right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Arrest Those Noisy Classical Flutists!

saxsax 5272 replies156 threads Senior Member
edited July 2007 in Parent Cafe
http://www.centredaily.com/news/breaking_news/story/139145.html

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_region/20070625_Daniel_Rubin___Balancing_rights_of_freedom_to_sing.html

Freedom of speech or noise violation?

Well, this one is a tough one. I absolutely love street musicians/performers and would find a city dull without them. However, if I lived in a condo above them and they were there for hours at a time I guess it could get old. Of course anything beats a jackhammer and construction noise and I don't see them getting arrested.

and heres a shout out to the dude who plays that mean sax outside the ball park...man, I'd love to hear you let loose
edited July 2007
23 replies
Post edited by sax on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Arrest Those Noisy Classical Flutists!

• MarianMarian 13228 replies83 threads Senior Member
    Flute can be awfully screechy sometimes. Sax I wouldn't mind.
    · Reply · Share
  • binxbinx 4229 replies89 threads Senior Member
    I know many of you are probably tired of me starting my posts with "when I lived in Germany" ;) but...

There are quiet hours in Germany. They were a pain, sometimes, and I personally thought they were too restrictive. No noise before 7 a.m. Between noon and two. After 10 p.m. All day Sunday.

Certain noises were restricted further. No lawnmowing (or other power yard tools) after 6 p.m., or after 4 p.m. on Saturdays (and all day Sunday.)

Having a family of musicians, it was nice to have parameters to know when practicing was okay. Since so many people live in apartments, it helps to have those things spelled out.

However, the articles quoted above seem to be about noise during the daytime. And in public parks / squares. I don't believe that anybody should have a right to demand 24 hour silence. It seems like the city could do some compromising here. Set certain hours. Require licensing. Set aside certain areas. Whatever. I think it's short-sighted to bann it all together.

As for the guy in the apartment complaining about noise from the street - it seems an issue to take up with the landlord. If the apartment can't be sound-proofed somehow, then moving might be a possibility.

Street musicians add a degree of culture and atmosphere. In Europe we kept a pocketful of change to give to street performers. We ignored those doing out-right begging, but we liked to reward anybody making an effort to work for it. We saw some amazing performances, too - really memorable. The guy playing classical music on glasses of water! The Russian group singing and playing opera. The 5 classical musicians who were spontaneously joined by a clown playing an accordian (who was quite talented and only added to their performance!)
    · Reply · Share
  • saxsax 5272 replies156 threads Senior Member
    Wow, I would have loved to see the guy with the water. Best weird performance I've seen lately is a juggler with a keyboard at his feet who plays great music with the balls hiting the keyboard while juggling. Like this guy but much better:
    http://massdestraction.com/2206-Juggling_keyboard_player.html
    I like the quiet hours. Maybe we should send them your post, Binx. A much more civilized life.
    · Reply · Share
  • maritemarite 21343 replies243 threads Senior Member
    I just read a news item that Harvard Square has 300 registered street performers (and most seem to be performing every evening in summer!) People throng to come and watch and listen (the Square will turn itself into Hogwarts on July 20).
    I love the sound of a flautist performing classical music. What I'd like to silence are the gas-powered lawn-mowers, leaf blowers, chain-saws, whose noise is not nearly as euphonious.
    · Reply · Share
    This guy is in Vienna - the guy we saw was in Berlin. But very similar:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01LSA3iCTY0
    · Reply · Share
    Okay, now I want to visit Harvard.
    Very cool on the water glasses. Reminds me of the Ed Sullivan Show and the guy with the twirling plates :)
    · Reply · Share
    Here is the story:
    Some might think Harvard would be immune to a frenzy that has beguiled fourth graders and reportedly resulted in 1.4 million book "preorders" at online book-seller Amazon.co.uk, but they'd be wrong.

Not to be outdone by London, where author J.K. Rowling plans a midnight reading for her book's release date, Harvard Summer School and the Harvard Square Business Association are organizing "the most grand celebration of literature in Harvard history."

To association executive director Denise Jillson, a Potter-fest at Harvard Square is a no-brainer.

"'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' and the hallowed halls of Harvard," she said, connecting the dots.

The square's Potter gala is set for July 20, in the hours leading up to the book's release.

