right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

2020 Gardening Thread

doschicosdoschicos 26821 replies269 threads Senior Member
Here's a new thread to share all things gardening in 2020.

Good stress reliever, good clean air, something you can do puttering around the house/yard.

Go at it, @katliamom!
286 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: 2020 Gardening Thread

• katliamomkatliamom 13972 replies170 threads Senior Member
    You're the best, doschicos. Let's make noise for a NON-CORONAVIRUS thread!

So the 2-month long pottery class I signed up for was cancelled. As soon as my refund came through, I went shopping for plants. It's way too early for gardening in Denver... but boy I just can't wait to start digging.

Here's what I bought:
    1 green giant thuja -- a tall evergreen. It will replace the dead arborvitae by my front porch that didn't make it through the winter.
    A mixed selection of rudbeckia and helenium -- bright yellows and reds and oranges -- to cover an area approx 3'x10' that will replace a lawn.
    A collection of gaillardia -- more yellows, reds and oranges
    A variegated weigela shrub... a bit unsure about this one, but it was on sale and I couldn't resist it.

The nursery will start shipping in early April. Which will guarantee weeks of snow and freezing rain, but such is life.

What are you planning to plant this spring/summer ???
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 26821 replies269 threads Senior Member
    I had to google each of those plants. I wasn't familiar with any of them but now I know rudbeckia are coneflowers which I do know.

Helenium are also called Sneezeweeds which sounds like something out of Harry Potter. :)
    · Reply · Share
    Names of flowers are weirdly hard for me to remember.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 1280 replies2 threads Senior Member
    I've got a small tree rose on order. Highly fragrant dark red blooms. It shall be a container rose because we have sandy acidic soil. If I planted it in the yard the poor thing would uproot itself and run off screaming.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 36051 replies396 threads Senior Member
    The only thing I successfully grew for awhile was sweet potato (which has delicious greens as well). Oh and Aloe and rosemary. Otherwise I’m good at neglecting plants. We also have a gorgeous amaryllis in our front yard that is VERY hardy!
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 2255 replies28 threads Senior Member
    I have started seeds in cells - Marigolds and Alyssum. I am so tired of paying the ever climbing price for annuals that I am trying this for the first time.

Tulips, Daffodils, Day Lillies, Crocus, and a few others are all starting to poke out of the soil. I love walking around the gardens each day to see the hopefulness of Spring! Lilacs have promising buds too!

I am thinking of ordering an Eden Rose Climber to replace a larger overgrown bush we took out in front of the chimney.

I have wintered a Gerber Daisy and a shade plant (whose name I can't remember) with a plant light and have a Mandavilla dormant in the basement. I have a bunch of Cannas tubers in boxes too but surprisingly some are coming back up either from seed or tubers I didn't fully lift. Maybe the mild winter?

Thank you doschios for starting this thread! The gardens are going to be my peace from what is happening around the globe right now.
    · Reply · Share
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 3972 replies38 threads Senior Member
    I just got some hot pepper seeds in the mail (Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Scorpion, and Ghost Pepper)--going to plant them and put them under grow lights today. I got a late start this year--I started a month earlier last year.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 9286 replies42 threads Senior Member
    I'm going to start some seeds for "toothache" plant today. D2's hubby has jaw pain and he loves chewing on the dried flower buds which are sometimes called Szechuan Buzz Buds.

I got one of those plants at the farmer's market last year and found out that you can chew the leaves too. But I planted it at the front of the house and every dog in the neighborhood lifts its leg on it! I might move it, but in the meantime I'm going to start some seeds. No farmer's market or plant sale exposure that way.

Acmella olerasea is the latin name.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 21531 replies920 threads Senior Member
    Ahh, a breath of fresh air! Still early here too for outside planting - but not too early for PLANNING.

That said, the garlic greens are shooting out at my raised bed. I vowed to grow one new thing this year and I think it is going to be sweet potatoes. I have grown white potatoes in a felt bag for the past few years so that's how I'll grow the sweet.

I have made a little effort since after the holidays to incorporate a few small live houseplants inside and it is VERY pleasant to have the greenery!

· Reply · Share
    edited March 14
    I have wintered a Gerber Daisy and a shade plant (whose name I can't remember) with a plant light and have a Mandavilla dormant in the basement.

Will you be planting the Daisy, or leaving it in a pot? Let us know how it, and your other wintered plants, do. I wintered some coleus -- like you, I don't like to spend money on annuals -- it's done great indoors in a sunny spot. I'm curious if it will be happy once I kick it outside. I think next winter I'll experiment more with bringing in the annuals.
    edited March 14
    · Reply · Share
  • kjofkwkjofkw 914 replies96 threads Senior Member
    I am SO JEALOUS. Everything I plant in my yard becomes deer delicacy. Hostas look like celery within a week. Even deer-resistant plants do not fare well. Forget anything edible by humans. They've even come onto my front porch for potted plants.
    I've tried everything: Horrible smelling scram (or other sprays), hot chili pepper spices, etc.

