right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, Student Voices - vol. 3, and Student Voices - vol. 4 eBooks NOW!
In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Knee replacement

thumper1thumper1 79097 replies3571 threads Senior Member
I’m having a partial knee replacement, right knee, on Thursday. It’s a very old injury related knee issue, not age related. Rest of my knee and other knee both look fine.

So...anyone have any sage advice or experiences worth sharing about this? Mine is day surgery.
70 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Knee replacement

• HighTide2020HighTide2020 174 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Not as familiar with partial. My colleague had total replacement and the first couple of weeks of recovery were difficult and painful- and he was a very fit person. The result was excellent, though, and he was back golfing and cycling in a couple of months. Advice would be- be careful with the pain meds (don't underuse or overuse) and do the PT religiously. Best of luck with it.
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 6913 replies2 threads Senior Member
    I have no experience with knee replacement.

One person I know had a total shoulder replacement. Two weeks afterward they said it was bad and they would never do it again. Six months afterward they said that it was wonderful and they were going to get the other one done (which they did).

To me this seems to suggest that things will improve over time, and do not get discouraged in the short term because improvement will continue. However, I have also heard that knees are easier than shoulders.

I had knee surgery many years ago and was very happy with the result both very soon afterward and years later. It did improve slowly over an extended period of time. 25 years later I have trouble remembering which knee was operated on. My only regrets are not having it done earlier, and the fact that my very cool matching "vampire bite" scars (two small dots, exactly symmetric on both sides of the knee) have faded and I cannot find them anymore.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 11047 replies137 threads Senior Member
    My bff’s husband just had one. He said you will be up and moving right away. Ice ice ice. Stick with your PT religiously.

He had a great outcome!

Speedy recovery!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 79097 replies3571 threads Senior Member
    They are sending me one of those ice machine things. The tubing will be wrapped around my leg. Ice and water are put into the machine which then pumps it continually. It also does some compression thing.

My physical therapy begins the day OF my surgery. They will meet me when I get home unless it’s very late in the day.

I definitely will be good about the pain meds for a reasonable amount of time.
    · Reply · Share
  • travelnuttravelnut 2073 replies15 threads Senior Member
    I want to be very encouraging, @thumper1. Years ago, my mother broke her knee in a fall. Drs gave it “a year to heal” and weren’t pleased with the results. She already had arthritis and 2 other joint impacting diseases. They did a full joint replacement followed by PT and it was an amazingly good outcome for someone older and frailer. Ask about what work-arounds you might need at home initially. Drs don’t always focus on this, but nurses and/or PTs may. All the best with your surgery.
    · Reply · Share
    @travelnut thank you. Yes, the home PT has already taken information about my house and needs related to that. His primary focus will be making sure I can do what I need to do in my home. He is three times a week for two weeks. After that, I will have outpatient PT and that’s when they will do the big work on rebuilding strength and range of motion.

I’m hoping for a good outcome...and a decent recovery.
    · Reply · Share
  • sevmomsevmom 9017 replies67 threads Senior Member
    All the best @thumper1! Good luck on Thursday!
    · Reply · Share
  • powercropperpowercropper 1820 replies77 threads Senior Member
    I had partial knee replacement this year and am so glad I did. Had a great outcome.

I had PT come to my house for the first 2 weeks before I had to drive to my Rehab PT office. Early frustration was trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in. Due to other health issues, there was no effective step down drug for my pain. And I am not supposed to take Advil.

I suggest you ask for a prescription for a step down drug once you get through the initial pain. For me, it was about 3 days.

I set up camp in H’s recliner in the living room. Had H stock me up with water, tv remotes, cell phone and charger, and magazines I could flip through. Not in the mood for actually reading a book.

I did not mind using a walker, and figured how how to attach a bag so I could carry things from room to room. Once I switched to using a cane, i carried things in my fanny pack.

Anesthesia will most likely cause constipation, and drinking lots of water is not enough. Go ahead and buy Miralax and take it daily. Trust me, I drink 10-12 glasses of water a day, and thought it was enough. Very frustrating, and hard to resolve once you realize your condition.