Plans call for a concert featuring such bands as Harry & the Potters, and there will be a scavenger hunt for owls, bats, and red stones at the Harvard Museum of Natural History, organizers said.
    http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2007/06/harvard_sq_to_b.html
    For a picture of Hogwarts, er... Annenberg Hall (aka freshman dining hall) see:
    http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~memhall/images2/annen1.jpg
    · Reply · Share
    Oh, and I'm used to buskers in Paris metros. They make the stations so much more interesting. My nephew used to perform (in his other life, he taught physics in high school).
    · Reply · Share
  • momof3sonsmomof3sons 4968 replies148 threads Senior Member
    Interesting thread as at this very moment, my 15 year old trumpet player is practicing with the windows open. No complaints so far. (It's about noon and he is quite good.) I once "used" him to get back at a next door neighbor who was BLASTING rap music (is that really "music?") outside. So, I asked my son to open his window which faced the neighbor's house, and play his trumpet facing their house. It was quite effective in getting our point across. ;)
    · Reply · Share
    And now, for something different:

Maestro Gives New Meaning to Traffic Jam

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/index.html
    · Reply · Share
    Marite - I'm not finding the article you are referencing. Nothing on the NYTimes arts page looks appropriate, and a search for Maestro or traffic jam doesn't turn anything up. Can you share a bit more?
    · Reply · Share
    Binx:

Sorry, I should have explained. If your scroll down a bit on that page, there's a picture of the Geo. Washington bridge (I think) with a caption Celebrating the Bridge and The Bridge as Instrument. Click on the picture, and it will bring up a video of an interview with the "maestro" and clips of his "composition." It's the opposite of making music with glasses!
    · Reply · Share
  • MichaelNKatMichaelNKat 4250 replies58 threads Senior Member
    As someone whose office is on Broad St in center city Philadelphia, (on what is now called The Avenue of the Arts) the article in the Inquirer was particularly disturbing. It reflects a developing schizophrenia in a city that on one hand wants to be known as a center for performing and fine arts but on the other hand is now seeking to criminalize those who would perform their art in public parks, which historically have played such a critical role in all forms of 1st amendment activities. Not everyone can afford $100 a seat tickets at fancy performance venues and not every performer gets the opportunity to perform in them. Our public parks are the perfect place for for cultural and artistic expressions that might otherwise not have a place to be enjoyed. While reasonable limits on time, manner and volume are appropriate, outright banning of public performances in parks is not. Those who choose to live adjacent to a park like Rittenhouse Square should understand that they do so knowing that the park will be used by a variety of people in a variety of ways. If you want quiet and solitude, don't live in the heart of a bustling city and certainly don't live adjacent to a park that has been used in this manner for decades.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJresNJres 6022 replies189 threads Senior Member
    Flute can be awfully screechy sometimes. Sax I wouldn't mind.

Nothing worse than loud sax!
    · Reply · Share
  • mommusicmommusic 8232 replies69 threads Senior Member
    Nothing worse than loud sax!

NJres: 1. Bagpipes 2. Accordion

We enjoyed the street musicians in Jerusalem very much. It's a measure of a city's vibrancy to have art and music overflowing onto the street corners, IMO.
    · Reply · Share
    well, how about an off key vocalist? Ouch on the sax :)
    · Reply · Share
  • momof3sonsmomof3sons 4968 replies148 threads Senior Member
    Scratchy violin. <<shudders>>
    · Reply · Share
    There used to be a sax player on the Savannah River Street- I think he bought his sax at a pawn shop, perhaps, and figured out how to play two or three notes. And did it all day long. It was excruciating. Wails and squacks and migraine-inducing repetition.

Sax, bagpipes, and accordians all can sound good in the right place at the right time with a talented musician. "Amazing Grace" on bagpipes at a funeral, as the piper walks off and the sound fades, is absolutely beautiful.

Bagpipes in Philly's square.... probably not.
    · Reply · Share
  • mommusicmommusic 8232 replies69 threads Senior Member
    OK, that was probably an unneccessary dig at bagpipes and accordians. I apologize to all players of the above instruments. (But our family knows more jokes about those two than about violas, drummers, and sopranos put together.) ;)

I would say ANY instrument can sound horrible in the hands of a beginner, but some more than others.
    · Reply · Share
    So they need to enact a lousy musician act or maybe zones. Beginners in the middle of the Ben Franklin Bridge and closer to center city as you get better.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity