right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Verto Education gives first-year students the opportunity to travel, earn college credit, and graduate in four years. RSVP for their virtual fair on Sept. 29 and engage with them in an exclusive AMA session.
Get all the info you need to know to complete the FAFSA during our LIVE webinar Thursday, Sept 24, at 7pm ET. Hear from financial aid experts on deadlines, what documents you will need, and how your info will be used to calculate aid. REGISTER NOW and share your questions.
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Remembering your grandparent's medicine closet.

kiddiekiddie 3988 replies250 threads Senior Member
My husband and I were reminiscing yesterday about the products our grandparents or parents kept in their medicine chest that we don't use anymore (wouldn't find in our medicine chest)

We cam up with:

Brioschi (in the big blue bottle)

Alka-seltzer (just for stomach upsets there was no alka-seltzer for colds back then)

Ponds (in the big blue tub - we used it to cool sunburn)

mercurochrome (remember that orange color on your wound)

dippity do (in bright green)

So take a walk down memory lane and see what you can come up with!

44 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Remembering your grandparent's medicine closet.

• LindagafLindagaf 11283 replies603 threads Super Moderator
    Haha, Dippity Do!

Noxzema.

Campho-phenique.

Horribly sticky pink Bandaids that pulled your hair out.

That red stuff that got put on you whenever you had a cut.

Mysterious bottles.

Loved my grandma’s medicine cabinet.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 5843 replies95 threads Senior Member
    Cornhuskers hand lotion! My grandfather applied it several times throughout the day.

Recently I had to be fingerprinted for a volunteer role and the facility had people apply Cornhuskers prior to the digital fingerprinting...the woman working there said the lotion makes the fingerprints darker. The smell triggered many memories of my grandparents and their house!
    · Reply · Share
  • travelnuttravelnut 2067 replies15 threads Senior Member
    Large blue bottle of Nivea lotion and jar of Nivea cream. Calamine lotion and witch hazel.

Do they still make Brioschi? I’d forgotten all about it. Fun topic.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3988 replies250 threads Senior Member
    We still use witch hazel - my husband is a big fan of it. Talking about witch hazel was what brought up the other stuff we used to use.
    · Reply · Share
    @Lindagaf that red/orange stuff was mercurochrome it was an antiseptic (I guess the only one around back then)
    · Reply · Share
  • frazzled1frazzled1 5623 replies247 threads Senior Member
    edited August 14
    Geritol. My grandpa was a big fan. There was a significant alcohol content back in the day.

My grandmother kept her loose face powder in the medicine cabinet. I can’t remember the brand, but it came in a round cardboard container with a beautiful gold and black design.
    edited August 14
    · Reply · Share
  • yauponreduxyauponredux 843 replies27 threads Member
    And everything was decades past the expiration date!
    · Reply · Share
  • snowballsnowball 3160 replies260 threads Senior Member
    And everything was decades past the expiration date!

Did items have expiration dates then?

My dad was a wannabe doctor; mercurochrome was his favorite!

· Reply · Share
  • atomomatomom 4760 replies41 threads Senior Member
    edited August 14
    My parents: Calamine lotion, Vicks Vapo rub (I still love the smell of it). Aspirin. Pepto Bismol. Bengay (hate the smell of that). Solarcaine. Halls Mentho-lyptus cough drops. Hydrogen peroxide. Rubbing alcohol. Bandaids, cotton balls, tape, gauze, ace bandages.

I didn't visit my grandparents often and don't remember looking in their medicine cabinets. There was probably just a bottle of aspirin in there and grandpa's razor. My dad said that when he was a child (1930s) his father used leeches!
    edited August 14
    · Reply · Share
    My husband and I are the only ones around who still use aspirin when we have a headache (never tylenol). It is just what I always used and never changed. I remember when my daughter was little and there was all this talk about not giving aspirin to children because it might cause Reye's syndrome, I asked my pediatrician so at what age can she have aspirin. Her answer was never - just stick with tylenol. She is 26 and I don't think she has ever had aspirin.
    · Reply · Share
  • TatinGTatinG 7376 replies121 threads Senior Member
    Castor oil

Iodine

Mercurochrome

Outgrow
    · Reply · Share
  • surfcitysurfcity 2850 replies64 threads Senior Member
    Toothpaste. I dont think my grandparents could afford any other products. Maybe not even toothpaste as my dad said they could not afford going to a dentist until he was in high school.

My mom always had Jean Nate splash and probably some avon products. First aid wise I just remember band aids and aspirin. Maybe witch hazel
    · Reply · Share
    @TatinG what is "outgrow"
    · Reply · Share
  • mamaedefamiliamamaedefamilia 3864 replies25 threads Senior Member
    In addition to items mentioned above like calamine, Ponds and Noxzema:

Mercury based thermometers (both types! if you know what I mean)
    Old Spice cologne
    Baby Aspirin
    Dark red cough syrup that was very boozy tasting, brand??? It worked great.
    Jergens lotion
    Hydrogen Peroxide
    · Reply · Share
  • TatinGTatinG 7376 replies121 threads Senior Member
    @kiddie "Outgro" was a topical ointment for ingrown toenail. The old formula hardened the skin and forced the nail out. It may also have had some pain reliever in it.
    · Reply · Share
  • CottonTalesCottonTales 1604 replies27 threads Senior Member
    Poligrip and the denture case!
    · Reply · Share
  • JustaMomJustaMom 2941 replies103 threads Senior Member
    Bayer chewable aspirin - orange
    Sucrets in the tin - I still have one from my grandmother - I use it in my sewing bin
    Vicks-VapoRub - in the beautiful cobalt blue jar - I still have one of those too!

My grandma wasn't much into products, she had homemade recipes for everything! But those three were staples.
    · Reply · Share
  • CottonTalesCottonTales 1604 replies27 threads Senior Member
    In post #16 I meant Polident, not Poligrip. Pretty sure they didn't have Poligrip back then
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 5483 replies198 threads Senior Member
    Happy Face (face wash)
    Phisoderm (or was it phisohex?)

It wasn’t in the medicine cabinet, but made me think of Ovaltine also.
    I don’t know if any of these things still exist.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5950 replies272 threads Senior Member
    Yes to a lot of the above. In addition:

St. Joseph Aspirin for Children (they had six)

Bromo Seltzer

Ipana (toothpaste)

Williams Mug shaving soap (in an old diner-style mug) and a boar bristle brush

Grandma used nothing but Pond’s cold cream.
    · Reply · Share