right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Laptop for college

BonTonBonTon 37 replies6 threads New Member
edited July 2007 in Parent Cafe
Well, graduation is now old news (2 weeks ago). D has been to Orientation, registered for classes, and is now researching computers to buy for school. She needs a laptop (our first) and will probably need a printer. She likes the MacBook, altho none of us have ever had an Apple. Her school gives a 12% discount on Dell and Apple products.

Does anyone have any advice for economical, new computer purchases? Has anyone used halfmania.com? I hate to open the PC vs Mac debate, but do you think there's a steep learning curve to climb with a Mac?
Thanks in advance for your input!
edited July 2007
14 replies
Post edited by BonTon on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Laptop for college

• teriwttteriwtt 12019 replies513 threads Senior Member
    I'll preface this by saying we just got a MacBook for our daughter after the same deliberation. But we did this after consulting with people of different backgrounds. We spoke to the IT people at the college (where we found out that only about 3% of computers on campus are Apples, but we went with it anyway), we spoke to students who will be in the same major (this only works if your student already has an area of study in mind), and I consulted with the people at Apple about repair/maintenance support in an environment where the MacBook is in the minority. I was encouraged by the school's IT director who said they are budgeting more and more IT money for training of their employees to work with Apples because they realize the trend is toward more Apples being on campuses. For now, if my daughter has an issue, she is covered by the three-year warranty we purchased, and would have to take her computer to a nearby Apple-authorized repair place (they have Best Buy in her college town, so it's not an issue for us).

Another positive point for us was the fact that my daughter actually had Apple experience from doing video editing at her high school when she was editor of the video yearbook. If your student has used one at all in school (and it seems as if most schools have Apples somewhere in their technology inventory), the learning curve won't be an issue.

My daughter has had her MacBook for about three weeks, and absolutely loves it. It has so many more features that college kids tend to find attractive than the PCs. In fact I happened to ask her last night what her initial impressions are now that she's had it a while and she didn't have a complaint (other than we hadn't bought her a wireless Mighty Mouse).

When we bought our MacBook (we did it on-line), they had a couple of rebates that when submitted, provided a free printer and a free nano IPod (or upgrade to a regular IPod for $49).
    · Reply · Share
  • patsmompatsmom 4218 replies508 threads Senior Member
    We bought a MacBook for our son, too, and none of us had ever used anything but a PC. The learning curve was no problem - he took a couple of days to get used to where things were, but once he transferred his files to the new laptop and figured out the e-mail, he never looked back! He absolutely loves it and will probably never go back to a PC.
    · Reply · Share
  • BayBay 12456 replies43 threads Senior Member
    Ditto what terwhitt and patsmom said. D went from PC to Apple, and likes it so much better!
    · Reply · Share
  • SportsMamaSportsMama 704 replies72 threads Member
    My daughter has orientation this week, so I will see if they have any specific requirements for her major(engineering). If not, can you tell me more specifically what you/your child likes about the MacBook?
    · Reply · Share
  • loslobos71loslobos71 1765 replies4 threads. Senior Member
    MacBook+iPhone=godly.
    · Reply · Share
  • blucrooblucroo 807 replies22 threads Member
    D went macbook and is converting the rest of us pc-ers to apple-wannabe's.
    Go to apples for education or check with the college to see if they have a deal with apple. schools that are listed with apple get a discount and sometimes you can get a printer for free (or really discounted)
    · Reply · Share
  • k_jok_jo 137 replies0 threads Junior Member
    like blucroo said -- go to the apple education store online. its www.apple.com and then click "education" on the side and select her school.

Right now they are doing their typically education discounts (its around 10%) and a free iPod nano by mail in rebate with the purchase of a computer. So its a great deal.

As for printers, most work with Macs these days, and I probably wouldn't spend over $100 for an inkjet printer. I have an old Epson 740 that's looking to be at least 8 years old that still works fine. www.MacMall.com and www.cdw.com have always served me well for other Mac related purchases like printers and external harddrives-- fast basic shipping and fair prices, so thats always helpful.
    · Reply · Share
  • corrangedcorranged 6602 replies82 threads Senior Member
    I had the same choice last year and chose a MacBook. Almost all of my friends and all the girls in my suite had MacBooks. I got a printer and iPod for free when I bought it. I am very happy with my decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 34785 replies1076 threads Senior Member
    Im thinking of getting one this summer- 17 yr old D & I share an ibook- but it is getting old.
    She is going to need her own computer for senior year ( she had one, but a few years ago she used it standing up and it twanked the screen)
    Also- as noted Leopard will be coming out on my birthday- ( but really Tiger is grrrreat!)
    I just can't decide what size screen to get- or if I want Pro or not- we would still share both of them ( easier to keep track of what she is doing), but she would also probably be using it for the first few years of college ( till she knows what she needs)
    Im thinking less than 17 inch screen however, will be much more portable.

( my first laptop had 18 MB of RAM!!)

I know Apples are more spendy, but we have always had them, even refurbished ones, and have had great experience for almost 20 years
    · Reply · Share
  • SportsMamaSportsMama 704 replies72 threads Member
    Everyone keeps saying that they love the Apple products, but no one is saying why they like them better than a PC. I don't know much about computers, so if you could fill me in, it would be appreciated! Thanks.
    · Reply · Share
  • corrangedcorranged 6602 replies82 threads Senior Member
    I like my Apple computer better than my PCs or the PCs I use because the Apple looks sleeker, works faster, is easier to use, has fewer problems, has better customer support, has more interesting features, comes with more free products/services, and seems overall to be a better run company than most PC companies.
    · Reply · Share
  • BonTonBonTon 37 replies6 threads New Member
    Great feedback-thanks! But emeraldkity4, what are Leopard and Tiger? Also, does anyone have experience with Halfmania.com. They supposedly sell products for 1/2 price, but if it sounds too good to be true.....
    · Reply · Share
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 34785 replies1076 threads Senior Member
    Ive never used halfmania- I did just look at it for cameras- but I believe it required to subscribe to all kinds of services to be eligible for the discount
    I have bought refurbished computers from both apple and smalldog that have had the same warranty that I haven't had any problems with however.

Bonton- releases of the current OS for Mac- 10+ are named after big cats.
    the most recent OS is 10.4.10- the next one will be 10.5.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X
    · Reply · Share
  • loslobos71loslobos71 1765 replies4 threads. Senior Member
    Halfmania isn't a BBB member, so I would NEVER trust them.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity