right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Bought instant pot- now need newbie recipes, please!

OnwardOnward 2970 replies82 threads Senior Member
I think the title says it all. Post one or two of your favorite recipes. It doesn't have to be elaborate or a meal. I need to get started! I'm heading to the grocery store tomorrow so I would like to try something this week.
Thanks to everyone's help in purchasing one. I did buy the Best Buy one.
20 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Bought instant pot- now need newbie recipes, please!

• PublisherPublisher 11376 replies152 threads Senior Member
    edited May 26
    Nevermind, I misunderstand the thread title.
    edited May 26
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 21316 replies914 threads Senior Member
  • Singersmom07Singersmom07 4379 replies82 threads Senior Member
    Easiest one yet. Frozen (or thawed if you had time) chicken breasts with a jar of salsa. A little extra seasoning if you wish. https://www.sparklestosprinkles.com/instant-pot-salsa-chicken/ Shred and use for anything. You can use the same process with bbq sauce instead of salsa or even spaghetti sauce.

Also easy spaghetti and meatballs. Again can start with frozen meatballs. https://iwashyoudry.com/instant-pot-spaghetti-and-meatballs/

A lot of good ideas on Facebook group “Dump and Push Start” easy instapot recipes.
    · Reply · Share
  • shellfellshellfell 3800 replies12 threads Senior Member
    The recipe we've used the most is the salsa chicken that @Singersmom07 linked. Quick and easy.
    · Reply · Share
  • OnwardOnward 2970 replies82 threads Senior Member
    Found a recipe posted on another thread by @Singersmom07 . That turned out great! And super easy for a first experience.
    · Reply · Share
    @Onward glad you had success and enjoyed it. I am way into easy😀
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 4114 replies15 threads Senior Member
    This "recipe" is easy.

Cooking a batch of farro.

Dump 2 bags of Trader Joe's 10 minute Farro in the IP.

Add one 32 ounce carton Chicken Stock.

Close it up and hit the RICE button.

You can take it out right away or let it sit. With time, the farro will absorb all the chicken stock.

I cook one batch every week and use it as a base for meals.

Here is a link to the Trader Joe's brand farro (but at Amazon, and for a lot more money).

https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Minute-Farro-Pack/dp/B00JEXG01W

· Reply · Share
  • gosmomgosmom 2040 replies58 threads Senior Member
    @Onward this was one of my first attempts...and it's become a regular in the rotation.
    It does make a LOT of sauce, but it's delicious. The pork tenderloin comes out so moist and tender.....

https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/instant-pot-balsamic-pork-tenderloin/

and this is also a fave with two of my faves--asparagus & lemon

https://www.theperfectpantry.com/2014/06/asparagus-and-lemon-risotto-pressure-cooker-or-stovetop-vegetarian-gluten-free.html

enjoy!
    · Reply · Share
  • CottonTalesCottonTales 1501 replies22 threads Senior Member
    @Singersmom07, loved the chicken and salsa recipe that I made tonight. However, I followed the rice recipe for the lime/cilantro rice, and it wasn't fluffy. It came out more like a sticky rice you would use for sushi. Any tips anybody has for making less sticky, fluffier rice would be appreciated. BTW, I did use long grain white rice and actually made 2 batches and they both came out the same.
    · Reply · Share
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom 10985 replies235 threads Senior Member
    @CottonTales

Did you rinse your rice before adding it to the pot?

Rinsing off the excess surface starch will make the rice less sticky/pasty. Place rice in a bowl or large cup and cover with water, rub the rice between your fingers. The water will turn cloudy. That's the excess starch. Pour off the cloudy water and rinse another 1-3 times or until the water stays fairly clear when you rub the rice.

If that doesn't solve your problem, try reducing the amount of water used in the recipe slightly.
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 28
    @gosmom - That asparagus recipe looks wonderful. My asparagus patch is going crazy now so I think I will try that this weekend! Do you think it has to be Arborio rice?
    edited May 28
    · Reply · Share
    @onward....for risotto...I've only ever used arborio.
    However, I did read recently that pearled farro works well and is a bit creamier, fwiw.
    Good Luck...I love using IP for risotto. So much easier and time efficient than on the stove...
    · Reply · Share
    I also love the IP for potato salad. Peel & cube potatoes, nestle eggs on top, add cup of water and high pressure for 4 minutes. Whip up dressing while cooking. When done, quick release, take steamer basket out and put eggs in cold water. When potatoes are cool, mix everything up. Saves so much time!
    · Reply · Share
    Agree @gosmom. Potato salad is so easy now. I’m making some this weekend. And I never do pasta on the stove anymore. Perfect pasta every time https://tidbits-marci.com/perfect-pressure-cooker-pasta/
    · Reply · Share
  • CounselmomCounselmom 38 replies2 threads Junior Member
    We love rice (esp. brown) and hard boiled eggs in the IP. It is also a quick way to cook a whole chicken.
    · Reply · Share
    @gosmom - I found the arborio rice! I was really surprised to find it in our little town. The risotto turned out great! I am beginning to feel so much more confident with this pot every time I use it. Thanks so much (and my husband thanks you too)!

· Reply · Share
  • promom4promom4 107 replies2 threads Junior Member
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/instant-pot-pork-carnitas

I just 'inherited' an 8qt instapot. My mom gave it to D for her apartment and (1) I love it and (2) 8 qt is too big for me, let alone a college student! We bought D a 3 qt.

I made this with a frozen chunk of pork shoulder. It took about an hour to cook from frozen solid. Crisping it up makes a world of difference, I used a cast iron griddle! I also heated the tortillas on the cast iron.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 1
    @Onward it took me quite awhile to feel confident/comfortable with my IP. If you have time, there are a number of YouTube videos that guide step by step. This helped me quite a bit in the beginning....
    edited June 1
    · Reply · Share
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us 1605 replies46 threads Senior Member
    I used my instant pot for the first time today. had no idea what I was doing - and kept googling things. Like the recipe said "turn the pressure to high" -- well I had nothing to turn it to high; and found out that it's automatically high.

I have it mostly figured out - and made . . . . Beans! they are delicious and I'm so excited. beans, onions, cilantro, spices and water. I can't wait to try these recipes. Yay!
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 36019 replies396 threads Senior Member
    edited June 26
    Well, we have been using a instant pot a fair amount during our sheltering ay home. H and D have mostly been making tea eggs and various hard boiled eggs. We’ve also had some sumptuous boneless short ribs In the pot.

Sadly, the pressure relief valve has been misplaced so I just ordered a replacement/spare. Since the cost of getting 2 more silicone gaskets for the pot was only slightly more, I ordered the valve + 2 gaskets and it should be delivered 7/1! It is amazing how quickly things can be delivered by Amazon!
    edited June 26
    · Reply · Share