right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have identified a log in issue that is preventing some members from accessing the site. The support team is diligently working on resolving it. We hope to have an update soon. Read more here. Thanks for your understanding!

Ingmar Bergmann, the Legend

yourworldyourworld 729 replies30 threads- Member
edited July 2007 in Parent Cafe
Ingmar Bergmann passes today at age 89.

Your thoughts?
edited July 2007
4 replies
Post edited by yourworld on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Ingmar Bergmann, the Legend

• paying3tuitionspaying3tuitions 12571 replies759 threads Senior Member
    Inga svinga nurmba...I never could understand Swedish but I spent many happy hours of college in the 1960's watching his black-and-white films, shown by the college for our evening viewing enjoyment, especially the ones starring Liv Ullman.
    · Reply · Share
  • JHSJHS 18503 replies72 threads Senior Member
    Last summer, I watched Scenes From A Marriage and Cries And Whispers multiple times. Those are really fundamental films for me -- at the very core of my taste, although I don't think I would want every film to be like that.
    · Reply · Share
  • maritemarite 21343 replies243 threads Senior Member
    I discovered Bergmann in my freshman year. A NE winter was an appropriate setting in which to watch The Seventh Seal, Virgin Spring and other movies in the same vein. Then I went back to Paris for the summer and went on my own to watch Personna. It was a very strange, disorienting experience to come out of that film into the brilliant August sun. But Bergmann had a way of drawing the viewer into his world.

When S1 was 3 and in love with the Magic Flute, we showed him Bergmann's version, which was charming and revealed a totally different side of him.
    · Reply · Share
  • yourworldyourworld 729 replies30 threads- Member
    Was "Autumn Sonata" his last international release ?

It's been >30 yrs since "Cries and Whispers" came out, and I still have not found another movie equal to it in power. There maybe moments of greatness in other movies, "Schindler's List", "Philadelphia" withstanding, but not sustaining like CNW.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity