right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

COVID-19 hitting too close to home?

jym626jym626 57413 replies3010 threads Senior Member
edited March 25 in Parent Cafe
I thought I read in one of the COVID-19 threads that someone, or someone’s family member was dealing directly with COVID-19, but I can’t find it. While so far COVID-19 has not hit an immediate family member that I know of, I know of at least 2 friends already who have lost family members to the disease, one whose brother-in-law is extremely critical, and several others who have family members currently dealing with the virus. I know I am not alone.

As rampant as it is, it is touching the cc community. I hope this thread is seen in the light in which it is intended- to be here for each other for support, and to share knowledge, experience (good and not-so-good, just like college applications/acceptances). If this thread should be merged with another, thats fine. @VeryHappy started a thread of appreciation of our cyber friends. Thought this might be an additional place to share information, experiences and support for firsthand experience with the virus.

One friend from college lost their spouse to the illness. Because of the shelter in place, they cannot have a traditional funeral and gathering, so are trying to have a cyber memorial, with a formal one down the road, when they are allowed to gather. How awful not to be able to grieve with family directly.
edited March 25
416 replies
Post edited by CCadmin_Jon on
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: COVID-19 hitting too close to home?

• travelnuttravelnut 2045 replies15 threads Senior Member
    Sorry for all of those circumstances, @jym626 . The pace is stunning and fear the scope will be as well. All my best to those who are facing this illness and their loved ones and friends.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 57413 replies3010 threads Senior Member
    edited March 24
    Thats a great suggestion, @abasket - if the admins would possibly make a “current events” forum, where things going on in the world (as there will surely be other things to come) and could move these discussions there, it would maybe not have it so “in our faces” in out cc as well as daily lives. That said, I do think we will be needing ti be here for more direct help and support as this thing continues to infiltrate our lives.
    edited March 24
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 21058 replies909 threads Senior Member
    Yes, don't want to take away from your intent of this thread @jym626 - but I agree we need the opportunity to talk about it - and also, for mental health sake, a break from it as well. I did post on the community forum page suggesting it - will see if that gets any attention.

Carry on!
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks, @abasket. Lets hope they consider consolidating these. I agree that its too omnipresent, but I also think , planning ahead a bit, that it would be helpful to have a place to “gather” without having to wade through all those other threads. I hope the poster (who knows, maybe there was ore than one) who mentioned they or a family member had it, might find this thread, and some support/solace/venting/sharing opportunity here.
    · Reply · Share
  • calmomcalmom 20868 replies168 threads Senior Member
    I think this topic warrants its own thread. For those who are directly dealing with this within their own extended families or social groupings. I agree that it would make sense for Covid-19 threads to be grouped together within their own sub-topic.

We've got a thread with more than 10,000 posts -- it is impossible to keep up with that!
    · Reply · Share
  • anxiousmomanxiousmom 5860 replies105 threads Senior Member
    We’ve got close family friends where both wife and husband are ill with Covid. It seems like the recovery is long and slow.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 35863 replies396 threads Senior Member
    My D says at least two of her friends in NYC had COVID19. Not positive if they were tested and included in the statistics. They were being 30 year olds, going to crowded parties and bars. Fortunately both have recovered and neither needed hospitalization.

Her friend in LA believes she had it as well. Don’t know if she was tested either. She was wheezing (though not asthmatic). She also recovered without complications.

Fortunately, D hasn’t seen any of these friends since December or later. In HI, I don’t personally know anyone who has COVID-19, though I think they were doing a lot of the bedside CTs of dad to be sure he didn’t have COVID-19 when he was hospitalized with pneumonia.
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4926 replies347 threads Senior Member
    edited March 25
    I’m so sorry @jym626. This disease seems likes it’s painful to get through even if one recovers. I don’t anyone yet who has been effected. I’m very scared for one of my best friends who has stage 4 lung cancer, as her husband won’t quarantine the way he should. She is living apart from him in the house, but they share a the kitchen.
    edited March 25
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 9851 replies110 threads Senior Member
    A HS friend and his entire family had it but are recovering. They did not require hospitalization.
    · Reply · Share
    edited March 25
    Today is the birthday of The friend’s relative who is on day 11 of being in ICU . He has had complications (internal bleeding from the machine that is trying to oxygenate his blood, reaction to the antiviral, etc) and was able to be put on the list to get one of the experimental drugs. Good thing they got his name on the list yesterday, as it’s now on back order. Hope he is able to get it. Stay tuned.
    edited March 25
    · Reply · Share
    @HImom, @momofsenior1 - so glad they seem to be ok. @scout59 thats terrible!
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35365 replies399 threads Senior Member
    The other day, I was on a thread that had a link that took you to other corona threads. A system link, not from a poster. Haven't seen it since.

Personally, I think we have to decide what primary purpose we want from all these threads. Do we want a thread for every angle of this topic? In my reality, I only trust sources *I* trust and recognize how many conflicting pro opinions or pronouncements are out there. Even a friend of mine who's an MD and public health authority has said some wacky things.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35365 replies399 threads Senior Member

I can see the link box in the Recent Activity list. Look at that at the bottom of this page. Scroll down all the way.
    That link takes you to a sort of master list. It says Covid-19.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 6650 replies153 threads Senior Member
    edited March 25
    It’s so sad. All of it. Maybe a thread like caring for parents. That would allow for anyone to post about a health situation or story. Not just covid 19. Thousands of us dealing with loss and grief related to illness of many sorts. well beyond these tragic covid stories. It might be a nice place to let it out or share an insight.

Just a thought. I can’t imagine being sick right or now or with a loved one in the hospital with something serious beside covid. Ie chemo or even the flu. They may feel exposed and forgotten and their numbers maybe be many times more.
    edited March 25
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3272 replies75 threads Senior Member
    DH got an email that a coworker tested positive. They didn't identify the person by name, but everyone knew who it was based on the "last date of contact". This person was the first (and, at the time, only one) to start "working from home" (she is immune-compromised and was scared). DH & co. were notified on the 13th day AFTER last contact. Not very helpful, but probably not uncommon either. Fortunately, neither DH nor any of his other coworkers (or their immediate families) have shown any symptoms (our state is "sheltering in place", but he meets with coworkers by phone and online each day). In a way, it would be nice to believe they were all asymptomatic. However, given the odds & the timing, they feel it is more likely their coworker became infected after she left the office.

I had to make a grocery run this morning. The store was quieter than it had been in two weeks. They had pretty much everything except hand sanitizer. They had restocked their TP, but they were again down to their last four or five packages (so I grabbed one). All employees wore gloves, but no masks. They had tape on the floor to guide correct "social distancing". They let me use my own bags.
    · Reply · Share