right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Growing out my hair - need help!

fendrockfendrock 2945 replies302 threads Senior Member
I've kept my grey hair very short for decades, but always thought that I might grow it out and wear it in "little old lady" fashion once I was older.

This is of course the perfect time to move forward with this plan. It's going on five months since I've had a haircut and my current look is not pretty.

Fortunately for the most part my husband is the only one who sees me these days.

Any suggests on how to look presentable? I have one hair band that I've tried, but my hair sticks up in front or back of it. Maybe a wider hair band would work, in which case I'd appreciate some recommendations.

My hair is fine and wavy and a white shade of gray, kind of looks like this:

https://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-photography-bad-hair-day-senior-man-having-his-grey-untidy-sticking-out-sitting-outside-looking-straight-image31867617

44 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Growing out my hair - need help!

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 10391 replies122 threads Senior Member
    Hats, scarves, and bandanas!
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 11866 replies82 threads Senior Member
    Hey, wait, that photo looks like me! I'm salt and pepper version. Let me know if you find a solution! Hairclips?

Two of my face masks have elastics that go around the head, and hold my hair down. I am waiting for bun length :)
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 9286 replies74 threads Senior Member
    I needed the humor.

Seriously, Argon oil can smooth out the fly always. Lots of brands, available in drug stores, @$10. I know, I live in FL. Scarves are also a good look.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 57803 replies3030 threads Senior Member
    OMG @fendrock that link was eye opening!!
    I also use argon oil. And a flat iron. And a pony tail tie at times . Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 3256 replies45 threads Senior Member
    Bobby pins
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 21531 replies920 threads Senior Member
    I agree with pretty headbands or pretty ponytail holders if it's long enough to pull back. What kind of headband are you currently using?
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 11866 replies82 threads Senior Member
    Facetime and Zoom are getting embarrassing :)
    · Reply · Share
  • fendrockfendrock 2945 replies302 threads Senior Member
    Compmom, at least we are not three dimensional on Facetime or Zoom!
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 5066 replies60 threads Senior Member
    I have lots of knock off buffs. Mine is longer than your picture, so I am more Albert Einstein between cuts, but otherwise the same white ball of fluff. Most of the time I have some kind of leave in conditioner or oil treatment in it unless I leave the house LOL.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mom2jlMom2jl 707 replies6 threads Member
    I don't have any suggestions other than the ones above, but I do have a question. What exactly is "little old lady" fashion, when it comes to hair? I also have short graying hair, but was just planning to leave it that way indefinitely and hadn't really considered a different style.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 21531 replies920 threads Senior Member
    IMO, "little old lady" hair is followed by "little old lady" clothing. If your clothing is more updated, you can get by with a less stylish cut. (also, check your make up!).

If you rock "little old lady" hair AND clothes, then we ready to get an invite to the "little old lady" club!!! :)

· Reply · Share
  • yauponreduxyauponredux 827 replies27 threads Member
    Any hairstyle Helen Mirren wears is always my choice for gray hair!
    · Reply · Share
  • orangepurpleorangepurple 283 replies15 threads Junior Member
    I look pretty much like that picture now. My hair looks OK -ish if I wash it and let it dry with some anti-frizz stuff, but as soon as it gets messed up at all, if it's windy, if I sleep on it, if I work out, whatever, at this length it just frizzes up. I am just wearing a hat if I go out and ignoring it.
    · Reply · Share
  • fendrockfendrock 2945 replies302 threads Senior Member
    edited July 4
    @Mom2jl I consider a "little old lady" fashion for hair something like a simple bun that doesn't require a lot of fussing.

Something like this:

https://www.advanced.style/2011/12/but-im-old-lady.html

(I'm assuming she has a bun in the back.)

Incidentally, it is disturbing to do a Google search on "gray hair," "little old lady" etc.

This returns very few images of actual older women with gray hair.

Apparently we are not supposed to exist.
    edited July 4
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 4184 replies15 threads Senior Member
    If I grew my hair out again (never gonna happen) I’d have to use scarves and head wraps to keep it in line.

I’d be good to go once it was long enough to put up.

When my hair was long (it was a phase!) I wore it up every single day, twist & jaw clip.

So, one day, I went in and got it cut very short. Jamie Lee Curtis short. Sometimes, Anderson Cooper short! Never going back!

Good luck!

· Reply · Share
  • MarilynMarilyn 4343 replies142 threads Senior Member
    I found 65 styles for older women with grey hair:

https://therighthairstyles.com/20-gorgeous-hairstyles-for-gray-hair/4/

That being said, I did my second Madison Reed color a few days ago and am very happy with how it turned out. So it’s consistent and I am brunette again.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 57803 replies3030 threads Senior Member
    edited July 4
  • surfcitysurfcity 2772 replies61 threads Senior Member
    When you say “little old lady” hair I immediately think of the wash and set. You know, the rollers all over the head and then shellacked into place until next week’s appointment with the hairdresser.
    · Reply · Share
  • psychmommapsychmomma 3346 replies47 threads Senior Member
    My hair is below my shoulders, but puffs out like the picture when it’s humid or if I’ve been active, slept on it a few days, or brush it. (Brushing is a No-no.) It is calm and wavy if I shampoo, use leave in conditioner, and then mousse. For my texture, using enough conditioner is key. I didn’t do anything special with clips as it grew out, just kept it super conditioned.
    · Reply · Share