right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

A place for folks having stimulus check issues to vent and compare notes

garlandgarland 16517 replies206 threads Senior Member
So, what the title says. We qualify by income, we filed in 2018 though not yet this year, and we didn't get a refund, but we owed, and provided bank information for debiting.

No money has appeared, and the portal to inquire tells me it doesn't have enough information to know what's up and wont' go any further (no questions about tax forms like some people are getting. )

I figured maybe those in stimulus limbo could compare notes and attempt to read tea leaves.
441 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: A place for folks having stimulus check issues to vent and compare notes

• MabelsmomMabelsmom 40 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited April 15
    Deceased FIL ( 6/19) received a stimulus $1200 direct deposit in checking account used to file / pay 2018 taxes.
    edited April 15
    · Reply · Share
  • garlandgarland 16517 replies206 threads Senior Member
    Thanks. I'm more looking for common threads with those who didn't get it, but that's interesting that FIL did. Sorry for your loss.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 78320 replies3529 threads Senior Member
    I got nothing but I don’t think we are entitled to anything.

Neither of our kids has received their check...and both could use it. Hoping theirs arrives soon.
    · Reply · Share
  • LeastComplicatedLeastComplicated 1096 replies40 threads Senior Member
    Got ours this morning. I submitted 2019 taxes a couple of weeks ago. We received small refunds for the past two years.
    · Reply · Share
  • my3girlsmy3girls 381 replies6 threads Member
    Same situation as you, Garland, and running into exactly the same issues. I'm wondering if those who had a refund are in the first wave and those of us who paid will be next. Hoping anyway. And maybe we are just randomly having bad luck to get the problem screen on the IRS tool?
    · Reply · Share
  • garlandgarland 16517 replies206 threads Senior Member
    That might be, m3girls. I've been hearing that anecdotally, which is why I'm hoping to get a bigger sample here.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mom2jlMom2jl 703 replies6 threads Member
    @garland I am also in the same situation. I filed for 2018 and for 2019 (just last week) and owed taxes both years, paid by direct deposit, so I know they have my bank information. All I get on the IRS site is "Payment Status not Available."
    · Reply · Share
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 719 replies41 threads Member
    S19 is TICKED we filed w/ him as a dependent. He asked "do you have any idea how many sets from Juniper Books I could've gotten w/ $1200?"
    Oh well, he'll survive.

We didn't get the full $1700, $1200 + $500 for Little S. But we got nearly that. Came yesterday. I have no idea how they are rolling out! We filed super early and our last name is very early in the alphabet. My sisters, whose names are much later in the alphabet, haven't gotten anything yet. My younger sister could really use it too.
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 3254 replies45 threads Senior Member
    We filed 2019 taxes. We have never received a refund. Always owe.

This morning went on irs.gov, and signed in with my SS number. They said I get a check but they don’t have enough info. Wanted me to input my income before allowing me to just give my bank routing number. But we file jointly, so how do I do that?

When in under my husband’s SS number and same thing.

I’m not taking the chance of entering information that would disqualify us, but it’s very frustrating that there is no option for entering info for a joint tax return.

We’re resigned to waiting.
    · Reply · Share
  • deb922deb922 6407 replies202 threads Senior Member
    @FlyMeToTheMoon, you input the first SS# on your return. Then enter AGI that is on the tax return. That’s what I did, I had the copy of my tax return and then entered my bank information.

There’s something that says if you filed in 2019 and owed money, you will have to input your bank information even if you paid by direct debit.

@garland, I would try again at a time where the website might not be so busy. Like midnight or 6 am. I find that I can get through when I try very early in the morning.
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13736 replies113 threads Senior Member
    Younger S got his $1200 yesterday -- he's at the end of the alphabet, got a refund in 2018, has not filed 2019, had deposit info on record. He gets a foreign income exclusion because he was living overseas most of the year, so we weren't sure how things would shake out, but I guess he had enough US income.
    · Reply · Share
  • maya54maya54 2676 replies100 threads Senior Member
    We are hearing Anecdotally from our clients ( mostly regarding their employees) that the only people who got checks so far filed in 2019 AND got a refund.
    · Reply · Share
  • sryrstresssryrstress 2660 replies9 threads Senior Member
    We and 2 kids received deposits this morning and none of us has yet filed for 2019. Mid to late range of alphabet. All were direct deposit refunds for 2018.

I have looked, a lot, for IRS info on order this would be rolled out, other than them having direct deposit. I haven't been able to find anything, and have also seen nothing regarding this on CPA forums. I think they could've alleviated much anxiety and stress by providing this info.

If you file jointly and are ever checking anything like this or "Where's my refund", it goes by the primary taxpayer's SSN. This is the first taxpayer listed on the return. Questions on income amount typically refer to the Adjusted Gross Income.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 24832 replies20 threads Senior Member
    maya54 wrote: »
    We are hearing Anecdotally from our clients ( mostly regarding their employees) that the only people who got checks so far filed in 2019 AND got a refund.

My mom hasn't filed in 2019 (and won't get a refund) and she got a deposit today. In fact she got $2400 because she joint filed with my father in 2018, but he died in 2018. My daughters both got deposits today, one independent for 2 years, one just filed as independent in 2019.

· Reply · Share
    @twoinanddone Does you mom receive social security?
    · Reply · Share
  • snowballsnowball 3069 replies257 threads Senior Member
    Like @garland We have not filed for 2019, although the information is all in to the accountant. We owed for 2018 and will again for 2019; IRS has our banking info as it is on our returns. Received the Payment Status Not Available on the site.

I looked under the FAQ and saw this: If you verified your identity and received “Payment Status Not Available,” this means we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time. This may occur for a variety of reasons, for example, if you didn’t file either a 2018 or 2019 tax return or you recently filed and the return has not been fully processed.

Of course this doesn't tell me if there is a problem, or maybe just haven't gotten to us yet. I also checked my for my daughter, who also filed in 2018, but not yet in 2019. I know hers might be odd as she files in the UK and here, so not sure how her income is figured out!
    · Reply · Share
  • itsgettingreal21itsgettingreal21 330 replies5 threads Member
    My sister filed back in January and received her check yesterday. We don’t qualify.
    · Reply · Share
    edited April 15
    From a memo issued by the House Ways and Means Committee
    “The IRS will make about 60 million payments to Americans through direct deposit in mid-April (likely, the week of April 13th). The IRS has direct deposit information for these individuals from their 2018 or 2019 tax returns. This will include SSA beneficiaries who filed federal tax returns that included direct deposit information.
    Shortly (hopefully within 10 days) after the first round of payments are made in mid-April, the IRS plans to make a second run of payments. These payments will be made to SS beneficiaries who did not file tax returns in 2018 or 2019 and receive their Social Security benefits via direct deposit. (The estimates are that nearly 99 percent of SS beneficiaries who do not file a return receive their SS benefits through direct deposit.)”
    About 3 weeks after the first round of payments are made (the week of May 4th), the IRS will begin issuing paper checks to individuals.
    The paper checks will be issued at a rate of about 5 million per week, which could take up to 20 weeks to get all the checks out.
    The checks will be issued in reverse “adjusted gross income” order—starting with people with the lowest income first.”
    edited April 15
    · Reply · Share
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay 19575 replies465 threads Senior Member
    Ds1 got $1,200 yesterday, ds2 didn't. Same last name, same household.

We haven't gotten money either.
    · Reply · Share