right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Washington NFL franchise to "undergo a thorough review of the team's name"

ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83881 replies744 threads Senior Member
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29405011/redskins-undergo-thorough-review-nickname

Washington NFL franchise to "undergo a thorough review of the team's name", which is now often considered offensive or derogatory to Native Americans.
17 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Washington NFL franchise to "undergo a thorough review of the team's name"

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone 24985 replies20 threads Senior Member
    I hope they put a lot of research into the new name.
    · Reply · Share
  • onthewestfenceonthewestfence 299 replies9 threads Member
    MLB Cleveland is considering it also. But not CFL Edmonton.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/07/04/washington-cleveland-team-name-changes
    · Reply · Share
  • maya54maya54 2676 replies100 threads Senior Member
    edited July 5
    I’m rooting for the Redtails in honor of the Tuskegee Airmen. The proposed logo for that is awesome!
    edited July 5
    · Reply · Share
  • TatinGTatinG 7309 replies120 threads Senior Member
    I don't care. They are private organizations and can call themselves whatever they want. I'm glad my sports stars (tennis) just play under their own names. No mascots.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 18110 replies164 threads Senior Member
    I saw a headline on Twitter: Washington football team to change name to DC Redskins. I thought "WHAT???"

Of course it was from The Onion. :D
    · Reply · Share
  • vpa2019vpa2019 702 replies19 threads Member
    I’m waiting to see what happens with the braves, the Indians, the chiefs, the black hawks, warriors etc...
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83881 replies744 threads Senior Member
    vpa2019 wrote: »
    I’m waiting to see what happens with the braves, the Indians, the chiefs, the black hawks, warriors etc...

Cleveland MLB team "will review their long-debated nickname".
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29406956/cleveland-indians-determine-best-path-forward-team-name

Atlanta MLB team "gave no indication they are willing to consider a similar change."
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29410294/atlanta-braves-give-no-indication-considering-name-change
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13774 replies114 threads Senior Member
    DC football fan here. Warriors or Redtails would be great with me. Every year, the name change gets hot and then goes away. Don't think it's going away now. Snyder conducted a survey a few years ago which showed that the vast majority of Native Americans didn't find the name offensive. He has fought in the courts to keep the name, too.

What I find interesting is that Ron Rivera, the new head coach (formerly of the Carolina team) is working with Danny Boy on this. Rivera is of Hispanic heritage and has said publicly that he feels the name should be changed.

Now if the team can do better than 3-13, that would also be a huge improvement.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 24985 replies20 threads Senior Member
    We still have high school teams with names related to NA tribes, but usually they have worked with the tribe for education and agree on what will be allowed (art work, chants, mascot).

The NCAA requires the schools who have NA associations to work with the tribes. FSU has permission to use Seminoles. U of North Dakota did not receive permission from all the Sioux tribes so no more Fighting Sioux.
    · Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 8518 replies28 threads Senior Member
    The DC football team should have changed the name a long time ago.

FWIW my college alma mater (a school I love) has a nickname like this. The mascot was changed years ago, but I think its time to let go of the name, too.
    · Reply · Share
    FallGirl wrote: »

FWIW my college alma mater (a school I love) has a nickname like this. The mascot was changed years ago, but I think its time to let go of the name, too.

Does the name itself inherently have a Native American connotation, or is it one that can be non-ethnically-associated?
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 7618 replies36 threads Senior Member
    edited July 13
    Isn't Warriors just as bad? Maybe not but just sounds bad . Crazy idea here.... How about just Washington? W
    The announcers could just say "Washington is playing Cleveland today which will end up in a low scoring tie game" 🤔😉🏈😳
    edited July 13
    · Reply · Share
    Knowsstuff wrote: »
    Isn't Warriors just as bad? Maybe not but just sounds bad .

There is probably a hierarchy of what people consider bothersome in type of thing:

1. Name that can either be non-ethnic or have ethnic connotations, but is used in a non-ethnic sense. (e.g. NBA Golden State, NFL Las Vegas)
    2. Name that represents a function with ethnic connotations. (e.g. MLB Atlanta, NFL Kansas City, historical NBA Philadelphia)
    3. Name that is of an ethnic group. (e.g. MLB Cleveland, NHL Chicago)
    4. Name that is a commonly-seen-as-insulting term for an ethnic group. (e.g. NFL Washington name that is being dropped)

Plenty more examples in the various categories can be found in colleges and high schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 8518 replies28 threads Senior Member
    Does the name itself inherently have a Native American connotation, or is it one that can be non-ethnically-associated?

@ucbalumnus - The name definitely has a NA connotation.
    · Reply · Share