right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Verto Education gives first-year students the opportunity to travel, earn college credit, and graduate in four years. RSVP for their virtual fair on Sept. 29 and engage with them in an exclusive AMA session.
Get all the info you need to know to complete the FAFSA during our LIVE webinar Thursday, Sept 24, at 7pm ET. Hear from financial aid experts on deadlines, what documents you will need, and how your info will be used to calculate aid. REGISTER NOW and share your questions.
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

How do you use this forum?

Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay 19657 replies467 threads Senior Member
Yesterday, I posted about a friend's issue to see how others felt. I told her about the thread, and she took a look. I told her that I like the Parent Cafe because there generally is diversity of opinion, and I use it to gauge whether I need to adjust my thinking.

For instance, if I think one way and 90% of people agree with me, I know that I'm probably not crazy -- or at least have plenty of company! But if there's a critical mass that doesn't agree with me, then it makes me think I might need to rethink things.

Is that how you use this forum?
28 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How do you use this forum?

• thumper1thumper1 78828 replies3557 threads Senior Member
    The Parent Cafe is. Great place to come for suggestions...about anything. Kitchen faucets, MOB dresses, mattresses, vacation plans (ok....not right now...but in the past), info about medical procedures or issues, recommendations for where to buy things.

Favorite threads of mine...The Bragging Thread where you can brag about anything! The Good Buy of the Day...fun to read.

I’ve posed a number of questions here and folks have great ideas.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10814 replies134 threads Senior Member
    The parents caring for parents thread was such a support.

Also love the Bragging Thread.
    · Reply · Share
  • dragonmomdragonmom 6220 replies156 threads Senior Member
    edited August 1
    I use it to keep from going crazy.
    I love the wide variety of opinions and answers that intelligent posters are willing to add.
    Book reports, pretty much in the cafe
    Stopping there before it gets political.
    edited August 1
    · Reply · Share
  • mominvamominva 3173 replies37 threads Senior Member
    I am only in the Cafe these days, as my baby graduated college in 2011!

I leave this tab open and browse about many threads.

I agree with @ChoatieMom that this is a community.
    Some I've met IRL, some only virtually. I consider all 'my friends' and I celebrate and mourn at their life events.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 11283 replies603 threads Super Moderator
    Do you mean specifically Parent Cafe? I generally come here to ask a question that I don’t think local friends will necessarily have good answers for. But when I see a juicy thread pop up, like this one, I like to throw my two cents in.

Good question!
    · Reply · Share
  • JustaMomJustaMom 2941 replies103 threads Senior Member
    I originally came on the boards as my own (now very adult) d was navigating the college process, and then again when she was planning a college transfer. We both learned so much through the boards (well I did, she just got to listen to what I learned). After her college days I realized I really enjoyed the Parent Cafe and the men and women who posted there, so I stuck around.

I like the variety of perspectives, questions and answers that posters are willing to share. Many people have similar experiences in life, some of us have never had a particular experience, and these boards really open my eyes to learning more about some subjects.

· Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 57907 replies3037 threads Senior Member
    There are many intelligent folk here whose knowledge I appreciate. So there are several threads of great interest- the “deal of the day” is a favorite, travel tips (back when we could travel!), the retirement thread, and the random questions (which I started but its been helpful) where we can ask whatever and not have to start a new thread.
    · Reply · Share
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay 19657 replies467 threads Senior Member
    ^^^ I must have missed that one!
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13811 replies114 threads Senior Member
    It's ok if you missed it trust me! I just searched it.
    · Reply · Share
  • agreatstoryagreatstory 130 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I had to swear off Musical Theater, because just reading about the process triggered anxiety. It was an excellent adventure into an unknown world while it lasted.
    · Reply · Share
  • bookreader1bookreader1 39 replies2 threads Junior Member
    @ChoatieMom - thanks for keeping up with the Service Academy section. I only go infrequently (because I forget about it) and I generally find that you have already answered the question so thoroughly that I don't need to reply also. Mine leaves for EBOLC in a couple weeks. And so the fun begins...

I love that this site is an incredible wealth of information. If I have a question, I can come here and ask 'the hive' and within a short time, I get some great advice/suggestions.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 33314 replies163 threads Senior Member
    I do love how you can post a question and within a day you'll have more advice than you dreamed of. Right now I'm reading the few Covid threads that are left, the Book Club thread, the movie and TV threads, the Dressing Young thread and whatever catches my eye. I don't subscribe to anything. I just sign in and see what has new posts.
    · Reply · Share
  • rockymtnhigh2rockymtnhigh2 497 replies6 threads Member
    Actually several phases of my life. First choosing a college for D2, then parents taking care of parents thread, now mostly parent cafe for advise, humor, and knowledge. I enjoy the friendly & intelligent community. Open 24/7, I like that.
    · Reply · Share