It took me 3.5 months before I could walk with my H on hiking trails. I was inactive for several years before my surgery, caring for my mom with dementia. So if you have been active before your surgery, you will bounce back more quickly .

Feel free to ask more questions, or PM me. Best of luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • gosmomgosmom 2064 replies58 threads Senior Member
    will echo what @powercropper said about constipation. Neighbor was convinced he would not get constipated as long as he drank lots of water. Uh, nope. Didn't/couldn't poop for 7 days. Got so bad, he actually ended up in ER.
    Now, the minute he hears anyone mention painkillers, he almost drags them to drugstore to get Miralax.
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13836 replies114 threads Senior Member
    For those of you have been through this, how long was it before you were allowed to go up/down stairs?
    · Reply · Share
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 4095 replies295 threads Senior Member
    For those of you have been through this, how long was it before you were allowed to go up/down stairs?

@CountingDown, I had a total knee replacement in 2018. I was living two flights up, so I stayed with a friend in an elevator building for a week after the 4-day hospital stay. After 4 or 5 days, I took the subway one stop to pick up my own meds at a pharmacy. That trip had steps. One step at a time! And I was totally ready to go home when I did.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35886 replies404 threads Senior Member
    I nicely offered to take a friend to lunch a few days after his surgery. I offered to pick him up and learned he'd already been walking everywhere. Just not stairs.

How you react will be individual. I do hope your DH spoils you a bit, as powercropper's did. Plus brings your favorite meals.
    Best to you, thumper.
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13836 replies114 threads Senior Member
    @thumper1, Wishing you a smooth procedure and an easy recovery! My dad swore by doing "prehab" on his exercise bike beforehand to get his leg muscles strong.
    · Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 8639 replies28 threads Senior Member
    Hope all goes well @thumper1.

H had his knee replaced in January, and it has been great. He went from constant pain to being able to go on walks again (he is now up to 4 miles).

My only advice was to follow doctor's orders and do the PT religiously. And the ice machine is great, btw.
    · Reply · Share
  • LizardlyLizardly 2700 replies11 threads Senior Member
    Ice ice baby!

Also milk of magnesia. Those opioids work on pain, but stop you up.

You might also retain fluids. Be patient about that. Stay off the scale.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 30787 replies59 threads Senior Member
    Ice ice ice. And sennecott and Metamucil. Stay ahead of things. Also Physical Therapy.
    · Reply · Share
  • Singersmom07Singersmom07 4465 replies82 threads Senior Member
    DH had total knee replacement this year. They started his pt in the recovery room. He stayed overnight and pt made sure he could use a walker and use a cane to go up and down stairs. He was going up and down at home within a day. He was watering plants in the backyard with his walker with a few days. We set up the long side of the sectional as a day bed to get knee at right height above heart. Recliners don’t necessarily get it high enough. Ice religiously and do the pt from day 1.

He is still religiously doing it on his own. The leg was so weak from years of deterioration it took a long time to get strength back. He is working on leg strength on the other one now so when he does it in a couple of months recovery will be easier.
    · Reply · Share
    I got an ice pack similar to this one, which really, really helped:
    https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-hot-&-cold-large-compress/ID=prod6375081-product
    · Reply · Share
    I’m getting the ice machine thing, and a gel pack that can be frozen and uses Velcro to wrap around my knee. I think that should do it for ice!

I’m not a laxative person...so...Apple juice or what can be used instead?

Clothing? I’m thinking I have some cotton dresses that will probably be easier than anything else.
    · Reply · Share
    Thumper, as soon as they took out the staples in the doctor's office, I started using compression knee-highs because my ankle and foot were very swollen. It was a big relief when the swelling went down.

Also, I don't think apple juice will do the job. Miralax works differently from regular laxatives. Also maybe fiber supplements like Metamucil or Fibercon, with lots of water.
    · Reply · Share