right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Unmask Yourself!

momo2x2018momo2x2018 1149 replies73 threads Senior Member
edited July 4 in Parent Cafe
I'll preface this by saying - no need to explain yourself etc. I'm just curious how many do or don't mask up, and in which state you live. Mask shaming not allowed!

Do you or don't you wear a mask when out in public? I'm not talking about when you are out for a solo hike, exercise etc. I am talking about public settings i.e. the car wash, stores, office buildings, restaurants, grocery stores etc.
edited July 4
283 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Unmask Yourself!

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 41472 replies480 threads Senior Member
    WA here. Greater Seattle area. We acquired our masks back in April at a local winery that was selling them to benefit a food bank. We were early mask adopters. No indoor public place visit “unmuzzled” ever since. Go Huskies! Go Hawks! We display our team pride on our faces. ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • stradmomstradmom 5235 replies51 threads Senior Member
    Of course I wear a mask. I hate it but I'm protecting myself and others. I've been looking for a more fashionable option than the boring surgical masks and really basic white ones I purchased. I have one that emerges from a scarf that will be lovely in cooler weather but no good for now.

However, I don't wear one for my daily walk around the block, because I can easily distance from the perhaps 1-2 people I encounter. I do feel a little guilty when I pass the one woman who's been wearing one for weeks, but since she's walking with another woman who isn't wearing a mask and is sipping coffee (they're distancing), not so bad.

I live in a state in the Northeast that was hit hard early on but has managed to keep the numbers down recently.
    · Reply · Share
  • jmnva06jmnva06 870 replies9 threads Member
    Northern Virginia. I haven't been inside of public place without a mask since early April.

My mask is a handsewn one made by a friend
    · Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3714 replies14 threads Senior Member
    edited July 4
    Yes, big mask wearer here. My only problem with forgetting was when I went through a drive-through Goodwill donation site and tried to hand the guy my bag of items through my car window without wearing my mask and he told me that I wasn’t following the rules. Didn’t occur to me to put it on then. Makes sense.
    edited July 4
    · Reply · Share
  • GKUnionGKUnion 908 replies19 threads Member
    I’m in New England and always wear a mask when prudent. I’m back at work these days and they’re required anytime I venture out of my office.
    · Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 4598 replies40 threads Senior Member
    Masked when indoors, not when outdoors, and still trying to figure out the drive-thru rules. I think no mask necessary at drive thru bank or pharmacy. Coffee and food places I am less sure of, unclear if I need one for Starbucks, for example, if I stay in my car. I don't normally wear one inside my car.
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 6652 replies2 threads Senior Member
    I always wear a mask when out in public. The only exception is that restaurants have opened up where I live, and I take a mask off to eat.

On bike rides I have been trying to avoid wearing a mask by staying well away from any other people. I have had to alter my route a bit to avoid one frequently congested spot. I suppose that I could take a mask with me, and put it on before approaching that spot.
    · Reply · Share
  • whidbeyite2002whidbeyite2002 304 replies1 threads Member
    Rural Western Washington here. I was an early adopter and have worn a mask indoors and at drive-through banking and food pick-up since late March. I do not wear one on my daily neighbor walk except when the pollen count was really high. I do wear a mask outdoors when in town, which was just mandated.
    My husband works in healthcare, so I consider myself a potential carrier.
    · Reply · Share
  • psychmommapsychmomma 3346 replies47 threads Senior Member
    edited July 5
    I’ve worn a mask since March. I only go out every 10-14 days. I wear a mask on my arm when hiking, in case I encounter someone on a narrow path. Illinois. I’ll add that everywhere I’ve gone, everyone I’ve seen has been masked. Very high compliance in my area of the suburbs.

Also, I am caregiver for my mom, so take our risks very seriously.
    edited July 5
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 36051 replies396 threads Senior Member
    Always mask indoors. When outdoors in my neighborhood walking where we rarely encounter anyone and can easily distance
    > 6 ft, don’t mask. Mostly I stay home and only do food shopping and minimal errands. I do not mask in my own home.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenbuttongreenbutton 2776 replies126 threads Senior Member
    edited July 5
    The only place we don't mask (other than our own home and yard) is for an evening walk, and even then we are careful to swerve for any people. Masks everywhere else, and we were early adopters here in Pa. I made my parents , children, and inlaws sets and mailed them to them. Ours, I got from Etsy. I actually like the fun patterns you can acquire.

We each own (or I made) 5-6 of them, one of which we keep in the car so it can't be forgotten. DH wears one all day at work; once in the house, it's dropped in a basin of soapy water until it goes in the wash. I tend to leave mine in the car, since I only go anywhere about every 12-14 days. (I am working from home until January, possibly permanently. DH is not able to)
    edited July 5
    · Reply · Share
  • PacNWparentPacNWparent 257 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I started wearing a mask in public when health officials made the recommendation back in April. I keep one in the car and another in the house.

