right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, and Student Voices - vol. 3 eBooks NOW!

L'Shana Tova

MarilynMarilyn 4469 replies148 threads Senior Member
Wishing all a safe, healthy, and happy new year!
13 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: L'Shana Tova

• bookwormbookworm 9378 replies76 threads Senior Member
    Ah, what a difference from being with family the first night, and GF the second. At least 30-40 people at each. I have a friend coming from 2 hours away for tomorrow. I ordered a dinner for two. I have flowers and will set a nice table, but still. Next year, may everyone live in peace and harmony.
    · Reply · Share
  • MarilynMarilyn 4469 replies148 threads Senior Member
    One silver lining is that I can wear slippers to services. And I don't have to worry about finding a parking space, or finding seats away from the chatty contingent. Just trying to find something positive to consider.... Having just the two of us has been the usual most of the time since we moved. The honey cake and chopped liver are done - and it was hard to track down chicken livers!

I am glad I got the new desktop, monitor, and webcam in time. Son will join us to watch virtually from far away.
    · Reply · Share
  • runnersmomrunnersmom 2545 replies37 threads Senior Member
    L'Shana Tova to all who celebrate! Will have 2 kids and DIL for dinner tonight and 1 kid tomorrow. Smallest holiday table I've set in decades. Services tomorrow on YouTube. Hoping for a happy, sweet, healthy and safe New Year for all.
    · Reply · Share
  • snowballsnowball 3187 replies260 threads Senior Member
    My family recipe for brisket includes Kitchen Bouquet which seems to be missing from the grocery store shelves. My aunt mentioned it last week, and I assume she just didn't want to run to multiple store; I don't blame her. My daughter called last night, she lives out of state, and says she has called or been to 6 stores; no one has Kitchen Bouquet. I google to see if it has been discontinued and the first hit gave me my answer. It is made by a sub company of Clorox; guess they are busy with other products :wink:

We are going to have dinner tomorrow night, mainly for my mother; she is having trouble with being home as well as my dad's death last year. It will just be 6 of us and we will stay outside on my aunt's deck; social distancing in place. This will be the first time we will be dining with others and I am a bit nervous, but think it will be ok.

Happy Healthy New Year to all.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 4095 replies295 threads Senior Member
    Shana Tova to my CC friends! I am alone tonight. Tomorrow, Zoom Rosh Hashonah in person with my daughter and niece, rather than a big family gathering in MA. Bittersweet but not as awful as Zoom Seder during the worst of Covid in NYC! I thought this was a blessing with Jewish origins but Google tells me it's Irish. No matter, it fits the times: May the best day of your past be the worst day of your future.
    · Reply · Share
  • shellfellshellfell 3907 replies12 threads Senior Member
    L'shana tova to all of you. Just DH and I at home, altho all the years kids were in college/grad school, it was only us.

Just video chatted with S1, DIL and the grandkids who were enjoying the challah DIL made. Wish we could be with them.

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy new year.
    · Reply · Share
  • collage1collage1 2109 replies76 threads Senior Member
    L'shana tova to everyone. May the new year bring good health, happiness and some semblance of normal for us all.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 3052 replies14 threads Senior Member
    Shana Tova to you all!
    · Reply · Share
  • NJresNJres 6145 replies189 threads Senior Member
    edited September 19
    ! שנה טובה
    edited September 19
    · Reply · Share
  • snowballsnowball 3187 replies260 threads Senior Member
    For those that did online synagogue today, how did it go? I will admit, I washed up and put on exercise clothes and joined with my cup of coffee. While I loved the idea of not having to get dressed up, and wondering if I just put on the dress I wore last year, it felt odd. Enjoyed the Rabbi's sermon, but he is nothing like our senior Rabbi; the one that drew us to this synagogue in the 80's. The newer Rabbi did not mention RBG, which I predicted; the senior Rabbi would have had a politically charged sermon.

· Reply · Share
  • shellfellshellfell 3907 replies12 threads Senior Member
    I've been streaming services from a temple nowhere near where I live for several years because I really couldn't tolerate the rabbi at our temple. So not being dressed up was normal for me. It was odd seeing the empty sanctuary in the livestream - only rabbis, cantors, organist & a few choir members. All were socially distanced and the organist and choir members were masked. The torah reading and aliyah were done by Zoom; the shofar was pre-recorded outdoors.

The rabbi started the service talking about RBG, and she was talked about again before kaddish.
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13831 replies114 threads Senior Member
    Our shul used Zoom. Different people led parts of the service. Technology worked and people are comfortable with it, thanks to daily zoom minyan the past few months. Ironically, pre-covid, our minyan was perpetually under-attended and there was serious consideration to reduce/eliminate it. Now we have 15-20 people for evening minyan all the time, and we worked out the technical kinks before HH.

It was much more interactive than livestreaming, according to a congregant I talked to this am who attended our service and afterwards popped in on Adas Israel's service (major synagogue in DC). He found Adas's dark and empty sanctuary depressing.

OTOH, our congregation found out about RBG at the end of the service via the hazzan's husband. A huge collective, emotional response.

L'shana tovah to all, and may the coming year bring health and peace to all.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mom0f3Mom0f3 247 replies31 threads Junior Member
    We enjoyed the Zoom service at our Shul. The Rabbi talked about RBG and systemic racism in his sermon, and the prayer for our country was delivered by Justice Stephen Breyer (via Zoom). Lifted my very low spirits.
    · Reply · Share