right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Mobile WIFI

IgloooIglooo 9234 replies226 threads Senior Member
edited July 4 in Parent Cafe
Does anyone know how it works? Is it wireless? Is it battery powered? What are good brands? What should I look for?
edited July 4
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Mobile WIFI

• MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 23984 replies208 threads Senior Member
    My company uses Verizon MoFis. They are battery powered but can plug in to charge or use plugged in (USB). It works really well. Other than that, I don't know what the different features are or if some are better than others.
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 9234 replies226 threads Senior Member
    To use Verizon MoFis, does your phone plan have to with Verizon? Or is it independent of who your cell provider is?
    · Reply · Share
  • Singersmom07Singersmom07 4397 replies82 threads Senior Member
    A relative recent review of the various options https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-mobile-wi-fi-hotspot/ You can get it stand alone. It has its own charges. I did not check pricing to see if it’s cheaper to stay with your own phone company.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks for the link. That is very informative. I am on at&t plan. Trying to replacing broadband in an area broadband doesn't work. According to the article, Verizon is the way to go.
    · Reply · Share
  • zeebamomzeebamom 1434 replies3 threads Senior Member
    We have 2 Verizon jetpacks that we use in our second home. The area doesn’t have any broadband available. 15gb for $20 (each). Technically unlimited, but it ratchets data speeds way down after it hits 15.

H bought a signal booster antenna in May after repeated poor cell reception. Not cheap, but it’s made a huge difference. We are also able to use our Verizon iPhones as hotspots.
    · Reply · Share
    @zeebamom Thanks. Yes, it is for my second home. Why do you need 2 jetpacks? Can't you share one? I have no idea how much gb we will be using. After reading the article linked by @Singersmom07, Verizon jetpack is the way to go. We are on at&t. I am thinking we will switch to Verizon. I can start out with 15 gb and see how it goes.
    · Reply · Share
    @Iglooo - we have two so when one gets to 15gb, we can switch to the other and not lose speed. The cost for both is less than a cell phone & data plan.
    We’ve only hit the limits a couple of times.
    This past week we’ve used ~11gb. 6 people here Thursday til today. The cell booster antenna helps a lot; our family guests really didn’t have to get on the WiFi.

If the cell reception is good where you’re at, it should be ok. If it is poor, consider an antenna. Ours is a WeBoost home antenna, ~$1,000 on Amazon. Everyone was able to access data with no issues. We used an old cellphone to find the towers and positioned accordingly. We’ve had this place 5 years and this is the first time *everyone* was happy with reception.

Bear in mind you may not be able to stream much in the way of video.
    · Reply · Share
    No Netflix? That will be hard. Is there a way to power it up to stream?
    · Reply · Share
    We have the worst cable here on the Olympic Peninsula in WA - very basic and no ability to get satellite. My husband uploads shows and movies to watch on his iPad and we make do.
    It’s possible that we could stream, but we just try to avoid it and save the data.

A lot depends on where you are and what is available.
    · Reply · Share
    I have in-laws in Olympic Peninsula! Where I am, it is the same, no broadband no satellite.
    · Reply · Share