right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Women...beauty maintenance in this time of sheltering at home

collage1collage1 2022 replies75 threads Senior Member
edited April 2 in Parent Cafe
So...I'm going to need to get a root touch up product. I'm reading good things about Madison Reed but am wondering how I'd even know how to select a color. I've yet to be on the site so there's probably advice there but I'm interested in hearing from those who have experience with touching up their roots at home. Any products that are particularly good? And any tips for someone who's never done it before?

And, as long as I'm asking, any other maintenance tips or beauty regimens you're adopting during isolation? I noticed someone mentioned they were getting their feet ready for sandals using stridex pads--who knew?

I cleaned out my bathroom cabinets and found some crest white strips. Now seems like a good time to spend time on things I've neglected thus far.

Would love to hear any tips for hair or anything else people are trying during these long days at home.
edited April 2
509 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Women...beauty maintenance in this time of sheltering at home

• MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 23710 replies204 threads Senior Member
    I think Madison Reed has several options for helping you select the color. I haven’t used it, but know people who have and are very pleased. I’m trying to hold out for my salon the reopen since they have pretty much begged people to wait and give them the business. Definitely grey roots, but no one is seeing me much expect on the video meetings.

I peeled off my dip nail polish, which is a big no-no and isn’t good for your nails, but it’s off and I’ve put some treatment clear coat on, so they don’t look too bad.

Using good moisturizer and sunblock if I go outside. Haven’t used much makeup at all except one day when I had 3 video calls and a happy hour so put on some lipstick and blush.

It’s just really different times. I’ve barely put on jewelry- what’s the point?
    · Reply · Share
  • stradmomstradmom 5197 replies51 threads Senior Member
    Not getting my hair cut before going into lockdown has been a real issue for me. I'm trying to train my untrainable bangs into side bangs and remembering the Italian mayor's comment to the woman who wanted a hairdresser to visit: "it's going to be a closed coffin anyway." #firstworldproblems, with apologies to all those out there in the medical field and essential businesses
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13684 replies113 threads Senior Member
    Where does one go to get an ear re-pierced? One of my holes has closed -- I had them done when I was 14 and the last time I wore earrings was Valentine's Day, so it was a real surprise to find out one of my ears ahd closed over.

I am too chicken to punch through the back of the hole, but the piercing stalls at the mall give me the creeps (besides, they are all closed or out of business). Not going to do this til after COVID, but just curious.

· Reply · Share
  • my2sonsfromcamy2sonsfromca 136 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I agree, you just have to push through. I’ve had to make a point of wearing earrings during the stay at home order because I know mine will start to close too.
    · Reply · Share
  • dragonmomdragonmom 6066 replies155 threads Senior Member
    Found a root touch-up kit under the sink and it isn’t expired, so I’m holding that in reserve. Maybe another three or four weeks I’ll break it out. Not many folks seeing me day to day who don’t know that I’m not really blond any more!
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 9386 replies83 threads Senior Member
    I've switched from low-makeup to often no-makeup. (I do work calls, but usually we turn off video). I don't color my hair, and I can let the perm grow out. But I will soon need to decide whether to chop at my bangs or try to grow them out.

Maybe some gutsy celebrity will grow out her hair, make dark (or grey) roots a fashion statement. Or at least make head scarfs fashionable.
    · Reply · Share
  • MarilynMarilyn 4174 replies140 threads Senior Member
    I just ordered Madison Reed for a first try and they have a quiz to help you figure out which color is best. You can even take a virtual look at how the color works either via a photo or live camera. For fun, I just went back on and tried out being a redhead and blond. Think I’ll stick with brunette... Also, I believe if you know the salon’s formula they can advise you which Madison Reed shade is the best match.

Madison Reed also has a roots only product but it’s designed to be used every two weeks. I’m more every two months, if that. And most colors are sold out.
    · Reply · Share
  • Leigh22Leigh22 950 replies9 threads Member
    When I ordered my pet supplies from Target for curbside pick-up I added in a box of hair dye.
    · Reply · Share
  • dragonmomdragonmom 6066 replies155 threads Senior Member
    I think we can start to use this as an “ are you really distancing “ question with lawmakers. Does your lawmaker look perfectly groomed ( been touching up there in the barbers office under the Capitol) or are they really hunkering down and distancing?
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 40874 replies475 threads Senior Member
    I just trimmed my bangs (like I usually do). Every morning and evening, I apply my Chanel moisturizer right after washing - to my face and neck (keep the moisture in). I don’t wear makeup unless I am going to a special occasion gathering, so... no makeup for at the very least a month for me. :)

BTW, check out Neiman Marcus. Apparently, there is a sale on beauty products going on.
    · Reply · Share
  • lilmomlilmom 3555 replies96 threads Senior Member
    My hairdresser is a friend. Well, at least I thought she was. I texted her that there was no way I’d be able to wait until my post lockdown appointment. I asked her if she had any suggestions hoping she’d have some product recommendations. Crickets. 🙄
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 9829 replies110 threads Senior Member
    My hair is already a hot mess. My hair appointment was supposed to be next week. I just ordered two boxes of root touch up from amazon. It was supposed to arrive today. It didn’t.

My brows need to be done too but I’m plucking away.

That’s about all I have done by someone else.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 1260 replies2 threads Senior Member
    I don't color my hair and was already starting to grow it out. Stay home order/advisory is keeping me on track for that. Our state was just starting to use the term social distancing when I stopped by the beauty shop to pick up some shampoo. Hairdresser and I waved across the room at each other, then she had me pick the bottle I wanted. Did some sort of no contact credit card entry. Then the signature line shows up on the screen of her phone. We looked at each other, I nodded, and she scrawled my signature for me.
    · Reply · Share
  • CottonTalesCottonTales 1484 replies22 threads Senior Member
    I'm lucky as I don't have to color my hair, I was a strawberry blonde and it morphed into just blond. My trouble now is I ran out of my usual eye and face creams and have been using a jar of ponds moisturizer that I forgot I even had and is not working. My face is now dry, under eyes are crepey and I feel like I have aged 5 years in the last month. I drink plenty of water so I'm not dehydrated. Does anybody have any at home recommendations to help my dry face? I can't afford to order my usual face cream as my income has dropped 75%.
    · Reply · Share
  • snowballsnowball 3000 replies253 threads Senior Member
    My salon has been closed for 2 weeks and is trying hard to please clients. They have been offering 20% off products which you order and pay for by phone; on your scheduled pick up date, it is left on the porch in a bag for you.

Received a somewhat cryptic email that sounds like they may be trying to prepare your color for pick up also. While I have never attempted to apply color, if they provide the tools and instructions, I will give it a try. If it helps the shop to stay in business, and my grey roots are gone, I am game! Otherwise, I will stick with my roots for awhile since I can’t leave the house anyway.

I was afraid to try and remove my SNS polish myself, so just filed them shorter and will let the polish grow out. My fingers look stubby with 3/4 polish, but again, I’m not going anywhere!
    · Reply · Share
  • maya54maya54 2625 replies100 threads Senior Member
    I went gray in my 20’s and have been coloring my hair for 35 years! I need to do it every 2 weeks because I’m 100 percent gray and my hair grows quickly. I’ve been using a spray on temporary root cover up but bought Madison Reed and plan to do the roots in another week.
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3259 replies74 threads Senior Member
    I thought I'd set an appointment for mid to late May to maybe beat the rush when stay-at-home orders are lifted. Of course the salon was closed, as I expected, but unfortunately they didn't have an email address listed as I was hoping.

The men's hair place is open, though (the sports themed one). WTH???
    · Reply · Share