/7 doesn't mean you are not available. I feel like you said your D is a junior. If so, I'd say this is great timing. She will see her mom start something new just as she is making decisions on "something new" for herself.
    · Reply · Share
    I’m an empty nester! I just want the flexibility to be able to see D in her college shows, travel for her breaks, etc..

My biggest worry is for my parents. I travel to see them every other month and when emergencies arise.
    · Reply · Share
  • fendrockfendrock 2934 replies298 threads Senior Member
    I returned to work full-time just over 6 years ago after being at home for 10-ish years.

In my current job, they are very inflexible about taking time off, and three weeks a year is not much when you are accustomed to having the time you need to visit aging parents, take a real vacation, or pursue your own interests.

So you are right to be thinking about that aspect of taking a job.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3719 replies228 threads Senior Member
    edited February 27
    I started my string of part time jobs after my daughter started full day first grade (so I was a SAHM for about 6 years). I have had part-time jobs with various hours and flexibility - one was Monday through Friday for 5 hours a day, one was with a school - so I could only take off in the summer, my current one is only 6-10 hours a week and mostly work from home. I quit a few of these jobs when they were just too much because something was happening in my household that needed my full attention (family illness, house renovation, daughter's senior year in HS, etc.)

We are now empty nesters and my husband recently retired. Most of my friends have part-time jobs (some who were SAHM for over 20 years), doing a variety of office work- insurance paperwork at a doctor's office, receptionist at a brokerage house, assistant fora tax preparer, etc. All of us were always active as volunteers for our kid's stuff - library, scouts, PTO, church etc. They all agree that they needed something to keep them busy ("keep them out of trouble")

After leaving or getting laid off, I have been able to use connections to find my next part-time gig. Although the space between jobs has varied - from almost no time to almost a year.
    edited February 27
    · Reply · Share
  • NhatrangNhatrang 935 replies1 threads Member
    I’m an empty nester! I just want the flexibility to be able to see D in her college shows, travel for her breaks, etc..

My biggest worry is for my parents. I travel to see them every other month and when emergencies arise.

Do you mind sharing what kind of work you are looking for? It's hard to find companies that accommodate your travel requirements. BUT there are some companies that are very good with work-life balance. Good luck with your search!
    · Reply · Share
    @nhatrang - Ideally I was looking for short term contract work, in health care or research.

I live near a major university and they often are looking for short term projects, especially over the summer, which would actually be the best time for me. Nothing has turned up yet though and this other opportunity fell into my lap.

At this point I don't have anything to lose by continuing the conversation with the potential employer. It just took me by surprise as it's not a position I even applied for (long story).
    · Reply · Share