They even stand about 15' away from me and look at me like I'm crazy when I yell at them.

So I continue to plant and enjoy for a few days at least.

· Reply · Share
  • emilybeeemilybee 14770 replies41 threads Senior Member
    Way too early to do any planting where I live, but if we get some warm days I will get out in the beds and do some cleanup. I’ll even enjoy raking at this point.

It will also be awhile to see most what didn’t make it through the winter. I already know my variegated Willow is dead as it was on it’s last legs last summer.

@kjofkw, we are overflowing with deer where I am, but my backyard is fenced which helps.

I’ve had them on my deck, too. Chomped down all the flowers in pots and ate half a spider plant, so that it looked like it had a mullet! But, since big dog died (who was blind so didn’t see them) my King Charles protects the yard now and the deer who bed down in my neighbors backyard know it.

I have had very good luck with peonies. I have two big beds of them in areas not fenced and the deer don’t go anywhere near them. But, they need a lot of sun.

The deer don’t eat the cone flowers in one bed but the bunnies eat them in another one.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 1280 replies2 threads Senior Member
    @kjofkw We have so many deer here, too! And we have dogs now, which might take care of the deer, but I'm afraid our boy would mark anything I planted at regular ground level. Between that and our abysmal "soil" I'd need raised beds to try anything of a decent scale.

In past years I had a bunch of colorful annuals in large pots. Then I massed them in a semicircle in the dooryard off our porch. Seeing them always made me happy.

Hmm, maybe I could raise some vegetables in pots. @abasket you mentioned garlic greens . . . is that something different from regular garlic? Or are they the top half of regular bulb garlic? I'd be completely game growing garlic in containers, do you have an opinion of whether that would work?
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 2255 replies28 threads Senior Member
    I leave my Gerber Daisy in the pot. It will be four years old this summer! I winter it under a plant light which I keep on just a few hours a day.

For the people with deer (I have too many), there are many plants that are deer resistant. I also have good luck with a product called "Liquid Fence" and another one where you place these canisters in your garden (not the ones with moth balls). They are worth it for me because not only do I also want the deer away because of their ticks.
    · Reply · Share
    Gerbera daisies are survivors! I've never planted one at this house, and I've lived here 6 years now and they just keep going. The first one was growing from a crack in the sidewalk and its children and grandchildren migrated to "dirtier" spots. I have to cut them back occasionally and that's about it.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 41472 replies480 threads Senior Member
    Aaack!! I need to get raised beds going.

Heading out to buy a plum tree and a forsythia bush (symbolic).
    · Reply · Share
    @HouseChatte I grow garlic ever;y year. The "green" I'm talking about is the green stems/stalks that start growing out of the cloves of garlic I planted in the fall (I'm in the midwest). The greens eventually turn into garlic scapes - a very tall, curling green that is thicker and a little more tough than green onion greens - but very garlicky and tasty!

I'll cut the scapes in probably early June and then the garlic bulbs get picked a week or so after the 4th!

Speaking of sweet potato, I planted "sweet potato vine" in some of my pots and window boxes last year. It grows so well and wild I would have to trim it from time to time. I brought some in and threw it in a tall mason jar with water - then put the mason jar in a large pretty pitcher I have. That vine is STILL green and growing months later! It rooted so quick in the water - I just refill the water to near the top each week and it is continues to grow and cascade in the pitcher!
    · Reply · Share
    It's hot here today and there's so much pollen from oak trees that I can't open any windows. It's depressing because it feels like poison is falling from the sky and you know what that is reminding me of.

I cheered myself up by transplanting some basil. I had kept a few cuttings from take out pho about a month ago, put them in a glass of water and they grew roots. Finally put them in little pots of soil today. Free Thai basil soon!

OK don't hate me but - I planted a tomato today too. I had one that overwintered, somehow miraculously, and I'm ashamed to say that there were 5 or 6 little half dead tomatoes still attached (variety Gold Nugget). I pulled it up, added compost, and planted a new tomato plant in its giant pot. While I was going back and forth, those 5-6 half dead tomatoes disappeared and my dog was licking his chops!
    · Reply · Share
    I have also had luck rooting basil. I still have a shoot by my kitchen window in a glass of water. It doesn't give me big yields but I have a few leaves that I can pick to finish off a dish or whatever.

· Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 41472 replies480 threads Senior Member
    Too early to even start tomatoes indoors here! Will do so in a week or so. I have a very large "skywall" window in the kitchen where I can start stuff.

We went and bought a couple of fruit trees from a local nursery. They were $15 cheaper than at HD! And better looking, too. Today is a planting day! Cooler but sunny, and it smells like spring! :)
    · Reply · Share