right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Is there a decent tasting instant coffee on the market?

powercropperpowercropper 1799 replies77 threads Senior Member
edited July 4 in Parent Cafe
Looking for a decent tasting instant coffee (in both regular and decaf varieties). Prefer to buy in a jar as opposed to the higher cost individually packaged sticks of coffee. Something to have on hand when the power goes out.

Currently, we drink Folger's Classic Medium Roast (a mixture of regular and decaf) at home in our coffeemaker.

My husband does not like flavored coffees, so we stay away from vanilla and hazelnut flavored coffees.
edited July 4
26 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is there a decent tasting instant coffee on the market?

• Midwest67Midwest67 4184 replies15 threads Senior Member
    I was going to recommend the Starbuck's sticks, but I see you are not looking for that.

We use an old-fashioned stove top percolator for when the power goes out (gas stove).

The Starbuck's sticks are good for backpacking. The percolator is great for car camping.

· Reply · Share
  • snowballsnowball 3090 replies258 threads Senior Member
    If you like the taste of Folger's, why not stick with their instant? I assume the flavor would be the same.

· Reply · Share
  • MaryBarbara58MaryBarbara58 200 replies3 threads Junior Member
    If you have the ability to heat water, have you tried a "pour over"? My husband is a coffee snob and it's his favorite way to make coffee (initial investment of maybe $10 plus coffee filters). My husband grinds his own beans every day but you can certainly keep ground coffee on hand.
    · Reply · Share
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 3973 replies38 threads Senior Member
    If having coffee quickly is your reason for drinking instant, I'd suggest a Nespresso coffee maker. Once you pop the pods in the machine you have coffee really quickly and IMO it's much better than instant coffee.
    · Reply · Share
  • momo2x2018momo2x2018 1149 replies73 threads Senior Member
    Try WaKa, it comes in a foil lined bag and is supposed to be the most flavorsome of all instant coffees, and comes i a range of strengths.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 24951 replies20 threads Senior Member
    I also prefer a Melita (pour over) coffee to instant. Same heating the water, pour over, maybe takes 1 minute longer for the drip than to just stir the instant.

My grandfather drank instant coffee. I never thought it smelled as good as 'real' coffee. He liked Folger's crystals.
    · Reply · Share
  • anomanderanomander 1885 replies4 threads Senior Member
    I second the pour over option as one that’ll give you real coffee. But that really depends on your tolerance for instant; if you’d prefer to have your same Folgers mix when the power is out, take a look at something like aeropress, v60, or chemex.
    · Reply · Share
  • MassmommMassmomm 4241 replies85 threads Senior Member
    The only remotely drinkable instant coffee is the Starbucks stick coffee. But it doesn't compare to real coffee. When we lose power, I light the gas stove, heat up water and make pour over. When bad weather is predicted, I grind some beans in advance so that I will have ground coffee on hand.
    · Reply · Share
  • powercropperpowercropper 1799 replies77 threads Senior Member
    I will try Starbucks Instant Coffee. Does it only come in packets, or is there a place to buy in bulk?

Also, if we are used to Folgers Classic Medium Roast at home, which Starbucks Instant should I buy?
    · Reply · Share
  • ccprofandmomof2ccprofandmomof2 508 replies8 threads Member
    Trader Joe's sells a small glass jar of instant coffee that I found surprisingly good on a recent camping trip. Sorry, I can't remember the exact name, but it's the only one they sell in a small jar.
    · Reply · Share
  • snowballsnowball 3090 replies258 threads Senior Member
    If power is out, how are you heating your water? If you have a gas stove and can heat water, I agree, the pour over is a great option. My dad loved his for his evening coffee; in the morning he would make a small pot for himself, but in the evening it was a single cup of decaf.
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 30834 replies198 threads Senior Member
    Cafe La LLave has an instant version. I haven't tried it yet. But if you favor espresso-type flavor, it could be worth investigating.

· Reply · Share
  • mamag2855mamag2855 842 replies2 threads Member
    edited July 10
    I have a french press which I use during power outages, and it makes great coffee. I have never found any instant coffee which tastes close to fresh brewed.
    edited July 10
    · Reply · Share
  • cameo43cameo43 1697 replies31 threads Senior Member
    When power goes out at our cabin, I can heat water on the woodstove. Wouldn't want to fire up the woodstove in summer, though...
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 78481 replies3537 threads Senior Member
    @powercropper why are you looking for instant coffee? Is it for ease of making, long term storage, use in other cooking? Why?
    · Reply · Share
  • powercropperpowercropper 1799 replies77 threads Senior Member
    edited July 11
    I want coffee when power goes out. Our neighborhood is older, full of tall trees, and we often lose power for 3 days when a bad storm hits and we wait for downed trees to be removed and power lines reattached.

A cup of coffee goes a long way towards helping me survive mentally.

I finally decided I am going to order and try Kroger Simple Truth organic instant.
    edited July 11
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 78481 replies3537 threads Senior Member
    So you have a way to heat hot water when the power goes out...why can’t you use your regular means of making coffee? I’m guessing there is a reason...but what?
    · Reply · Share
  • patsmompatsmom 4332 replies526 threads Senior Member
    When we lost power after a hurricane, we heated water using Sterno or our gas grill an we used Folgers Coffee Singles. They're like tea bags but with coffee inside. Better than nothing!
    https://www.folgerscoffee.com/coffees/single-serve-coffee/classic-roast-singles
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 41472 replies480 threads Senior Member
    If you have European delis in your area, they usually carry some decent European instant coffees. Like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Illy-illy-Instant-Coffee-100g/dp/B00X5QRNV0#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div
    · Reply · Share
  • mamag2855mamag2855 842 replies2 threads Member
    edited July 11
    Since you are heating water for instant coffee any way, why not consider using a french press with your existing ground coffee? I purchased one at ikea for less than $10. They are readily available and inexpensive on line, too.

We have above ground power lines and also frequently lose electrical service. It is so nice to still be able to start the day with fresh brewed coffee. We heat the water on our gas grill side burner, and break out the french press.

It really is very easy to use, makes delicious coffee, and no extra filters are needed.
    edited July 11
    · Reply · Share