Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

one of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . . .

Replies to: one of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . . .

• katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,255 Senior Member
    Ministry got a few mixed reviews... surprising about Underground Railroad, though... maybe the Man Booker people thought it got enough kudos already...
  • jmnva06jmnva06 Registered User Posts: 531 Member
    The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry. Cool story set in 1890s England. Best crafted story I have read in a long time.
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 29,714 Senior Member
    edited September 19
    @jmnva06 Are you reading The Essex Serpent for the CC book club? We'll be discussing it starting October 1. I'm enjoying it so far.
    @jmnva06 Are you reading The Essex Serpent for the CC book club? We'll be discussing it starting October 1. I'm enjoying it so far.
  • jmnva06jmnva06 Registered User Posts: 531 Member
    @Mathmom-- I wasn't. I read it because it was displayed in the front of my neighborhood indie bookstore. One of the cool things they do there is the staff put notes on books. The note on The Essex Serpent was "my favorite book of 2017" which made it hard to pass up
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 21,713 Senior Member
    edited September 27
    @mathmom and @doschicos , a librarian friend of mine was on the Newbery committee that gave the award to book 2 in that series, Dicey's Song.

I think that Hillbilly Elegy was over-hyped. But it is interesting, although the writing is somewhat amateurish.
    I think Dicey's Song was the best of the series, but I really did like them all. I was sorry she stopped writing them - I thought Dicey was the sort of character one could easily have followed into adulthood.
  • bookwormbookworm Registered User Posts: 7,741 Senior Member
    We read The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane in Bookclub. Someone brought the tea written about, along with a large container. I must say, a delicious tea.
  • tpcrd66tpcrd66 Registered User Posts: 430 Member
    Hi all, I'm just jumping in and apologize if this book was discussed upstream...I just asked my library to order, Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng and it's on back order. Has anyone read it yet? Worth the wait?!
  • cartera45cartera45 Registered User Posts: 12,442 Senior Member
    Highly recommend "The News of the World." Wish it had been longer. I just saw that movie rights bought as vehicle for Tom Hanks. Hope it makes it to the big screen.
  • LeastComplicatedLeastComplicated Registered User Posts: 605 Member
    Just read "The Child Finder" and "The Dry". I thought they were both mysteries worth reading. The Dry was set in Australia out in the boonies so that made it interesting. I unfortunately didn't check the "what book did you want to throw across the room" thread and also bought "Since We Fell". Bad idea.
  • kiddiekiddie Registered User Posts: 2,679 Senior Member
    Just read Little Fires Everywhere and enjoyed it
  • scout59scout59 Registered User Posts: 3,166 Senior Member
    I've read three books in the past six weeks - all were "good" but not great (at least IMO):

Sycamore, by Bryn Chancellor, about a teenage girl who disappears. Liked the characters, especially that teenage girl, but the writing sometimes got in the way.

Everything We Lost, by Valerie Geary, about a boy who believes in UFOs and alien abductions and who disappears - and the impact that disappearance has on his sister. Really liked the book until the ending - too ambiguous for me!

The Leavers, by Lisa Ko. My favorite of the three - about a mother who disappears! (I sense a theme in my recent reading habits...) Great characters, engrossing story about family and love.