I noticed a few shoppers wearing disposable gloves at the supermarket. I bought a box and will do the same while shopping.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 36051 replies396 threads Senior Member
    We bought a twin pack of nitrile gloves from Costco at the beginning of the COVID publicity in Feb/March. We ended up giving them to a friend who has to help his dad with his catheter. We just use sanitizer as soon as we exit the stores and don’t bother with gloves. It sounds like the airborne droplets are the big infection vector, not contact with possible for it’s, from what I’ve been reading.

We still have some gloves, which we use for messy jobs around the house.
    · Reply · Share
  • calmomcalmom 20896 replies168 threads Senior Member
    Absolutely, I wear a mask whenever I am go anywhere where I will be indoors, and outdoors if I will be having any sort of social contact. (For example, today I joined a neighbor and to sit & watch fireworks together). I carry a mask with me if walking along local trails, in case there are other people -- but not when walking the dogs around the neighborhood, because there is very little activity or traffic so easy to avoid others by crossing the street or simply walking along the middle of the street.

I've just ordered about a half-dozen more masks in addition to the 4 I have (plus a couple of bandanas). I have more of a scarf thing I carry on outdoor walks and will reuse those, but for the cloth masks that I might wear to the grocery store -- as soon as I get home, I toss them into the laundry.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 23984 replies208 threads Senior Member
    Middle TN- I wear a mask for all indoor public places or buildings except in a closed office or room. Haven't needed one at any outdoor places yet because the situation hasn't arisen, but it I was going to be close to people, I would wear a mask. I don't wear one for running outside- even if I might be next to someone for a brief time. I've found some very good masks that are comfortable and not hideous- 1 on Etsy and one from Rothy's, the shoe company. My husband has a Rothy's one, too, (they come in sets of 2) and it's his favorite.
    · Reply · Share
  • 4kids4us4kids4us 1150 replies4 threads Senior Member
    MD suburbs. I’ve been wearing a mask since early April, just before they were mandated in MD to be worn inside all retail, etc establishments and outdoors when 6’ distance isn’t possible. I don’t need one when on walks in my neighborhood. I do, however, wear them when at an outdoor establishment, such as while waiting in line to get ice cream from a carryout window, when going through a drive thru, etc. Where I live, there is basically 100% compliance.

I’m currently at the beach a couple hours from home, but still in MD. While all places require masks indoors (there are signs everywhere) and for the most part, there is near 100% compliance indoors, we’ve noticed that many are either not wearing correctly (not covering nose), have them around their neck, or they don’t wear them while outside where social distancing isn’t possible, even when in a crowded area, like the ice cream store line. Since the beach draws people from many other states, as well as those who conclude mask wearing is for “sheep,” I’m not surprised unfortunately. We have left a couple of places where people are not wearing them.

I have a feeling that numbers will go up in Maryland not long after this holiday weekend.
    · Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 8508 replies28 threads Senior Member
    Northern VA/DC suburbs here. I don't leave home without a mask. I don't go into stores very often (H grocery shops and he always wears a mask) but anytime I go into a public place I am masked. Working from home but I have to go into my office once a week for 3-4 hours. I wear a mask in the building except when I am sitting in my own workstation. Every time I get up (to go to the workroom to scan,the restroom, etc) I am masked even though there are typically only 1-4 others in the office.

I wear a "buff" type cloth around my neck every time I run. Since I'm usually out very early, I don't see others very often but I pull the buff up over my nose/mouth every time I see anyone even if I am socially distanced. That's overkill I know, but there is a lot of badmouthing of runners by some in my community so...
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 9234 replies226 threads Senior Member
    In doors, yes except in a restaurant after sitting down. Outdoors, no.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10391 replies122 threads Senior Member
    Chicagoland area - been mask wearing indoors since April. No mask outdoors when we can socially distance. Everyone is super good about doing the “covid shuffle” and moving around each other to maintain distancing.
    · Reply · Share
  • 3kids2dogs3kids2dogs 462 replies25 threads Member
    I wear a mask indoors, and outdoors if social distancing might be a problem or if I am going in and out of multiple places, I will leave it on until I am finished with my indoor activities. My mask situation has evolved. Before they were mandated, we were under stay at home orders, so I wasn't going much of anywhere, but when I'd go out, I'd wear a neck gaiter and would raise it if the people I encountered were masked. If they weren't masked, I kept it around my neck. Once mandated in May, I "bit the bullet" and bought a few reusable masks.
    · Reply · Share