right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Name Three Unexpected Benefits of This Pandemic!

momo2x2018momo2x2018 1149 replies73 threads Senior Member
HaHa! At the outset of the pandemic and with all the doom and gloom, who would have thought there could have been any benefits, never mind three! For me, of the many benefits, my top three have been:

1. Concentrated time with my S; we are spending much more time talking, walking the neighborhood, cooking together, sharing book & tv recommendations and just really connecting. My S is reveling in the cooking lessons, and dare I say, he gets grumpy if I cook without him!

2. Previously, H & I would eat out a couple of times a week; now, we are cooking or preparing each meal at home (we always ate together) and have not eaten out since early March - a side benefit of that is $ not spent!

3. I find I am no longer in a rush to do anything or be anywhere. I am no longer governed by or living by deadlines. I find I have more time to do nothing! What doesn't get done today, will get done tomorrow, next week or next month! The downside is, I waste a lot of time doing nothing!

109 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Name Three Unexpected Benefits of This Pandemic!

• lilmomlilmom 3561 replies96 threads Senior Member
    My list is very similar to yours, @momo2x2018.

1. We are hanging out together. DH, D and I went for a 3-mile walk along the harbor today. We try to walk twice a week. D came home to SIP and works full-time remotely. DH still goes into his office but he's the only one there.

2. We plan our meals - with a weekly menu written on a chalkboard and taken turns cooking. Surprisingly, we've stuck to it. Last week, we decided to get take out and we decided that we prefer home cooking. That's a first.

3. We are finally enjoying our home and the fact that we can enjoy each other's company cooking in the kitchen, hanging out in the backyard and watching TV in our family room. We also appreciate that its big enough for us to have our own space. Just this AM, D said it was a good thing we hadn't gone through with downsizing last year.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 5378 replies197 threads Senior Member
    1) Working MANY fewer hours each week
    2) I got a kitten and have spent lots of time watching her grow and gain got confidence
    3) Much more exercise than I was getting when working
    · Reply · Share
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 2477 replies34 threads Senior Member
    1) commute time cut in half

2) no business travel

3) more time with the family (we used to be so over-scheduled)
    · Reply · Share
  • showmom858showmom858 3180 replies16 threads Senior Member
    Here's my list:

1. The 5 to 7 mile walks H and I take 5 to 6 days a week. We are lucky that we can walk to beaches close by and that we have hiking trails near that we can walk and be away from people.

2. With all the cooking at home and walking both H and I have lost weight and we are feeling better than we have in several years both physically and mentally.

3. Getting to watch D2 who is staying with us right now do her job. She is 26 and has been at her position for almost 3 years and I love seeing her in action because she is really killing it!

· Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3497 replies80 threads Senior Member
    1. Saving money, especially on gas. We are still eating out, but we don't order drinks when doing takeout, so that's a savings. Groceries have become more expensive, but it is still a net savings.

2. I have a newfound appreciation for our National Guard. They have set up covid testing sites, which are reportedly better run than the ones hospitals have set up (have a few friends who have used both), plus they set up a 3,000 field/auxillary hospital in Chicago in about a week (fortunately it wasn't needed, and I believe it closed). They're an impressive group.

3. DH loves WFH, and it looks like his company is going to continue with that and a hybrid option for a while, if not permanently. I am happy with the WFH hybrid schedule I have going. DD needs to get back to school. Her summer class through a college is going very well (much better than the spring e-learning), but that model probably isn't going to be as effective for her calculus, physics 1 & 2, or her digital electronics classes. We do like knowing the WFH option will be available to us for the forseeable future.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 57803 replies3030 threads Senior Member
    1. Using the deck much more (and for more than deck tomatoes)
    2. Being able to have lunch with DH during the week (when one of us isn’t on a work call) or being able to pop into is office and give him a peck on the cheek
    3. Retiring!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 23984 replies208 threads Senior Member
    1. Healthier eating- lost a couple pounds.

2. Can get out for morning run an hour early since no commute to work.

3. Husband has embraced cooking HelloFresh meals and we've had GREAT dinners.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 33227 replies163 threads Senior Member
    1. Eating take out and my husband taking up serious barbecuing means I've been doing less cooking. I like cooking but I have enjoyed the break

2. Seeing more of my kids and interacting with them via online board game platforms. We'll never go back!

3. Getting more exercise. I will try to keep it up, but my work pace is actually about back at it's old levels and DH is going into the lab most days.
    · Reply · Share
  • ArtsyKidDadArtsyKidDad 129 replies15 threads Junior Member
    1. Doing what we've always done (working from home as a husband/wife team), while feeling like we have some ageless wisdom to share, along the lines of "how to avoid divorcing your spouse now that you are stuck together 24/7"
    2. PPP felt like a Christmas bonus (our business didn't go down much). Of course, we'll pay it back in taxes, eventually, but still...
    3. Seeing our DD much more rested than during her normal school year, and still getting a lot done.
    · Reply · Share
  • rphcfbrphcfb 296 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I am low tech.
    - Working from home has forced me to learn how to use conference calls, hold a meeting via WebEx, Zoom, etc. Never would have or need to learn these if I stiil worked in the office.

- Having D home from college since March. We love it..

- all three of us having meals together daily. (we used to have different schedules) and going for a walk as a family regularly.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 42271 replies2281 threads Super Moderator
    Wow, @ArtsyKidDad I could have written all three of your points, word for word! Spooky.
    · Reply · Share
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys 4209 replies27 threads Senior Member
    edited July 1
    (1) Time with college senior/then just graduated/and now working 1st job remotely -- so much fun to be a fly on the wall and hear him navigate his world, getting to see a bit more of it than we would have otherwise. Related -- he and I cook a lot together, which is really nice.

(2) regular dog walks and fewer grocery store runs and fewer spur-of-the moment food decisions at work etc. means I too have dropped a little weight (needs to be more, but I'll start with it). Definitely feel healthier.

(3) saving a ton of money on "things," since I'm just not ordering stuff, being way more conscious of money. We both work at a university and are lucky to have our jobs, but there is a lot of uncertainty in the future so we are saving every way we can. Also tremendous savings on gas and car maintenance. Grocery bill way up, but overall net savings.

My kid, if asked, would say the upside is -- he is in the best shape of his life (and he's a college athlete, so always pretty impressive) because he eats healthily, exercises hard, AND -- doesn't party ever. He hasn't touched alcohol since mid March when they left campus. He's going to have to watch his intake very carefully when things loosen up more bc he will be a huge lightweight when it comes to alcohol, one white wine spritzer and he'll be bouncing off the walls!
    edited July 1
    · Reply · Share
  • Mary13Mary13 4219 replies88 threads Senior Member
    Working remotely for my job required negotiation in the past. No longer!
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 2671 replies22 threads Senior Member
    1. Get to play golf with my son (he was going to be in a different city over the summer).
    2. Daughter has picked up a real interest in cooking healthy meals.
    3. Get to sleep in to 7:30 every day.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 21531 replies920 threads Senior Member
    I wish I could say loads of extra time to do what I want, but WFH has still been full time!

None the less....
    1. No commute = time for exercise twice a day = lost a couple pounds.
    2. Spending curtailed and itch to shop curtailed. Who needs stuff??
    3. Even greater appreciation for outside time and spaces - at home and in our community.
    · Reply · Share