right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Spain? Italy? Hawaii? Where do you want to travel WHILE getting college credit? REGISTER NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

I just won a therapy pack! Have you ever won anything?

aunt beaaunt bea 10465 replies73 threads Senior Member
I just received a call from my chiropractor's office! I entered her raffle and won this week's prize! I know. She's been helping me with my upper back and neck issues (with all of the sewing of masks).
I never win anything, so this was a nice surprise for my weekend-lotion, rice pack, massager, biofreeze, etc. Have any of you won anything? It would be interesting to see what people have won!

[Yes, I am aware that it can be a questionable occupation (Background: What I like about her is that she knows her limits and doesn't claim to cure everything, and refers me back to my primary care when there are other health issues. ) I don't like using painkillers and her therapy actually helps.)
36 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: I just won a therapy pack! Have you ever won anything?

• mathmommathmom 33318 replies163 threads Senior Member
    Almost never but I remember we won some sort of educational electronic toy that my older son really loved which was a raffle for a children's library. It's funny how little I can remember about it besides we won - it was yellow and I think had science questions?

I donated a watercolor painting for the same event and it ended up selling for over $400 which was more than I'd ever gotten anyone to pay otherwise.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 5488 replies198 threads Senior Member
    I won some champagne in a dance contest when we were at Grand Cayman, and won some rum cake during the same event, but I think it was a door prize kind of thing.
    I won a free ticket on some airline that’s now defunct back in the 80s. (I can’t remember how I won it). It was a great prize, because I think my mom actually used it to fly for my wedding, and I think the trip I won it on was the same one where my luggage and my mom’s luggage was stolen from our rental car.
    · Reply · Share
  • helpingmom40helpingmom40 445 replies10 threads Member
    I took a survey from a retailer I bought something from once and won a $100 gift card. Retailer recently filed for bankruptcy and I had to place an online order for stuff I didn’t want or need just to redeem it before they closed for good. I donated items to a local charity so I am not sure I actually “won” anything.
    · Reply · Share
  • itsgettingreal21itsgettingreal21 388 replies5 threads Member
    In recent years, I’ve won a Tumi bag, an Amazon Tap, many gift cards including several $100+ gift cards, a fashion consult and personal shopper (gave that away), and I’m probably forgetting some things. I win things every now and again and most of the time I give them to my DD.
    · Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 8601 replies28 threads Senior Member
    I have won numerous raffles. Of course when you win you are required to say "I never win anything!" :)
    · Reply · Share
    Oh yeah... I won at the one and only time I played Handbag bingo. My package was Lily Pulitzer. It was actually an insulated beach bag I’ve used quite a few times, with a bunch of other stuff.
    · Reply · Share
  • LizardlyLizardly 2689 replies11 threads Senior Member
    My son won a bike! I had given him a big speech about how he shouldn't get his hopes up. LOL! I had to figure out how to transport the thing home.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 21921 replies930 threads Senior Member
    I have a terrible memory for remembering things like this. I'm sure I have won a few things - nothing of huge value!

The one memory I have is being an older teen and I won a prize from a local clothing store. When I went to redeem the prize, it was men's underwear. So actually, you could say I DIDN'T win!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • bajammbajamm 1755 replies19 threads Senior Member
    @Lizardly he should of rode it home!

My daughter won a pre-prom package her senior year of high school. It was to encourage the kids to pay their $25 fee for the post prom, so whomever had paid by a certain date got their names in the pot. Her name was drawn, so she won a tux rental for her date, flowers for both, 2 free dinners at a local restaurant, and a mani/pedi.

Then she went to post prom and stayed all the way til the end at 6 am. The final prize was a drawing for a used car, donated by a local dealership. She won that, too! She drove it for 2-3 years then it blew up on her on the interstate.
    · Reply · Share
  • eb23282eb23282 942 replies25 threads Member
    $50 and a case a beer - singing karaoke in Australia.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3998 replies251 threads Senior Member
    In high school I won a 50-50 raffle ($40). Since then, I always say I never win anything. Then about 15 years ago in the same week I won an expensive knife at a supermarket raffle and I guessed the closest number of jelly beans at a street fair and won a $100 savings bond.

I have won several things at my local library (T-shirt, books, etc.). I enter everything they run and sometimes there are only a handful of entries, so the odds are in my favor.
    · Reply · Share
  • MarilynMarilyn 4446 replies147 threads Senior Member
    When I was in 5th grade, I won a stuffed burro by guessing the number of jelly beans in a jar at a junior high fair. My brother, who was in 7th grade, had to carry it home the next week. I named it Beans and still have it.

A couple of years ago, I won one of the many door raffle prizes at a customer appreciation party that our Realtor threw every year. It was a set consisting of beach chair, umbrella, and giant towel.

I’m sure there have been other online prizes like small gift cards but can’t remember anything specific.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaryBarbara58MaryBarbara58 217 replies3 threads Junior Member
    I bought a raffle ticket ($20) for a friend's charity and won second prize - a $1,000 Visa gift card! I feel like that made up for many, many years of never winning anything.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 25281 replies20 threads Senior Member
    I won 1/2 tuition at the school gala when they were in Kindergarten (about $2000 I think). Then my mom won it when they were in 4th grade and since my kids were the only ones at the school, I really won that too.

My kids/nephew have won things that I entered them in. Nephew won a video camera when they cost a lot. Daughter won golf clubs, I won a vcr from one of the Safeway contests.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 36143 replies397 threads Senior Member
    The favorite things I won were merit and need based scholarships for college & law school when I was young and poor. I also won a door prize—2 nights and airfare for 2 for resort on Maui. At a raffle, won 2 night stay at 5* hotel on Oahu.

My S won a 29” color TV as a door prize. Thankfully he also won several merit based scholarships for college and tuition to take two college courses (tho he only took one). D won the grand prize raffle at a charity lunch, $100. I’ve “won” multiple silent auction items over the years.

Normally, yup, we don’t win. I am very grateful for the things we have won.
    · Reply · Share
  • bearcatfanbearcatfan 1188 replies12 threads Senior Member
    I won $100 in my office March Madness bracket back in 1995. I worked at a newspaper, so it was especially sweet because I beat the sports department lol.
    · Reply · Share
    Someone I know tried winning via cell phone when it was 10 cents per call to call the radio station. They tried 180 time ($18.00 bucks worth). Didn’t win, but did get yelled at by the wife.
    · Reply · Share
  • ClassicMom98ClassicMom98 706 replies1 threads Member
    At our quarterly supervisor meetings, they have a drawing for 7-10 prizes. 1-3 are nicer and the rest are things like baseball hats & t-shirts donated by vendors. With 4 meetings a year x roughly 15 years and only 175 dept employees, I am bound to win a few things.

Best I’ve won - a boom box/stereo that H has used in his school gym forever, and a small step stool with an interior storage compartment. I use it all the time for organizing/cleaning when I don’t want to sit on the ground or kneel. And a Swiss Army knife I gave to older S.

I’ve won several baseball caps and t-shirts. I don’t wear hats and the shirts are always men’s XXL or XXXL. Those the most common sizes in my department, but I’m 5-10 and 140 pounds. I give them away to our surveyors/inspectors.
    · Reply · Share