right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Where do you see the future labor force working?

lia_blia_b 315 replies74 threads Member
I am just wondering what kind of jobs, other than healthcare related, will survive this pandemic. My daughter, a production assistant, lost all her contract work. She found a part-time job baking at her local market but working only 15 hours a week. Her boyfriend an opthomology apprentice is furloughed but wondering if he will be able to go back when they reopen. My other daughter is working at home at half pay. Another relative, a law clerk, also furloughed, is doing door-dash to pay bills. My cousin a director of HR, unemployed at 57 and so on... Some jobs will come back but many, especially for those who worked for a small business or hospitality, might not come back and their original path probably forever eliminated.

So just wondering where do you see future workforce going, especially for the younger generation that is just starting out. Will any new opportunities be created? Any new skills they should be developing during this down time?
39 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Where do you see the future labor force working?

• milee30milee30 2875 replies17 threads Senior Member
    For the youngest people just starting out, being flexible might be the greatest key to being employed for the next year or two. Right now, there are places hiring - delivery services, Walmart, grocery stores, meal kit services - because they have increased demand during this time. When the stay at home orders are lifted, that will shift and other industries will slowly start to hire.

If it's about eating and not a career, being flexible is the thing.
    · Reply · Share
  • JustaMomJustaMom 2880 replies102 threads Senior Member
    In the future I expect the hospitality industry to bounce back in a serious way. I have nothing to back that up with, simply a feeling I have.
    · Reply · Share
  • milee30milee30 2875 replies17 threads Senior Member
    Around here hospitality will (eventually) bounce back, but with a lot of new businesses because it's looking like a good chunk of our existing restaurants and bars will not survive long enough to re-open. Hopefully that doesn't mean chains will replace our great local spots, but time will tell.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 9820 replies110 threads Senior Member
    IT, engineering, health care, business, freight and logistics, home maintenance/repair jobs are not going away. There are lots of recession resistant industries.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 35828 replies396 threads Senior Member
    S works for Dept of Defense as EE. I think his job will be there. D helps folks making movies—people like/need entertainment. Not sure what would replace humans doing entertainment/movies/content.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJresNJres 6100 replies189 threads Senior Member
    Clearly many family businesses, like restaurants, will not survive. But the people running those businesses - if they are true restaurant people - will find a way to open another restaurant. This will be a major challenge for them, for banks, and yes, for government, to make financing available to people who went bankrupt during the pandemic.

As for jobs that will not come back, it seems to me that the pandemic has accelerated the move from retail to online shopping. Many stores had already gone out of business due to Amazon and other online retailers, while many others have split their business between retail outlets and websites. Now many of those have closed their retail stores and gone to 100% online sales. I think many of the retail brick and mortar stores will not reopen.
    · Reply · Share
  • lia_blia_b 315 replies74 threads Member
    It seems many of the current recession proof jobs are physical or very specific skills type of jobs (electricians, plumbers, teachers). I agree probably a lot of local small businesses will not return. Where I live, a lot of stay at home mom's rely on these local or retail jobs to work part-time while the kids are in school. Only some restaurants by me are thriving - pizza/deli but not much else. My favorite chinese restaurant is closed. No bakeries. Not many other choices. I guess take out is not as profitable to stay open. Liquor stores are doing very well.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1NJParent1NJParent 2224 replies37 threads Senior Member
    There's one simple answer (even though it may be a little too simplistic). Nearly all the businesses that are considered "essential" in the current crisis, plus all the businesses that can be carried on remotely are going to be around regardless what happens in the future.
    · Reply · Share
  • NhatrangNhatrang 1167 replies1 threads Senior Member
    I don't expect anything to go away - a year from now when we have the vaccines, the economy will be back to normal. Sure some extra precautions and we as a country will be much more prepared for the next pandemic. And some jobs will be in extra demand in the short term. But when the economy goes back to normal, why would any job going away? When the economy thrives, everyone benefits.

I also realize we could be in for a very long recession, then I suppose one can look back and previous recession and see the data.

The point is, a year from now, life will be back to the ups and downs as we always have for the last....30-40 years (not counting the big war times).
    · Reply · Share
  • TS0104TS0104 1367 replies31 threads Senior Member
    Production as in film/TV production? I would imagine that that will take off at a bang when people are allowed to be together. If this goes on long enough, we will run out of content (!!!!) and in the meantime have created a huge appetite for it! Same with the opthomologist...they will have lots of catching up to do.

I agree that many small businesses will close during the short term and likely not reopen, and yes, this is another nail in the in-store retail coffin. Other than that, businesses that depend on discretionary spending or luxury goods are probably in for lean times.

As for new opportunities, what is coming to mind are delivery drivers which isn't necessarily a career path. Possibly something in the line of supporting online schooling and working from home...I wonder if, since we are all learning to do it, if it will become more common in the future (more work from home. Schooling might just remain a contingency plan. Or will schools use online on snow days?) Telemedicine. Any apps that allow people to do from home what they used to have to do in person. I think as we are all getting used to that, we might start to like it.
    · Reply · Share
  • lia_blia_b 315 replies74 threads Member
    TS0104 - yes TV/film production. She had three projects coming up in the spring and all canceled. I hope you are right. Otherwise, the kids will be coming back home.

I just learned my brother and sister in law's salaries were cut in order for their companies not to lay people off. They are happy to still be employed but with two teen kids to feed and mortgage to pay, it will be tight and set them back some.
    · Reply · Share
  • gouf78gouf78 7812 replies23 threads Senior Member
    I think a lot of employees that have started working from home will remain there. After the initial hurdle of the business setting up employees with work stations and employees learning how to manage work from home I don't see it going away. By the time this ends it'll be apparent who needs to come in (or come in on a part time basis) and who can successfully do their part from home. The savings in commuting costs in time and money, the less need for huge office space are very attractive.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 77989 replies3491 threads Senior Member
    DH and I both predict a growth in the carryout restaurant business. Many of these businesses have found carry out to be their lifeline now...and we think this will continue in addition to their in restaurant businesses.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 82724 replies738 threads Senior Member
    Big businesses in retail and big chain restaurants are more likely to survive than small local businesses.

· Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 9013 replies222 threads Senior Member
    @ucbalumnus I am afraid you are right. Further reducing diversity. We will be all run over by soul-less big chains.
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 2527 replies21 threads Senior Member
    Saw an interesting interview on CNBC this morning with a Bay Area VC woman (forget her name but a fairly regular contributor). They asked her a similar question about companies, jobs, etc being permanently effected. I agree with her answer as it makes sense. She essentially said jobs, companies, industries that were already being disrupted (i.e.retail) will experience acceleration to the disruption. (people will get used to shopping online and continue after covid 19 as that will be the new habit). But as far as other things, she assumes a return to normal, perhaps with additional tech resources for efficiency. She specifically said we will go back to hugging and teaching in school settings and meeting up with friends at bars because we're humans.

No one knows for sure, but that makes sense to me.
    · Reply · Share