right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Spain? Italy? Hawaii? Where do you want to travel WHILE getting college credit? REGISTER NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

what is your favorite off white paint for the wall and ceiling?

IgloooIglooo 9289 replies229 threads Senior Member
Getting ready to paint the house. I used to like Benjamin Moore Navajo white. This time around, it looked a bit too yellow. I swear they changed the formula.
30 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: what is your favorite off white paint for the wall and ceiling?

• cptofthehousecptofthehouse 30658 replies59 threads Senior Member
    Cottonball White
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 33318 replies163 threads Senior Member
    I like Benjamin Moore Alabaster - it used to be 876. It looks good with everything except the color Andersen doors and windows are painted. (It still looks good, but you realize how much gray is in the Andersen white.)
    · Reply · Share
  • mompopmompop 211 replies3 threads Junior Member
    White dove (Benjamin Moore) is a lovely very slightly creamy white. I use it everywhere.
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 9289 replies229 threads Senior Member
    Cotton ball is pretty. I think it is tad too warm for my space. If I am looking for something slightly darker than alabaster in the same direction, would dove wing work?
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 8521 replies519 threads Senior Member
    My house is mainly painted in Dunn Edwards Swiss coffee which we picked when we built our house in 97. I strongly dislike Navajo white which I find very yellow. My H used to use Najavo White in all the rentals he managed. To me even freshly painted it looks dirty. I can’t remember what my D ended up with this past spring but I was surprised how hard it is to find a shade of white we liked.
    · Reply · Share
  • whidbeyite2002whidbeyite2002 339 replies1 threads Member
    In BM, I like Alabaster, Cloud White, and White Dove. That said, I had my Benjamin Moore store match Behr’s Powdered Snow for trim in BM Advance paint, and I really like it. It might be too yellow for you, though. I prefer warmer tones.

When I painted apartments in my 20s, I used Navajo White a lot. Either I changed or the colors (in various brands) changed. I don’t like it very much anymore.
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 8
    I think they changed the color of Navajo white. I like those colors, too. They are colorless but not dark enough for the room. I need to go darker.
    Lighting makes all the difference.

@GRITS80 Isn't that the truth!
    edited August 8
    · Reply · Share
  • helpingmom40helpingmom40 445 replies10 threads Member
    I really like Vermont Cream from Behr. We have it on all the trim and interior doors.
    · Reply · Share
    Cottage White from Behr is nice, too. I’ve used it on bathroom trim.
    · Reply · Share
  • somemomsomemom 11078 replies337 threads Senior Member
    I just did White Dove on ceilings, after reading it so often on decorator blogs and it looks great, I think we will be moving on to paint some walls that color, as the latte walls are just too dark.
    · Reply · Share
    To me even freshly painted it looks dirty

@mom60 That's what I liked about Navajo white. Now it looks yellow not dirty
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 30658 replies59 threads Senior Member
    Google Laurlbern best white paint. She goes into a great detail about the nuances of some of these shades of Benjamin Moore paints
    · Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 2240 replies222 threads Senior Member
    @whidbeyite2002 - that’s a great article.

I like BM Simply White.
    · Reply · Share
  • amsunshineamsunshine 1268 replies12 threads Senior Member
    edited August 8
    My ceilings and trim are all Behr Swiss Coffee, although I also like Benjamin Moore White Dove. My walls are all various shades of Benjamin Moore colors (I like lots of color). The Swiss Coffee ceilings and trim are great with all of our wall colors.
    edited August 8
    · Reply · Share
  • rhododendronrhododendron 458 replies19 threads Member
    edited August 8
    For a bright, but not cold, white, I like BM Super White. Stupid name, good color..
    edited August 8
    · Reply · Share
  • musicmom1215musicmom1215 2962 replies57 threads Senior Member
    My cabinets, trim, baseboards, etc. are all painted Behr Swiss Coffee. It's a warm white.
    · Reply · Share
  • musicmom1215musicmom1215 2962 replies57 threads Senior Member
    And...I was shopping for kitchen counter tops today and remarked to the salesperson how amazing it is that there are so many shades of white!
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 9662 replies84 threads Senior Member
    In 1993, our new house had all walls and ceilings painted Navajo white. We liked it. But about 15 years ago we hired a painter to paint the first floor (and stairwell and upstairs hall which is open to the 2 story family room). For walls we picked a color is a bit darker but still neutral. For ceilings we picked white. We really like the look, but admittedly it is more work (or in our case labor charge) to have the "cutting in" at the ceiling edge.
    · Reply · Share