right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, Student Voices - vol. 3, and Student Voices - vol. 4 eBooks NOW!
In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Husband lost job

southerncalimomsoutherncalimom 253 replies9 threads Junior Member
I haven’t posted in awhile but today my husband lost his job and I’m frankly terrified. My husband and I handle things differently. I’m the worrier and can’t seem to distract myself and he is the introvert who doesn’t want to talk and just turns to his computer. I guess I just needed somewhere to let this out. We aren’t telling the kids yet and my sweet mom is not the confidant she could be in her younger days. Thank you for listening. It is appreciated.
58 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Husband lost job

• southerncalimomsoutherncalimom 253 replies9 threads Junior Member
    I just realized I should have put this in the
    ‘Say it here thread”
    · Reply · Share
  • southerncalimomsoutherncalimom 253 replies9 threads Junior Member
    Thank you for the kind words. That is a lovely story about your friends. A thoughtful quiet distraction Is a wonderful gift.

I know this too shall pass and it could be worse...but tonight...it does indeed feel hard.
    · Reply · Share
  • collage1collage1 2111 replies76 threads Senior Member
    I'm so sorry. I hope you will come here and unload when and if you want to. We have been there as well. I remember experiencing lots of tough emotions. Sending (((hugs))).
    · Reply · Share
  • TdoesCollegeTdoesCollege 187 replies1 threads Junior Member
    {Hugs}
    · Reply · Share
  • hrh19hrh19 912 replies1 threads Member
    No advice, @southerncalimom, but cyber hugs are coming your way. H was laid off twice, once just as S was headed off to college. We were thankful that we didn't need to have S change his plans. We were also thankful that I had good benefits that we were able to access immediately. All my best to you and your family.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 36163 replies397 threads Senior Member
    I’m so sorry! My H was always afraid of losing his job and I remember how sad I was when I lost jobs I loved, especially when I needed to income to contribute to the household. Know that you and your H are in our thoughts.

Have him keep his skill set as current and marketable as possible and hopefully something will evolve sooner than later.
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3873 replies94 threads Senior Member
    I am so sorry. I know how scary that can be. Sending prayers your way.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 23613 replies308 threads Senior Member
    It is a big shock to be let go. I've been there a few times. It is like a break up - very upsetting even if it is something you wanted. Not easy to do, but try to remember it is not personal.

As others said, give your husband some time to process and sort out his emotions.

I am sorry you are going through this now.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 19121 replies339 threads Senior Member
    Been there, done that, more times than I'd like to remember. It is hard. Very hard. Let him grieve, let him be angry, whatever he needs. But know that he has to get back in the saddle and just keep searching until the next opportunity comes along. Opportunities are out there, but they don't necessarily look like what we're used to.
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 12164 replies82 threads Senior Member
    Is this related to COVID?

Take time before making any decisions.

Been there- so sorry you are right now.
    · Reply · Share
  • 2VU06092VU0609 3732 replies62 threads Senior Member
    edited September 24
    All I have is to say is I'm sorry this is happening to your family.
    edited September 24
    · Reply · Share
  • HighTide2020HighTide2020 172 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I'm so sorry. It is a huge loss- almost like a divorce. I hope something great comes up for him.
    · Reply · Share
  • naviancenaviance 612 replies8 threads Member
    So sorry that you and your family have to go through this. And sending hugs your way. Hopefully, this will be in the rearview mirror sooner than later.
    · Reply · Share
  • JustaMomJustaMom 2956 replies103 threads Senior Member
    edited September 24
    @southerncalimom I'm sorry for the stress this is adding to you and very likely your H. Job loss is up there on the top 10 stressors in our adult lives. It can lead to illness due to the stress and worry, so most importantly please find a way(s) to release that, whether through exercise, meditation, or whatever. I think just sharing here is a very good start.
    edited September 24
    · Reply · Share